Be careful what you wish for! Suvarnabhumi airport left deserted due to COVID-19

rooster59

17 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Malai Samakarn Pettersson's picture of the deserted airport was being shared across Thai social media.

As was her comment that she had never seen the place so quiet and the fact that it took only ten minutes to check in, go through baggage formalities and immigration and get to the gate.

No complaints then?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, keith101 said:

Looks like an airport waiting for planes to land before the rush .

And that is check-in not Immigration .

Yeah, check in where the Chinese airlines operate. Last night China Southern and GX Airlines where working on rows U and W which are back to back. Obviously fewer flights operating and fewer customers so that area WOULD be quiet. Poor attempt at sensationalism.

2 hours ago, Lee4Life said:

I think the facts disagree with you, how do you think so many people in the world contracted the virus so quickly?

Well 98% of them live on top of each other in a place called Wuhan in the middle of winter when seasonal flue is already prevalent.........

You might have heard of it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

18 minutes ago, Traubert said:

They have hand cleanser right next to them,

It took me over an hour from check in to gate last night. Certainly not deserted. Mr Rooster, pay a visit instead of reading Facebook trivia off the Daily News if you want to be credible.

Next time fly business class.  10 minutes total. Check in, special immigration check out.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

My Japanese friend just sent me an article (it's in Japanese, so use google translate although it's not a perfect translation) which was dated March 4th, 2020.  

The main point was that AOT has sent 3 individuals of having a Wuhan virus symptoms to the hospital directly from the airport.

1.) Indian man arriving at Don Mueang Airport from Narita.  He had 37.7 degrees. 

2.) German man arriving at Phuket Airport from Singapore.  He had 38.6 degrees with cough and a runny nose.

3.) Japanese woman who was scheduled to depart from Suavarnabhumi Airport back to Japan.  She had 37.1 degrees with cough and a runny nose.  

My guess is that they are under the famous PUI.  

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20200304-00000006-nna_kyodo-asia

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, keith101 said:

Looks exactly like a check-in area, with next to no staff around, because no flights on these airlines are leaving within the next couple of hours. These media photos are highly selective, to say the least. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, MikeyScars said:

My Japanese friend just sent me an article (it's in Japanese, so use google translate although it's not a perfect translation) which was dated March 4th, 2020.  

The main point was that AOT has sent 3 individuals of having a Wuhan virus symptoms to the hospital directly from the airport.

1.) Indian man arriving at Don Mueang Airport from Narita.  He had 37.7 degrees. 

2.) German man arriving at Phuket Airport from Singapore.  He had 38.6 degrees with cough and a runny nose.

3.) Japanese woman who was scheduled to depart from Suavarnabhumi Airport back to Japan.  She had 37.1 degrees with cough and a runny nose.  

My guess is that they are under the famous PUI.  

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20200304-00000006-nna_kyodo-asia

Nice to see that they are at least pulling some people out of circulation. I hope the Japanese woman got yanked more because of her other symptoms, rather than because of her so-called "fever. " 36.8 - 37.2 degrees is "normal" non-fever temperature for me. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, keith101 said:

A busy Suvarnabhumi today 7th March by Richard Barrow...

Seems like I cannot insert a Facebook video, but here is the link...

The automatic embedded insert don't seem to work...
Edited by khunPer
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, AlienHermit66 said:

Those media photos are utterly misleading. Some people have posted videos of the arrivals area of BKK and the area is swarming like a zoo. Here is a shot of Friday at 19:05. 

Screen Shot 2020-03-07 at 19.05.36.png

That photo is after passport control also known as immigration. Not unusual for a few/ many people to be there at all. Many visitors meet friends and family in that area. Many reps from hotels looking for guests who have transport bookings too. Note the sign 'meeting area' that does give a clue. Bit of a misleading photo in my opinion. Passport control has been a breeze generally speaking well before the virus came on the scene.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AlienHermit66 said:

Those media photos are utterly misleading. Some people have posted videos of the arrivals area of BKK and the area is swarming like a zoo. Here is a shot of Friday at 19:05. 

Screen Shot 2020-03-07 at 19.05.36.png

Who knows this might change once the numbers goes up in Thailand.....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Disease central with those finger print scanners!

Fingerprint scanners and face scanners at the airport. Face Scanners at school to sign in and out. When will that scanning have an end? 

George Orwell was wrong. lol

• Like 1

I departed on the 5th and I have pictures of an empty airport, do not know how to add.  Plenty of places to sit and lay down. Not 10 minuets to go through immigration fast track. Flight from Udorn about 50%, BKK to NRT 70%, NRT to ORD about 65%... Almost no one wearing masks in the US...

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Isaanbiker said:

George Orwell was wrong. lol

Not really! he just wasn't very good with dates :shock1:

If part of the outcome from this is we end up with a "world Police" force for travellers and compulsory vaccinations! - be scared ????

• Like 1