Second hand book shops in Chiang Mai

nglodnig

On 3/15/2020 at 6:36 PM, connda said:

But if given the choice between digital format and paper - I'll personally take paper almost all of the time.  Yeah, the era of Chiang Mai second-hand bookstores seems to have drawn to a conclusion.  Sad.

But they haven't as I posted several times and naming them. I will be restocking tomorrow.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

How long will it take you to hit all three of them?

Far more than 3 but "On the Road" opp UN Pub first ,6 books to return. Then Lost Books on Ratchamanka op the Chinese Medical Centre. That will be several thousand books to peruse but I know what I am looking for and probably all done with in an hour or so,then a coffee.

You should join me and enlighten yourself seeing you continue to believe all bookshops have, or will soon disappear. Lots of new award winning authors which I am enjoying

Might add the AUA library on Sunday Walking Street, haven't been to there for a while.Pay a small membership fee and the books are free to borrow. 

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

How long will it take you to hit all three of them?

3 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Far more than 3 but "On the Road" opp UN Pub first ,6 books to return. Then Lost Books on Ratchamanka op the Chinese Medical Centre. That will be several thousand books to peruse but I know what I am looking for and probably all done with in an hour or so,then a coffee.[/quote]

That's two of 'em.  What's the third?

Lots of new award winning authors which I am enjoying 

True! These days, they are almost all published simultaneously as e-book, audio-book, and print. While you wait two-three weeks for the print form to get to you through the mails, we e-book readers will have already finished our copy that was instantly downloaded into our readers. But don't worry... You will get it eventually.

Might add the AUA library on Sunday Walking Street, haven't been to there for a while.Pay a small membership fee and the books are free to borrow.

Yes, back in the day, AUA had a wonderfully large lending library. I used it often. These days, it's just a shell of its former self... but does still hang on.

On 3/10/2020 at 6:09 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

If that's moving with the times count me out. What happens when your device stops working? Everything breaks.

How can anyone read 5,000 books? it's like having 40,000 songs- no way ever listen to all of them.

Bet you don't have Danny and the Rattlesnakes on your machine. How about the Sanders books?

I used Lost Books when I was looking for a book to read. Found many old treasures there.

Device breaks, you buy a new one. As long as you have the bulk of your books on something like a portable hard/flash drive etc, you'll never have a problem. I read my ebooks on both a Nook and a tablet. You read any one of the 5000 books at your leisure, you aren't expected to read every book on the library shelves either.

Edited by giddyup

On 3/20/2020 at 2:37 PM, FolkGuitar said:

That's two of 'em.  What's the third?

True! These days, they are almost all published simultaneously as e-book, audio-book, and print. While you wait two-three weeks for the print form to get to you through the mails, we e-book readers will have already finished our copy that was instantly downloaded into our readers. But don't worry... You will get it eventually.

Yes, back in the day, AUA had a wonderfully large lending library. I used it often. These days, it's just a shell of its former self... but does still hang on.

"You just can't help yourself prolonging this nonsense can you ? Constantly forcing your way of reading down our throats. I actually found enough new  books at "On the Road" to keep me going for a month.

Just how many books would you like me to read over the next  month, 100, 500 ?

Quote "We e readers will have already read the new books published before they find their way to you" ....whoopee doo for you

Poor me and many others, fancy having to wait 2-3 weeks for book to be in print because we don't have an e reader. How we survive this delay is truly a miracle.

As much as it may annoy you second hand book shops will never disappear, neither will libraries.In fact public libraries in my home country Australia are strongly supported by Government funding and mostly every town has its own library which are are regularly refurbished and re stocked

Even remote areas still receive a mobile library visit on regular basis which is valuable resource for especially retirees. 

Give it a rest don't you have a few 1,000 books to read ?

1 hour ago, Sparkles said:

"You just can't help yourself prolonging this nonsense can you ? Constantly forcing your way of reading down our throats.

"I'm" not 'forcing' my way of reading on anyone.  Living means adopting to modern ideas or methods, or slowly but surely becoming extinct. You might want to hide from that fact, but burying your head in the sand never works, even for ostriches.

As much as it may annoy you second hand book shops will never disappear, neither will libraries.In fact public libraries in my home country Australia are strongly supported by Government funding

Are you really so out of touch with the modern world that you aren't aware that public libraries are closing left and right? Nearly 130 public libraries closed across Britain alone in 2018.  In fact, Britain has closed almost 800 libraries since 2010. Get your facts straight!

Australia and the United States have both added e-books to their lending shelves, which have become a major percentage of library usage. So the libraries in Australia aren't closing... they are evolving and modernizing to meet the current demand for e-books.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2020 at 1:35 PM, FolkGuitar said:

"I'm" not 'forcing' my way of reading on anyone.  Living means adopting to modern ideas or methods, or slowly but surely becoming extinct. You might want to hide from that fact, but burying your head in the sand never works, even for ostriches.

Are you really so out of touch with the modern world that you aren't aware that public libraries are closing left and right? Nearly 130 public libraries closed across Britain alone in 2018.  In fact, Britain has closed almost 800 libraries since 2010. Get your facts straight!

Australia and the United States have both added e-books to their lending shelves, which have become a major percentage of library usage. So the libraries in Australia aren't closing... they are evolving and modernizing to meet the current demand for e-books.

A 2 week break for me from this forum and still the misinformation keeps coming. Post 24 & 28 give you the facts & figures that book sales in the western world are annually growing an e-books are in decline.Has nothing to do with adapting to modern ideas its statistical evidence.

I will remind also you that this thread is about Second Hand Books in Chiang Mai which you have chosen to ignore

Accusing me of being out of the touch,burying my head in the sand or becoming extinct, is just your personal opinion & insulting. I have only started facts throughout this whole discussion not baseless accusations. 

Back on topic the 2 local book shops I mainly frequent are "On the Road" and "Lost Books" run by professional booksellers who have been trading in CM for a long time.Between them they have around 20,000+ books available.Shelves are always full and new arrivals added.

Their turnover of books is substantial and commonsense would tell you if there was no demand they would have closed a long time ago.

There are also 5 other smaller outlets dotted around the town.Your claim that there were second hand book shops on every block years ago is false and you know it. I've been around CM far longer than you have.

Off topic I was given an e reader by a friend back in Australia to trial some 3 years ago.He didn't like that format neither did I. His daughter was the next recipient,same response.My friends in Australia advise me in the libraries they frequent there's not an e reader in sight

How we enjoy reading books is a personal choice as is the benefit of interaction with book shop owners who are happy to discuss new authors and titles. Over time they know the type of books you prefer and have always been exceedingly helpful

You are welcome to you own agenda but for myself and many others we make choices based on our personal preferences & life styles,not influenced that we are some how we out of touch

My monthly trips into the city to get more books is combined with meeting up with like minded friends for coffee or lunch. Its an enjoyable way to enjoy retirement and it will hopefully stay that way for some time to come

On 3/12/2020 at 12:16 PM, neilrob said:

There is still an excellent used book store in Chiang Mai, not far from the Thapae Gate. Look on Google Maps for The Lost Book Shop, just inside the moat. It is owned by the same person as the former Backstreet Books, and continues their excellent service. It has a large stock.

Great shop with a relaxing vide. I love browsing their titles. Nice ppl too.

Agree that FolkG ought to re-evaluate his persistent proselytizing on this, and other topics. You simply cannot let loose of your rag doll and continue to shake it in our faces hoping we will hop on your e-wagon and give you merit.

Sure, some folks, young and old, luv their little gadgets as they walk along the street seeing naught but the screen near their nose. Reading novels, history or

tripadvisor selections, who knows. Who cares?

Their is no possible way that some e-device can be a substitute for the adventures of a big library, or small book shop, to open the doors of imagination and amazement. To me the e-book, not the device so much as the selection offered, is rather like a zoo, all cared for, without interaction, and entirely controlled by authority.  The library of books is much like mother nature herself, full of marvels operating without human control.

I don't care how you spend your time or money, FG. But plz, find something better to do than harangue your neighbors.  It's a stressful time for everyone: corona, indoors, bad air, hot, etc.  I'm gonna try watercolors. 

6 hours ago, chingmai331 said:

I don't care how you spend your time or money, FG. But plz, find something better to do than harangue your neighbors.  It's a stressful time for everyone: corona, indoors, bad air, hot, etc.  I'm gonna try watercolors. 

You know... I haven't said a word about you dinosaurs in more than three weeks. I figure you'll be extinct soon, with only remnants remaining here and there... just like the few book stores that are still open for the moment.

Had you not mentioned my name, I would have been content to stay silent.

But you felt the need to re-visit this thread and start it up again. Fair enough.

Good luck with your books. I hope you have enough to fill your time during this lock-down.

I know I do. And plenty more available to me, should it continue.  Enjoy.