New Bar / Eatery In Buriram...

Thai Chi

When you get to the Caltex look for the building with the big satellite dish on the roof. Thats his place.

I went there the morning of the opening, was quiet but couldnt make it back for the evening bash. Hope it does well. Had a chat with Ron, says he was a baker by trade back in Aus. Says he will be doing bread, pies pizza etc when he is a bit more established. If he can do good bread then I think he will have a winning sideline. I normally stock up on my run to Bangkok and then freeze it. Will be nice to get fresh stuff.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All

Well thanks to all the directions supplied by members I finally located "The Tavern"

Oh Dear ..........What a disappointment, I approached the rather shabby looking sliding doors adorned with a sign saying opening hours 8.30a.m 1.00a.m only to find them locked! A Thai eventually came to the door and informed me "all sleeping" and that they were closed despite the fact that it was 11.30a.m. :D

Well revert to Plan B ... off to Book & Bed, greeted by a smiling Thai who opened the door for me and welcomed me into a well appointed air conditioned restaurant, service was excellent, food well presented, tasty and reasonably priced. When I finally left the place was heaving with farangs & thai's.

Now I do not deliberately set out to criticize someones best efforts but unless they are aware of there shortcomings then they can't do anything about it and I wish them every success, but currently they fall well short of the competition. :D

Next time I venture into Buriram I know where I will be eating, what would you do?

TBWG :D

Agree 100% with the highlighted comment TBWG.

I beleive he was in Surin stocking up on supplies this morning. But NO exscuse for poor / no service from a place that was supposed to be opened.

Trust me, he will be made aware of the situation. Ron, the owner of the Tavern is a down to earth, no bullsh#t sort of a bloke. He will sort this one out quick smart :D

Dont write the place off at this stage. Early days for sure, and when he gets the Pizza and Bread up and running........... :o

Maybe when you get back, we can (finally) meet up there for a cold one and a meal :bah:

Actually my friend at the famous Surin Taverna ( the F.C. of course) bakes all his own bread now. His whole-wheat and whole grain loafs are good, as is the white bread. I do prefer his continental loafs though. He imports his brown flower as well.

With respect to Ron its always very difficult in another country to get businesses like this up and running:

Bearing in mind to other establishments are THai owned:

The day I wentwith Andylee and Diablo-bob there was Thaichi and another guy (Apologies) forgot his name.

Ron was not there, so if the guys had not been there I think we would have left.

The bar at this stage lacks Character and food wise this needs work as well I am afraid, but I wil call in when I get a chance.

Good luck it will be diffifcult I think

What price is the chang now at this joint 45 50 55 bht ive lost track everytime its one of these prices anyway.But supposed to be cheaper or on power with the bamboo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

50 Baht to answer your question kerrs.

It was 45 Baht prior to opening day. That was due to the fact that there was work in process, no food, no pool table, no tv, no music and heaps of noise from the shopfitters.

The owner made a point of telling all and sundry that the price would rise to 50 Baht on opening day. Which it did.

Between opening day (9th april) and Songkran (13th april) the beer resellars put up the price of Chang 2 times :o He wore the first price rise no problems, then lifted it up to 55 Baht after the second.

And now the suppliers price has gone back down, so has his price.

I hope that explains the fluctuations in price kerrs.

Good luck to Ron but i wont be rushing back as has been said the place lacks character.

And the 5bht increase in the space of 2 days isnt good enough.Even if it has come down again.

This is buriram not bangkok!!!!

20bht for a game of pool come on.

Kerrs

Good luck to Ron but i wont be rushing back as has been said the place lacks character.

And the 5bht increase in the space of 2 days isnt good enough.Even if it has come down again.

This is buriram not bangkok!!!!

Kerrs

Did the Bamboo increase prices over the Songkran period? Probebley if was due to suppliers hiking prices,However i have not visited Rons place yet,but will on my return and give my verdict,always liked Bamboo in past but there is nothing wrong with competition.

And the 5bht increase in the space of 2 days isnt good enough.

Kerrs

Jeez lad, you poor thing. *Chang* going through the roof at 70 pence a pint. And paying the millionaire's sum of 30 pence for a game of pool. Wow.

Well I think 'Ron' will accept constructive criticism through Thaichi:

So lets not bitch about things it is a new bar, lets put ideas up or complaints in a friendly and helpful manner that may assist Ron and his wife:

I am sure all helpful hints can be collated by the Vendor.

Well I think 'Ron' will accept constructive criticism through Thaichi:

So lets not bitch about things it is a new bar, lets put ideas up or complaints in a friendly and helpful manner that may assist Ron and his wife:

I am sure all helpful hints can be collated by the Vendor.

At last, the voice of reason, good on you Mac :D

Yes, I am passing on both good and bad feedback to Ron. He has taken everything on board, and I am sure he will rectify / fix / change some things to suit.

As far as "lacks character" goes. I quite enjoy sitting in airconditioned comfort drinking very cold beer whilst watching football. Or having a chat with some of the intresting characters that do go there. Or when I can afford it, a game or two of pool :o

Wish i was as poor as you martin!

And the 5bht increase in the space of 2 days isnt good enough.

Kerrs

Jeez lad, you poor thing. *Chang* going through the roof at 70 pence a pint. And paying the millionaire's sum of 30 pence for a game of pool. Wow.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally made it to The Tavern yesterday. Quite day. Of course I know Ron from our joint. Had some good Thai scram. Can't really see him doing that well, with his prices. Very CHEAP to eat and drink. I know it's difficult parting ex-pats from their money, but when someone said it was expensive............................well, I suppose I had better be glad with the bunch I've got here.

Anyway, all the best from us in Surin.

Hi When i was over for a wedding party we went to the Bamboo as i had heard that it had been done up Well the only think i noticed at the time was that the beer fridge had been placed behind the bar the furniture appears to be the same i think that if they were to reinstall the pool table it would help.The little thai girl is the only person who really welcomes you when you enter the Bamboo.

Then we all went to the Tavern and Ron made us all welcome as any new landlord would do in the UK had a bite to eat which was good then the big plus was the pool table ok so you had to pay but it gives you something to do those who did not wish to play pool could site and chat in comfortable surroundings.Ron and his lady gave us the cold towels and wanted to talk.Pity there were not a few more regular users in on that night.But i think he will give it his best shot and hopefully he will succeed.He will have to put in a lot of hours to start with as people who want to visit will need it to be open as its all about first impressions.At the end of the day it is how long he is going to give it to take off.

Good LUCK

Almost time to go :-) another year +

in 1989 we have a restaurant in Surin also for only a few years , we wanted to give are son a better education in Belgium.

And we also opened a restaurant in Belgium.

Now we been working hard enough and my son will have his own studio soon .

So time for us to going back to Surin ( been in our hart sinds we left)

First we planed to open a restaurant business again .... but we thinking to do nothing anymore :-)

Anny way when we building the new house again ( we will build also a few bungalows , a big handmade wood fired pizza oven and we also bring all are almost 20 years cooking experience with us ...... ;-) we have to much friends from our stay in Europe.

never know one day when we get bored ....

maybe see all off you one day ;-)

(been to Farang connection before ) good fun !

in 1989 we have a restaurant in Surin also for only a few years , we wanted to give are son a better education in Belgium.

First we planed to open a restaurant business again .... but we thinking to do nothing anymore :-)

Anny way when we building the new house again ( we will build also a few bungalows , a big handmade wood fired pizza oven and we also bring all are almost 20 years cooking experience with us ...... ;-) we have to much friends from our stay in Europe.

Hi Thongdee

I am sure you will do good business with that wood fired Pizza oven, can I put in an order now!!!

TBWG :o

Great news...................................got no-one to send my customers that want pizzas, now Brads is closed. We were going to do it ,as we have a pizza oven, but decided to concentrate on bread instead. Welcome back to Surin.

Wish the big wig in the issan area (the big timer!!)would donate some money to him to repaint them wall's and i'd maybe squeeze the money out for a game of pool and a bottle of chang then still go else where.

Kerrs

Wish the big wig in the issan area (the big timer!!)would donate some money to him to repaint them wall's and i'd maybe squeeze the money out for a game of pool and a bottle of chang then still go else where.

Kerrs

I'll hazzard a guess here kerrs, as I never got to study cryptography whilst I was in the Army. You are talking about Aussie Rons Tavern Bar ??

Well I guess that Ron coming from Australia, where the National sporting colors are GREEN and GOLD may have something to do with him painting the walls...................GREEN and GOLD:o

Edited by Thai Chi

• 1 month later...
Best of luck to him, but watch this space :o ,

Bar In Buriram..., ...For Sale

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=130048

That was fast.

Oh..............................and I thought Thai Chai WASN'T Ron. Never mind. Same as most bars in the area. If they don't make 5,000,000 profit first week of opening they get disgruntled. I did when I first opened my Thai Supermarket in Ramsgate. I expected people to come flocking from all over. They didn't, but I stuck it out for three years.

That was fast.

Oh..............................and I thought Thai Chai WASN'T Ron. Never mind. Same as most bars in the area. If they don't make 5,000,000 profit first week of opening they get disgruntled. I did when I first opened my Thai Supermarket in Ramsgate. I expected people to come flocking from all over. They didn't, but I stuck it out for three years.

My wife tells me to many Farang in Buriram but they must all be tea total,had 2 try to give the Bamboo a run but both appear to have had enough.It is a pity as competition is good.But only the strong survive.On my last visit the numbers in the BAMBOO appeared to be down.

That was fast.

My wife tells me to many Farang in Buriram but they must all be tea total,had 2 try to give the Bamboo a run but both appear to have had enough.It is a pity as competition is good.But only the strong survive.On my last visit the numbers in the BAMBOO appeared to be down.

If any one had run any of the places properly, had good staff, good selection of food and beers, then you can't help being a sucess. I have had the F.C. for 4 1/2 years now, and my guest book is fast approaching the 5,000 mark. That is without Thai customers, and probaly missing around 1,500 farangs that haven't signed. At least half of them, I count as regular customers, ie visit me for one month or more in the space of a year. Out of those regulars, I'd say 20% come from Burirum. Of course around 5% of those think I'm a <deleted>, but that is just enough to make it interesting. Let's face it, the Restaurant was running for a full 5 years before I took it over, so it was already established. And, to be quite honest, I put down a lot of my sucess to my great web-master. But I have a wonderful selection of staff. In fact the best. They are the main reason behind the F.C's sucess story.

If any one had run any of the places properly, had good staff, good selection of food and beers, then you can't help being a sucess. I have had the F.C. for 4 1/2 years now, and my guest book is fast approaching the 5,000 mark. That is without Thai customers, and probaly missing around 1,500 farangs that haven't signed. At least half of them, I count as regular customers, ie visit me for one month or more in the space of a year. Out of those regulars, I'd say 20% come from Burirum. Of course around 5% of those think I'm a <deleted>, but that is just enough to make it interesting. Let's face it, the Restaurant was running for a full 5 years before I took it over, so it was already established. And, to be quite honest, I put down a lot of my sucess to my great web-master. But I have a wonderful selection of staff. In fact the best. They are the main reason behind the F.C's sucess story.

Hi Lampard

Only 5%? surely not!!:o

TBWG :D

That was fast.

Haven't had the pleasure of visiting F.C. but the 2 hour trip from Roiet sounds like a small inconvenience for a good T-Bone. Hope to see you soon.

Edited by roietjimmy

Your right Martin, Thai Chai isn't Ron :o

I posted the Ad for him as he dosen't have an internet connection.

I have no idea what his first week / month / quarterly profit was, but that is far removed from his reason for selling up only 4 months after opening.

On a brighter note, he has already had several enquiries about the bar :D