Buoy line installed to protect corals off Kata Beach

rooster59

Buoy line installed to protect corals off Kata Beach

By Khunanya Wanchanwet

1583560209_1-org.jpg

More than 100 people, including volunteers from local dive companies and officials, joined together to install the buoys yesterday (Mar 6). Photo: DMCR

PHUKET: A 400-metre long line of buoys has been installed to protect corals at the north end Kata Beach.

Phuket Vice Governor Supoj Rotreuang Na Nongkhai was at the scene yesterday (Mar 6) to officiate the project, which saw volunteers from local dive companies help deploy the line of buoys alongside officers from Department of Marine and Coastal Resources (DMCR) Region 6.

The project, which also involved support from Kata-Karon Municipality, saw the line of buoys section off some 50 rai of corals off Laem Sai, at the north end of the beach.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/buoy-line-installed-to-protect-corals-off-kata-beach-75170.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-03-07

Not just to protect the corals, also to protect anybody enjoying the reef there.

A pity this took a long, king time, now we have to hope this line will survive the western winds, set to come in a month or 2.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Who are they protecting them from? The two remaining tourists?

You'd be surprised how busy Kata and Karon Beaches are.

Looking at Old Croc's picture I assume the longtails will simply commandeer another part of the beach.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AdamTheFarang said:

Having lived there for 5 years, I can reliably tell you there is virtually nothing left. Sad. BTW advanced diver and marine expert. No SAS bar talk fact.

Having been diving at this divesite for 20+ years now, I can reliably tell you it was and is a really cute little site, with lots of juvenile life, many fish and some really nice corals. Macro heaven.

Your post is uninformed and sad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Having been diving at this divesite for 20+ years now, I can reliably tell you it was and is a really cute little site, with lots of juvenile life, many fish and some really nice corals. Macro heaven.

Agree, I haven't dived there many times but great for the small stuff if you take your time and look closely.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

I used to live on The Great Barrier Reef, I know good diving. Don't tell us you are a working diver, who can show us for a small fee how good Kata corals are. Where else have you been diving, your bath at home?

1 hour ago, Soupdragon said:

Agree, I haven't dived there many times but great for the small stuff if you take your time and look closely.

I used to go every week, sometimes more. Less and less every year to see. Have you ever seen the view after heavy rain. I live on the hill and you can see the whole area, the amount of silt covering that area, no wonder. 

8 hours ago, AdamTheFarang said:

I used to live on The Great Barrier Reef, I know good diving. Don't tell us you are a working diver, who can show us for a small fee how good Kata corals are. Where else have you been diving, your bath at home?

Sorry, I don't respond to sneers.