Patong Songkran official events cancelled

webfact

Patong Songkran official events cancelled

By The Phuket News

1583468254_1-org.jpg

The major official Songkran events in Patong such as the ‘Songkran on the Beach’ play zone and the DJ dance party have been cancelled. Photo: Patong Municipality / file

PHUKET: All official celebrations in Patong for the Songkran Thai New Year have been cancelled to prevent and reduce the risk of COVID-19 spreading, Patong Mayor Chalermluck Kebsup has confirmed.

Traditionally, each year Patong becomes the epicentre for Songkran festivities in Phuket, with the beach resort town hosting a variety of celebration events and live entertainment performances on the beach for Thai residents and foreign tourists alike to enjoy.

This year, festivities were planned to be held each day, and night, from Saturday, April 11 through Wednesday, April 15.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/patong-songkran-official-events-cancelled-75147.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-03-06
  • Like 2

just as i predicted.

everybody wake up.

soon you will be checked for your temperature as you walk down a Soi.

those of you in rural Thailand will not see this so much.  Large cities and towns yes.

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

just as i predicted.

everybody wake up.

soon you will be checked for your temperature as you walk down a Soi.

those of you in rural Thailand will not see this so much.  Large cities and towns yes.

I'm in Roi Et and, had the temperature test done two times now by security gov officials..

Entering Big C and Mackro

1 minute ago, DrTuner said:

Will Pattaya be the last one standing before they too fold?

Sounded to me like the press conference they just held, dashed all songkrahn hopes, but then maybe i misheard.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

All official celebrations in Patong for the Songkran Thai New Year have been cancelled to prevent and reduce the risk of COVID-19 spreading, Patong Mayor Chalermluck Kebsup has confirmed

Officials are starting to realise that this is getting serious, and just hopes that it might go away are futile.

Common sense prevails at last....

They are still effectively endorsing the normal water throwing. I think someone will see sense and ban this nationwide for this year. If they don't and someone starts to slap powder on my face I hope they don't mind me responding with a rather heavier fist into theirs! Not that that's likely to happen as I'll be voluntarily self-quaranting for the festival period if the festivities are not cancelled.

don't care if songkran happens or not, quite honestly the authorities don't have a handle on this situation at all. i have my own plan.

every individual is responsible for their own actions. information with regard to corona virus and relevant precautions that should be taken to prevent infection is available on many reputable web sites. if you choose mix in a large crowd then you can't say you weren't warned. good luck.

Edited by samsensam
  • Like 1