Jump to content

Certificate of marital status


alyx

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone

 

We are planning to get married abroad and we are both non Thai

We are being asked by the "local" authorities to get a certificate of marital status/celibate/non impediment issued in Thailand where we reside.

I am aware it can be done with my country of origin ( that is not the question ) but can that be done here? 
I am not married in Thailand and I feel that the Khet would not issue any kind of document attesting of my marital status if I am not married and above as I am not Thai

 

Anyone ?

 

Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites

your home embassy here in Thailand can issue a freedom to marry certificate that you are free to marry, this is accepted in Thailand, would that be good enough for where ever you are thinking of getting married. maybe you have to get the certificate from your enbassy in that country.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 3/5/2020 at 8:12 AM, steve187 said:

your home embassy here in Thailand can issue a freedom to marry certificate that you are free to marry, this is accepted in Thailand, would that be good enough for where ever you are thinking of getting married. maybe you have to get the certificate from your enbassy in that country.

They are getting married abroad and they are not Thai. They don't need anything from any Thai authority and they don't need to register anywhere. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for both replies

I understand that this is kind of confusing but, as we reside in Thailand, the "authorities of the European" * country where we plan to get married are asking for this certificate issued in Thailand. 

I have already asked them * about this certificate being issued by our local consulate and I am waiting for a reply.

 

Max69xl: yes, but we are asked to produce this certificate ....from Thailand

 

I will keep you informed as soon a sI get a reply 

 

Thanks for your time 

Link to post
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

They are getting married abroad and they are not Thai. They don't need anything from any Thai authority and they don't need to register anywhere. 

did you not read the op, 

''we are both non Thai We are being asked by the "local" authorities to get a certificate of marital status/celibate/non impediment issued in Thailand''

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, alyx said:

Thanks for both replies

I understand that this is kind of confusing but, as we reside in Thailand, the "authorities of the European" * country where we plan to get married are asking for this certificate issued in Thailand. 

I have already asked them * about this certificate being issued by our local consulate and I am waiting for a reply.

 

Max69xl: yes, but we are asked to produce this certificate ....from Thailand

 

I will keep you informed as soon a sI get a reply 

 

Thanks for your time 

If you're not Thai and get married in your home country, why would any thai authority ask for any type of certificate? There are thousands of married foreign couples living in Thailand and they don't have to inform anyone in Thailand. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not the Thai authorities 

 

the foreign authorities 

 

but, then again, maybe they are just asking this certificate to be issued by our respective embassies in Thailand where we reside 

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, alyx said:

issued by our respective embassies in Thailand

I think this is what they want, an affirmation of freedom to marry sworn at your respective embassies in Thailand.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey 

thanks 

no, I meant Thai authorities as this is what I understood but I guess that I did not understand that correctly 

thanks for the highlight 

Link to post
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, alyx said:

Not the Thai authorities 

 

the foreign authorities 

 

but, then again, maybe they are just asking this certificate to be issued by our respective embassies in Thailand where we reside 

You said "getting married abroad" meaning in your home country? The papers you need you can get back home. If you're getting married at your embassy in BKK, then it's another story. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well...as I have mentioned, we both reside in Thailand

so, abroad is outside of Thailand

I also wrote that we were to get married in Europe 

sorry about the confusion 

Link to post
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, alyx said:

Hey 

thanks 

no, I meant Thai authorities as this is what I understood but I guess that I did not understand that correctly 

thanks for the highlight 

No Thai authority have anything to do with you getting married back home in Europe. It must be a case of "lost in translation". If you're marrying a Thai lady then it's another story. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You will require a letter from your own embassy (s)  in Thailand that shows that both of you have never married, or are widowed or divorced. This is the certificate of non impediment (Freedom to Marry) which needs to be translated into Thai. This is required in Thailand or you cannot marry. I got married last year and it was required.

 

You will need to take any divorce/widowed documents with you if this applies and submit the originals when you apply at your respective embassies in Thailand for the certificate of non impediment. You will probably have to make an appointment for that so please check as available appt times can be a few months in the future.

 

You do not need to submit any marriage related documents to your embassy if you have never married as they will check your marriage status back in your home country. This takes about 5 days for them to process.

 

You will then go back to the embassy where they will have your certificate ready. You will sign this in front of an embassy official and they will counter sign it and then give it the official embassy stamp. This all is done while you are there and you take it away with you.

 

This is so the Thai authorities are sure you are not entering a marriage bigamously.

 

After this and you marry will need to have the Registry entries certified as genuine by the Thai authorities. Then you will need to have both the marriage certificate and the registry entries officially confirmed as being genuine by your own embassy. To do this you will need to have them translated into your native language (sometime English is OK but check with the embassy) by a translation agency that your embassy has approved. Contact them for details on who those approved agencies are as they will be different for different countries. You cannot use any translator you feel like.

 

This can take up to 6 weeks after you submit the translations so be prepared to cope with the wait. The time is not taken by the Thai authorities but by the embassy as there are many so many forged marriage documents around. Your embassy will make its own checks directly with the Thai government to make sure yours are genuine and give them an official stamp and seal.

 

If you avoid this step, back in you own country they will not be recognized and you will have to return to Thailand to undertake this process anyway. Your marriage documents will not be officially recognized in your home country until your embassy in Thailand certifies them as genuine so you will not be able to use them in any official way in your home country without this.

 

I used an agent in Bangkok who is very reputable and not expensive who dealt with everything for me. PM if you want their contact info. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Muzzique said:

You will require a letter from your own embassy (s)  in Thailand that shows that both of you have never married, or are widowed or divorced. This is the certificate of non impediment (Freedom to Marry) which needs to be translated into Thai. This is required in Thailand or you cannot marry. I got married last year and it was required.

 

You will need to take any divorce/widowed documents with you if this applies and submit the originals when you apply at your respective embassies in Thailand for the certificate of non impediment. You will probably have to make an appointment for that so please check as available appt times can be a few months in the future.

 

You do not need to submit any marriage related documents to your embassy if you have never married as they will check your marriage status back in your home country. This takes about 5 days for them to process.

 

You will then go back to the embassy where they will have your certificate ready. You will sign this in front of an embassy official and they will counter sign it and then give it the official embassy stamp. This all is done while you are there and you take it away with you.

 

This is so the Thai authorities are sure you are not entering a marriage bigamously.

 

After this and you marry will need to have the Registry entries certified as genuine by the Thai authorities. Then you will need to have both the marriage certificate and the registry entries officially confirmed as being genuine by your own embassy. To do this you will need to have them translated into your native language (sometime English is OK but check with the embassy) by a translation agency that your embassy has approved. Contact them for details on who those approved agencies are as they will be different for different countries. You cannot use any translator you feel like.

 

This can take up to 6 weeks after you submit the translations so be prepared to cope with the wait. The time is not taken by the Thai authorities but by the embassy as there are many so many forged marriage documents around. Your embassy will make its own checks directly with the Thai government to make sure yours are genuine and give them an official stamp and seal.

 

If you avoid this step, back in you own country they will not be recognized and you will have to return to Thailand to undertake this process anyway. Your marriage documents will not be officially recognized in your home country until your embassy in Thailand certifies them as genuine so you will not be able to use them in any official way in your home country without this.

 

I used an agent in Bangkok who is very reputable and not expensive who dealt with everything for me. PM if you want their contact info. 

I just realized you will be marrying outside of Thailand. So just replace Thailand with the country you plan to marry in as the process is the same using your respective embassies in that country. My apologies.

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Max69xl said:

They are getting married abroad and they are not Thai. They don't need anything from any Thai authority and they don't need to register anywhere. 

Exactly

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Muzzique said:

You will require a letter from your own embassy (s)  in Thailand that shows that both of you have never married, or are widowed or divorced. This is the certificate of non impediment (Freedom to Marry) which needs to be translated into Thai. This is required in Thailand or you cannot marry. I got married last year and it was required.

 

You will need to take any divorce/widowed documents with you if this applies and submit the originals when you apply at your respective embassies in Thailand for the certificate of non impediment. You will probably have to make an appointment for that so please check as available appt times can be a few months in the future.

 

You do not need to submit any marriage related documents to your embassy if you have never married as they will check your marriage status back in your home country. This takes about 5 days for them to process.

 

You will then go back to the embassy where they will have your certificate ready. You will sign this in front of an embassy official and they will counter sign it and then give it the official embassy stamp. This all is done while you are there and you take it away with you.

 

This is so the Thai authorities are sure you are not entering a marriage bigamously.

 

After this and you marry will need to have the Registry entries certified as genuine by the Thai authorities. Then you will need to have both the marriage certificate and the registry entries officially confirmed as being genuine by your own embassy. To do this you will need to have them translated into your native language (sometime English is OK but check with the embassy) by a translation agency that your embassy has approved. Contact them for details on who those approved agencies are as they will be different for different countries. You cannot use any translator you feel like.

 

This can take up to 6 weeks after you submit the translations so be prepared to cope with the wait. The time is not taken by the Thai authorities but by the embassy as there are many so many forged marriage documents around. Your embassy will make its own checks directly with the Thai government to make sure yours are genuine and give them an official stamp and seal.

 

If you avoid this step, back in you own country they will not be recognized and you will have to return to Thailand to undertake this process anyway. Your marriage documents will not be officially recognized in your home country until your embassy in Thailand certifies them as genuine so you will not be able to use them in any official way in your home country without this.

 

I used an agent in Bangkok who is very reputable and not expensive who dealt with everything for me. PM if you want their contact info. 

'You do not need to submit any marriage related documents to your embassy if you have never married as they will check your marriage status back in your home country. This takes about 5 days for them to process.'

I remember going to the British Embassy about 8yrs ago to get the Freedom to Marry Certificate, went to the counter told them what I wanted, paid the money, I then asked the lady how many days to get the ok from the UK, she said we don't check, 5 minutes and had the paper.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, pdtokyo said:

Gee Alyx it would be WAY easier to help you if you simply spelled out all the countries ...

For example ... me (Polish) and my fiancee (Zimbabwean) plan to get married in (Finland) etc etc etc

Why so reluctant to frame your question more clearly? We are now into page 2 and i suspect most of the people trying to help you are still unclear on very basic facts.

 

Well I am not reluctant 

Just didn’t think that I had not clearly explained myself:)

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, pdtokyo said:

Your problem seems to be related to countries. You haven't mentioned a single actual country yet!!!

 

"Non-Thai" and "Europe" are not countries!!

 

Why not edit your question as i suggest ... spell out each individual country involved ... re-post it and then see if helpful characters like roo860 and steve187 can confirm they are giving you correct answers?

 

Actually, i think steve187 nailed it in post #2 ... but that's only a guess.

 

(and by the way ... "... didn’t think that I had not ... " is a 'double-negative' = confusing language and totally in character with OP)

 

Page 3 is coming up ... over and out from me ...

 

Take care

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...