Questions about Thai rental laws.

Hello!

I've recently read a few different articles on Thai rental laws and wanted to ask if someone has any knowledge on the subject.

Link to articles: https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2018/03/13/thai-law-what-landlords-must-quickly-do-or-go-to-jail/
http://www.thailawforum.com/new-thai-lease-law-empowers-renters/
https://gps-legalconsulting.com/publications/thai-landlords-must-comply-with-new-lease-regulations-by-may-1/

The questions I have are re the lease regulations that were implemented on May 1st, 2018. So the new law (if I have not misunderstood it) states that landlords who lease more than 5 properties need to follow the following regulations:

- No more than 1 month rent in advance and no more than 1 month security deposit.
- Possibility for the renter to terminate the lease with a 30 day notice if a valid reason is given, such as returning to home country.

In a few of the articles that I read it mentioned that this law only applies to landlords who lease 5 or more properties, is this correct?
If that is correct, how do I find out how many properties that my landlord is currently leasing to other people?
If the law only applies to landlords who rent out 5 or more properties, is there a similar consumer protection law that regulates ALL leases? If so, where can I find it? 

I hope I'm not posting in the wrong part of the forums, couldn't find a "Thai Law" section. Anyways, all information is greatly appreciated!

14 minutes ago, BigFalang said:

how do I find out how many properties that my landlord is currently leasing to other people?

You can't, if they are individual properties scattered across the city. Unless the landlord voluntarily declares it, that is.

16 minutes ago, BigFalang said:

is there a similar consumer protection law that regulates ALL leases?

No.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, blackcab said:

You can't, if they are individual properties scattered across the city. Unless the landlord voluntarily declares it, that is.

No.

So the law only applies to landlords who rent out more than 5 properties. And there's no way of finding out if your landlord rents out more than 5 properties without them actually telling you? Doesn't that make the law kind of useless? 

I know for a fact that my landlord owns the 2 neighboring units so that makes it 3. 

Maybe it's possible to file a claim with some government authority and if she rents out less than 5 units they will dismiss it and otherwise they will force her to make a new contract? Or something similar?

Edited by BigFalang
Typo

2 minutes ago, BigFalang said:

So the law only applies to landlords who rent out more than 5 properties. And there's no way of finding out if your landlord rents out more than 5 properties without them actually telling you? Doesn't that make the law kind of useless? 

I know for a fact that my landlord owns the 2 neighboring units so that makes it 3. 

Maybe it's possible to file a claim with some government authority and if she rents out less than 5 units they will dismiss it and otherwise they will force her to make a new contract? Or something similar?

what is the REAL problem why you want to go after your landlord ?

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, BigFalang said:

I-R-R-E-L-E-V-A-N-T.

Your question is irrelevant unless you're sitting on some supreme knowledge that you prefer not to share? 

Your op is also I-R-R-E-L-E-V-A-N-T in a third world banana Republic. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BigFalang said:

Doesn't that make the law kind of useless? 

The law is aimed at larger landlords who own apartment buildings with dozens of units in one location. The law is very useful for those in that situation.

12 hours ago, BigFalang said:

This procedure does not exist. The government authority you are speculating about also doesn't exist.

• Like 1