2020 Royal enfield Himalayan

I rode a 350 Bullet in India for seven months, but to be honest, I'm not a fan of this company.

The material seems to be of low quality, certain parts start to rust pretty fast, people lose parts and the former model's high speed of 80 km ( because it became too shaky) doesn't show that they build great bikes. 

Yes, they are cheap, but wait a few years and you'll see what I meant. 

I think the quality control has vastly improved since you rode your 350 in India. But what you said was true of the older style in India with lots of problems . Not perfect now but leaps ahead of where they were not to long ago. I would love to own an Interceptor.

• Like 1

If you follow the whole release of the Himalaya, from the first models until now, you'll find that the 1st model had a lot of problems. The later models had these problems addressed. Seems they are improving fast. For a good review of this model, you can follow a utub channel called "itchy boots", where a woman travels (solo) with her Himalaya motorcycle over half the world.

Also, I think it is fair to expect not to get the high quality of the more expensive bikes from Japan, US or Germany, although the quality of today from RE seems to be higher than Chinese bikes...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tracker said:

If you follow the whole release of the Himalaya, from the first models until now, you'll find that the 1st model had a lot of problems. The later models had these problems addressed. Seems they are improving fast. For a good review of this model, you can follow a utub channel called "itchy boots", where a woman travels (solo) with her Himalaya motorcycle over half the world.

Also, I think it is fair to expect not to get the high quality of the more expensive bikes from Japan, US or Germany, although the quality of today from RE seems to be higher than Chinese bikes...

Why did she switch to a Honda 500?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, papa al said:

No Idea. Didn't follow for a while now. What counts, for me, is that she drove thousands of miles on the Himalaya through half the world and had fairly good reviews of the bike.

1 hour ago, papa al said:

did a quick search through her vids. The Himalaya is in Peru and she can't go there due to the restrictions in travel caused by covid. She bought the honda (2nd hand, 5 yrs) because europe borders are open and wanted to make a europe tour.

2 hours ago, tracker said:

did a quick search through her vids. The Himalaya is in Peru and she can't go there due to the restrictions in travel caused by covid. She bought the honda (2nd hand, 5 yrs) because europe borders are open and wanted to make a europe tour.

Why did she buy Honda vs RE tho?

4 hours ago, papa al said:

... have seen every one of her vlogs.

[suscribed]

Well, papa was subscribed,

but as of last week,

have been kicked off YT.

Why?  Dunno. Nothing specific.

"Violated community guide-lines."

5 5

2 hours ago, papa al said:

Well, papa was subscribed,

but as of last week,

have been kicked off YT.

Why?  Dunno. Nothing specific.

"Violated community guide-lines."

5 5

Papa the old troll. First Kaidee, now Youtube... but don't worry, always welcome @ TVF

Plan to buy a RE Himalayan in the next few weeks. Despite Buriram being the home of Bric there is no RE dealership here (???). Nearest dealerships are KK, Ubon Rat, Udon T but I think I will head to Bangkok given the number of dealerships there. Can anyone recommend which are the larger / best dealerships in Bangkok ?   

27 minutes ago, pagan1 said:

Plan to buy a RE Himalayan in the next few weeks. Despite Buriram being the home of Bric there is no RE dealership here (???). Nearest dealerships are KK, Ubon Rat, Udon T but I think I will head to Bangkok given the number of dealerships there. Can anyone recommend which are the larger / best dealerships in Bangkok ?   

Just go Korat.

@pagan1 hold off for a bit, I think they realized they forgot to attach the other 400cc cylinder to the bike...! ? Hence it's way underpowered now, so they are going to stick the 2nd one and make a 800 parallel twin of two 400 - easy peazy Indian style...! Now that would be a good bike with a descend HP... ????

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I hope they will offer one with the 650cc engine one day.

Copy and paste from the article provided earlier:

Ever since Royal Enfield debuted its 650 Twin engine platform, enthusiasts have been anticipating a new Himalayan variant based on it. As of now, RE seems to be focused on a cruiser spin-off but we do hope the engine will also serve an adventure tourer eventually.

Copyright (C) 'RUSH LANE' Read more at... https://www.rushlane.com/2021-royal-enfield-himalayan-12386905.html .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was hoping to get some actuall usefull info on the Himalaya here but it seems the thread morphed into mostly a discussion of the interceptor. I have been in the market for a Himalaya for the past few months, watched tons of reviews in youtub and have noted the general drawbacks, underpowered , low highway speed,  bit heavy, clunky gear box. OK I can live with all that cause I want for versitile on off road riding. Also honestly love the look and style of it. I went to test drive one though was completely turned off, granted not a very extensive test ride as the owner wouldnt let me out of the parking lot with it but it vibrated all over the front end, the engine sounded like it was laboring even at low speeds, and it stalled while at idle three times, for the owner not me. This is a 2020 with only 3k on it. It also just felt cheaply made. The rear light for instance seemed like I could just rip it off in my hand with little effort. Any owners out there that can comment on my observations would be great - cause I still kind of want one!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, dictater said:

I was hoping to get some actuall usefull info on the Himalaya here but it seems the thread morphed into mostly a discussion of the interceptor. I have been in the market for a Himalaya for the past few months, watched tons of reviews in youtub and have noted the general drawbacks, underpowered , low highway speed,  bit heavy, clunky gear box. OK I can live with all that cause I want for versitile on off road riding. Also honestly love the look and style of it. I went to test drive one though was completely turned off, granted not a very extensive test ride as the owner wouldnt let me out of the parking lot with it but it vibrated all over the front end, the engine sounded like it was laboring even at low speeds, and it stalled while at idle three times, for the owner not me. This is a 2020 with only 3k on it. It also just felt cheaply made. The rear light for instance seemed like I could just rip it off in my hand with little effort. Any owners out there that can comment on my observations would be great - cause I still kind of want one!

In Pattaya they have test bikes at the RE dealer, I saw the Himalayan there as well.

You can take the test bikes out for a 30 min ride after signing a waiver that you will pay 15k in case of crash and damage exceed that amount, insurance will take care of the rest. You obviously need to have a bike license and wear proper gear.

I am not interested in the Himalayan myself but tried the Interceptor, lovely bike.

Edited by guzzi850m2

I started this thread when I purchase my own 2020 Himalayan, (put 10,000 kilometers on it), and would have to agree to a lot of the comments you quoted general drawbacks, underpowered , low highway speed,  bit heavy, clunky gear box. Plus I had a stalling problem every time I stared it until I installed an iridium plug. My main problem was i was not interested in off road and a general feeling the bike was not going to last.    I sold mine and bought a new Interceptor-- ride 7 days a week and it is the best bike I have ever owned.

P.S. what post on thaivisa has ever not been hijacked

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I got my Ennie 2 month ago in Chiang Mai and love her! 
Unfortunately, the dealer here is .... not the best ever ;-)
Does anybody know if I have to do the service with a RE dealer for warranty reasons or if I can choose any other garage?
Obviously, it doesn't make a lot of sense to ask the dealer as he doesn't want to lose the money ... ????

263291346_2253892558085913_367035314180411730_n.jpg

On 12/3/2021 at 1:40 PM, Stef Starfish said:

Unfortunately, the dealer here is .... not the best ever ????
Does anybody know if I have to do the service with a RE dealer for warranty reasons or if I can choose any other garage?
Obviously, it doesn't make a lot of sense to ask the dealer as he doesn't want to lose the money ... ????

Why don't the dealer wants to help you?

The dealer is not loosing money covering warranty work, it's covered from the factory.

14 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Unfortunately, the dealer here is .... not the best ever ????

Expand  

The dealer is not loosing money covering warranty work, it's covered from the factory.

Starfish isn't asking about doing work covered by warranty, he's asking if taking it to another garage would invalidate the warranty.

Might say something in the manual but I don't have mine with me at the moment.

• Like 1

I would check and make sure.

In the west people have been doing their own services, keeping receipts and dates and mileage for warranty.

Court cases have been won by people not using the Dealers garages.

Here in LOS ? Don't think I would risk it. If you are wary, find a top notch garage, make an appointment at the dealer for warranty work, and then direct to the private shop to check it over - makes sure the work is done properly.

You gotta pay labour X2 - but you are buying peace of mind.

When warranty over use the private shop - they will know the bike !

18 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Because it's a useless dealer I would imagine, glad I can do stuff myself, never had a problem selling and that's usually after the warranty has run out anyway.