Cafe Yen Or Cafe Rohn

JimmyTheMook

Is Thai coffee derived from hilltribe coffee beans ?

Only has seen it in the powdered form.

Going by the label on the bag my local pusher gave me to get me through until I get back, it is hardly even coffee. If I remember correctly the coffee content is about 20% with no ingredient origins stated.

Thai coffee comes from coffee plantations in northern and southern Thailand. In the north some are grown by hilltribes, some by Thais. In the south it's all Thais.

The best Thai coffee is arabica grown in the north. The cheap ground Thai coffee (tinted red by ground tamarind seed, and typically used for 'traditional Thai coffee', the kind filtered through narrow cloth sacks) is mostly likely robusta from the south.

Thai coffee comes from coffee plantations in northern and southern Thailand. In the north some are grown by hilltribes, some by Thais. In the south it's all Thais.

The best Thai coffee is arabica grown in the north. The cheap ground Thai coffee (tinted red by ground tamarind seed, and typically used for 'traditional Thai coffee', the kind filtered through narrow cloth sacks) is mostly likely robusta from the south.

is that Olieng? I've always wondered what the additives were.

Really nice if it's not too sweet!

is that Olieng? I've always wondered what the additives were.

Yes the same cheap canned coffee is used for oh-liang. I assume the ground tamarind also lends added flavour, sort of like ground chickory in New Orleans and (some) French coffee.

I've noticed that fancier coffeeshops in Chiang Mai and Bangkok sometimes offer oh-liang in addition to the usual espresso drinks, and when they do they make it with good coffee. Oh-liang is just sweetened black coffee, served on ice.