Video: Table collapses as little kid plays nearby - no serious injuries as unnamed furniture company scurries

webfact

Video: Table collapses as little kid plays nearby - no serious injuries as unnamed furniture company scurries

4pm_VI.jpg

Picture: Sanook

CCTV footage showed the moment when a glass table unexpectedly shattered into pieces in Thailand. 

A woman was eating her meal and another woman was playing with a toddler in a play area very close by. 

The toddler was cut on the head but no one was seriously injured. 

The poster "Noo Mewvy" on Facebook said she had not placed anything heavy or hot on the table. It had been purchased from a well known furniture shop in a department store. Sanook said she was waiting to see what the company would offer her.

Thaivisa checked the woman's Facebook page and saw no evidence of the clip or the name of the company concerned. 

But the lady said the company had offered compensation for medical bills and a replacement or different product. 

A poster said that they had visited with a basket of fruit, a cake and a toy for one of the children and all was amicably resolved. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-03-11

6 minutes ago, keith101 said:

The only thing i can possibly think of to cause it maybe a vibration from the mobile and even so should never have happened .

Or the aircon blowing on the glass causing temperature differences.

And the glass hasn't been heat treated i guess...

Or maybe they had a hot pan on the table before....

very strange.

Not heat treated properly to become properly hardened - poor manufacturing processes and nil testing.

Probably some heat from the food and the vibration from phone.

Do not ever buy glass top tables in Thailand.

• Like 1

In my opinion glass top coffee tables should be illegal, having had one tenant die from blood loss after falling through one, and other not so tragic accidents. Now I use strong plastic sheetrock, easily worked to shape, not expensive, and no need to worry about drunks falling and getting seriously injured ????

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

In my opinion glass top coffee tables should be illegal, having had one tenant die from blood loss after falling through one, and other not so tragic accidents. Now I use strong plastic sheetrock, easily worked to shape, not expensive, and no need to worry about drunks falling and getting seriously injured ????

Exactly why i don't have any damn dangerous idea. All my tables are wood.

4 hours ago, AussieBob18 said:

Not heat treated properly to become properly hardened - poor manufacturing processes and nil testing.

Probably some heat from the food and the vibration from phone.

Do not ever buy glass top tables in Thailand.

And shower screens in Australia

There are various reasons for Spontaneous Glass Shattering and strangely one of them is due to the tempering of the glass.

Another cause is Nickle Sulphide. Coatings can also cause this phenomenon when the external has a different thermal gradient to the internal layers.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, keith101 said:

The only thing i can possibly think of to cause it maybe a vibration from the mobile and even so should never have happened .

A glass topped table in a kiddies area is asking for trouble... that should never have been in there!