Health Insurance

markt42

Does anyone have any recommendations or experience of buying Holiday health insurance for a visit to the UK?

I am travelling with my Thai wife and son and want to make sure they are covered just in case of any problems.

Any info would be appreciated.

cheers

I used axa travel insurance last year for the sons month long trip to the UK, last March. (The other considered last year was Allianz)

Using Pacific Cross Travel insurance for a transit to the UK this month.

The problem I found in respect to the son, in many Thai policy wording was, that they did not cover residents of the country to be visited. but when you went to the definitions it said Resident = if you hold a passport for that country! Which is not the same thing at all. That would make the policy worthless in the case of a dual national.

The wife picked AIA for past visits, i've not looked at them recently though.

9 minutes ago, UKresonant said:

I used axa travel insurance last year for the sons month long trip to the UK, last March. (The other considered last year was Allianz)

Using Pacific Cross Travel insurance for a transit to the UK this month.

The problem I found in respect to the son, in many Thai policy wording was, that they did not cover residents of the country to be visited. but when you went to the definitions it said Resident = if you hold a passport for that country! Which is not the same thing at all. That would make the policy worthless in the case of a dual national.

The wife picked AIA for past visits, i've not looked at them recently though.

ok thanks for that, i have used axa before for house insurance etc...any idea roughly what the amount was?

18 hours ago, markt42 said:

ok thanks for that, i have used axa before for house insurance etc...any idea roughly what the amount was?

axatraveller,  AXA smart traveller plus, age 11, Mar Apr 2019, 37 Days, 4006THB

Also looked at last year...

AIA travel-guard-international 

travelsense.allianz-assistance

This year used to cover transit to the UK for the son...l

Pacific cross "Outbound Travel insurance "  has a tabulated list of options eg 32-45days 5,181, 3,446 2,662, 1,784,...THB

I've never had to test travel insurance, and I hope that continues!

Edited by UKresonant

I’ve found with Thai insurers most, if not all, of the require claimants to settle bills whilst overseas and then submit a claim on their return.

I had a heart attack whilst visiting Singapore for the weekend, thankfully my wife had insisted that a buy insurance, I wasn’t going to bother.

The heart attack was on the second night and I was in hospital for a week, and stuck in Singapore for a month, the hospital bill was in the region of 500,000 Baht, thankfully I was able to cover it, but I was worried that they’d leave me to fend for myself, they did pay out on our return, took about a month to settle.

I would advice that you try and find a company who will settle directly, I was with AXA and they wouldn’t.

World Nomads has quite good reports, you can purchase and manage online, they will pay directly, but they have an upper age limit.

As your question isn’t visa related, I’ll move it to the insurance forum.

• Like 1