Corona Virus - How does it enter the body?

scorecard

On 3/4/2020 at 6:31 AM, Sheryl said:

Please remember that this is a very new virus (in humans) and it takes time to fully understand how any virus works. All knowledge at this point is still tentative and not necessarily complete.

In addition to inhalation or contact with a mucus membrane, it is thought that oral-fecal transmission may be possible. It is known that infected people shed the virus in their feces.  This may have been a factor i nthe continued transmisison aboard that quarantined ship (though also not sure yet).

For oral-fecal too, handwashing is the best defense.

And absolutely NO rimming.

• Haha 2

On 3/4/2020 at 8:31 AM, orang37 said:

How wonderful if the primate reproductive gear could be, say, under the armpits ,,, with a complete rig under each armpit ! Perhaps coiled up in some ziplock pouch, spring-loaded when aroused so it can leap out when needed for action.

Many TV posters have evolved with their reproductive organ on top of their heads.

• Haha 1

I did buy gloves.

I am not using them yet. 

I avoid handrails, lift buttons (use stairs,  more healthy anyway), unwashed hands of motorcycle taxi drivers, door knobs...

Lift buttons at our place are covered with plastic foil, replaced daily. I use the stairs anyway. 

One poster pointed out this is a similar virus to SARS. During SARS, in HK all these things were cleaned frenetically.

Washing and disinfecting my hands often, often, often.

I wear a mask at crowded places (I don't believe a government which tells me masks are useless when masks are sold out and the government has no reserves)

Only one thing really helped during SARS in HK: social distancing.  Everything else, masks etc, is just guesswork.

Social distancing means: try to keep a distance of one meter (3 feet) from EVERYBODY. Stay at home more,  don't use BTS or taxi, don't go to crowded places, avoid bargirls (I know,  I know)...

The best informed guess about how you will get infected is:

less than one meter away from an infected person for more than 10 minutes. 

On 3/6/2020 at 2:20 PM, uhuh said:

I did buy gloves.

I am not using them yet. 

I avoid handrails, lift buttons (use stairs,  more healthy anyway), unwashed hands of motorcycle taxi drivers, door knobs...

Lift buttons at our place are covered with plastic foil, replaced daily. I use the stairs anyway. 

One poster pointed out this is a similar virus to SARS. During SARS, in HK all these things were cleaned frenetically.

Washing and disinfecting my hands often, often, often.

I wear a mask at crowded places (I don't believe a government which tells me masks are useless when masks are sold out and the government has no reserves)

Only one thing really helped during SARS in HK: social distancing.  Everything else, masks etc, is just guesswork.

Social distancing means: try to keep a distance of one meter (3 feet) from EVERYBODY. Stay at home more,  don't use BTS or taxi, don't go to crowded places, avoid bargirls (I know,  I know)...

The best informed guess about how you will get infected is:

less than one meter away from an infected person for more than 10 minutes. 

Not touching anything, not going near anybody for how long this darned thing may go on which is probably months.

Whew, you would probably have less bother if you went to a Chinese restaurant, breathed deeply, fell sick and recovered in a week as most people do. With immunity forever.

'Close contact' with an infected person is said to be one cause of transmission.

Close contact is medically defined as spending 20 minutes or more in close proximity

of an infected person.

So keep your interactions brief. Of course, on a crowded subway or a long bus/taxi ride

this precaution is seriously undermined.

Can anyone kindly direct me to Thai language guidance on the pros and cons of wearing a mask (including what type of mask) in the current coronavirus outbreak, preferably from a credible source like the Thai Ministry of Health or WHO.

On 3/4/2020 at 8:00 PM, gargamon said:

Nope. All strains of the flu are from a variant of the influenza virus. Covid-19 is a coronavirus. Influenza viruses have been in humans a long time so there is some built up resistance. Coronaviruses are transferred from animals to humans and therefore have no resistance built up.

Not totally true. 7 strains of corona. Been around for years. Some people may have some immunity.

On 3/8/2020 at 1:47 AM, Why Me said:

Not touching anything, not going near anybody for how long this darned thing may go on which is probably months.

Whew, you would probably have less bother if you went to a Chinese restaurant, breathed deeply, fell sick and recovered in a week as most people do. With immunity forever.

Met an acquaintance yesterday by chance in Sydney (no hand shake, kept a distance).

He had been keeping himself and family at home as much as possible in Germany, his wive drove him to airport in Germany, before going inside airport he put on medical gloves and mask, he changed the gloves and mask numerous times carefully ensuring he didn't touch the outside of the gloves, put the used gloves in a small ziplock bag and into rubbish bin. During check-in and boarding he kept a distance from others as much as possible. On arrival at his assigned seat he wiped the seat and top of the seat back of seat just in front etc., and tray table etc., down with alcohol gel.

Changed aircraft (forget where he said), he kept up same routine of changing gloves and mask and again wiped down his seat and seat in front. 

Kept changing the gloves and mask regularly during the flights and immediately after he deplaned, and again immediately he exited the arrival airport.

Arrival at friends house in taxi, asked that nobody come near him until he showered and changed, after shower put on fresh clothes and new mask.

Then he used gel to wipe down every surface he had touched in friends house / bathroom. Then put his dirty travel clothes into a bucket with water and lots of liquid that folks use to disinfect clothes during wash. Clothes stayed in this bucket for 3 days then into washing machine (not with other clothes), washed and into dryer for extended drying time, then wiped the machine wiped down, and the inside of the tub with alcohol gel.

Now 5 days on, no symptoms, he's hoping he's OK. 

Is this routine good or OTT or in fact not logical (missing some aspect of how virus transfer could happen)? What do you think?

2 hours ago, UbonThani said:

Not totally true. 7 strains of corona. Been around for years. Some people may have some immunity.

Yes, but we are currently only interested in one of the 7 strains, which nobody has any resistance to.

On 3/4/2020 at 9:31 AM, orang37 said:

As Khun Sheryl pointed out, we are only at the initial stages of understanding the etiology, transmission mechanism, infectiousness, morbidity, of Covid-19 ... compared to what is known about SARS, MERS, etc. 

What's known about influenza, SARS, MERS, etc., does, of course, frame the current study of Covid-19, providing a source of hypotheses.

I would assume that infection via sexual activity (all those orifices, and fluids) is happening. How the "blind watchmaker" of evolution failed to evolve organs of reproduction located far enough away from organs of excretion to avoid admixture of wet stuff ... well, maybe it was just design constraints.

How wonderful if the primate reproductive gear could be, say, under the armpits ,,, with a complete rig under each armpit ! Perhaps coiled up in some ziplock pouch, spring-loaded when aroused so it can leap out when needed for action.

cheers, ~o:37;

So, the biggest problem for you right now is that you a scared to death of having sex?

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Is this routine good or OTT or in fact not logical (missing some aspect of how virus transfer could happen)? What do you think?

I am no medical person. But from what I read, as illnesses go, C-19 is mild. In fact, sometimes so mild that a person has it without feeling anything. In any case, an otherwise healthy person should have no trouble recovering from C-19.

Which makes me think that reasonable precautions like keeping hands and face clean makes sense. But not encumbering one's way of life to the point one is reacting to C-19 all the time.

Of course, if one has existing health issues then be super careful.