Road carnage: Pick-up driver killed at U-turn but wife and pet Beagles survive

webfact

Road carnage: Pick-up driver killed at U-turn but wife and pet Beagles survive

8pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Thai Rath reported on a collision between a truck-trailer and a pick-up just after midnight this morning on the Asia Highway in the Manorom district of Chainat in central Thailand. 

An Isuzu D-Max was wedged right under the trailer with its front part protruding on the other side. 

The passenger next to the driver - a 35 year old woman called Ampha from Phayao - was brought out to safety first. She was seriously injured and taken to Manorom Hospital. 

Two scared Beagles were uninjured in the back of the cab. 

The driver could not be extricated and a cable snapped in trying to pull him out. A passing 10 wheel truck was commandeered to help with the pulling but another cable snapped. 

Finally after an hour Khomsan, 37, from Nonthaburi, was brought out but he was already dead. 

The truck driver Samakhee,57, said he was with his wife transporting a consignment of corn from Ayutthaya to Phitsanulok. He was doing a U-turn because he had been told to use a specific gas station by his boss. 

He said he gave plenty of room and time for traffic to stop and one pick-up had already stopped to allow his maneuver. The one that went under his trailer swerved to avoid the stopped pickup. 

Thai Rath reported that the area of the U-turn between KM markers 145 and 146 is badly lit. 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-03-11
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Dangerous U-Turn, No side barriers, no side lights. 

More than likely a pick-up out driving his vision. 

I can’t recall these U-Turns existing anywhere in the UK, do these ‘middle off the road’ U-Turns exist in any other developed nations?

A major factor in Thailands high road fatality statistics it the appalling road design. When combined with inattentive drivers this is the result. 

Indeed. Such frequent u-turns only exist in lesser developed countries. It's even worse in Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar, where there are no u-turn bays, just breaks in the road so anytime a vehicle wants to do a u-turn, you have to move out of the fast lane because otherwise you'll end up colliding with the vehicle in front.

Thailand needs to design better roads. U-turns should go the way of the dodo. Fortunately, they're catching up on major highways where u-turn bays are being closed in favor of underpasses, u-turn bridges or overpasses. However, new roads tend to have u-turn bays designed - sometimes at a three way junction, rather than build an opening to allow traffic to turn right, they design a u-turn 500m back, meaning you have to drive 1km to turn right, rather than being allowed to do so immediately. They often do this instead of installing lights, although in some areas traffic is light enough not to warrant the installation of traffic lights yet they persist with these kind of design errors.

In Australia, u-turn bays exist, though they are rare on dual carriageway highways, where overpasses are preferred. In cities, u-turn bays, where they exist, are controlled by traffic lights. Some cities have quite a few of them (like Melbourne and the Gold Coast) while others have practically none (Sydney).

Edited by drbeach
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another factor is in the UK, most country roads are single carriageway.

Either you have motorways or you have single carriageway roads. Dual carriageway, non-motorway roads are uncommon, except in the cities.

In Thailand, the government is converting many previously single carriageway in each direction roads to dual carriageway, but motorway construction has been slow. Currently, three routes are under construction with the first one (Pattaya Mabthaput) scheduled to open in a couple of months. The only roads in Thailand that can be considered to be up to international standard are it's few motorways/expressways.

It's a little different elsewhere. In the USA, painted median strips are common. You're only supposed to turn or do a u-turn where there's a painted turning lane. In practice, because there are so many cross roads and intersections, it's rare to have to do a u-turn. In Thailand, where the design standard tends to be build big road and perpendicular dead end sois off of them with as few intersections as possible, u-turns become a factor.

Also, some places use painted media strips, but they are being phased out in favor of solid medians and u-turn bays. For example, the Sri Saket-Ubon road is mostly painted median, but others have largely been converted or designed to have a grass or concrete median from the beginning.

Edited by drbeach

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

I can’t recall these U-Turns existing anywhere in the UK, do these ‘middle off the road’ U-Turns exist in any other developed nations?

A major factor in Thailands high road fatality statistics it the appalling road design. When combined with inattentive drivers this is the result. 

Rule of thumb in high risk industries. The biggest vehicle always has right of way.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

similar.  new jersey has 600 or so "jughandles."

some at major intersections, others off by themselves.-1x-1.jpg

• Like 1

It's not the U turn that is dangerous per se. Look at what the truck driver said. He gave the traffic plenty of time to stop!! Presumably this refers to oncoming traffic that have right of way. Whenever I am approaching a U turn on a highway I move as far left as I possibly can and ready to hit the brakes.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

In the USA, in general U turns are illegal.  In California, U turns are allowed at most intersections, unless signs are posted saying not allowed.

ultimately, the pickup has the right of way and the truck has no right to cut him off,

and no amount of slowing down or signalling is going to change that fact.

its a mystery why the truck would even come up with the theory of making

a u turn with these light conditions, he must have recognized the folly beforehand ?

14 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Two cables snapped whist trying to pull him out - how about using one of these:-

800px-03262012Demonstraciones_rescate_erum_fabian_acu%C3%B1a137.JPG

I doubt the 'Jaws-of-life’ would be very effective “trying to pull him out”... Its not as if they attached cables to the mans body and they snapped while trying to ‘tug him out of the vehicle” !!!!!.... 

They were clearly trying to to drag the pickup out from under the truck, the photo in the opening article shows that Jaws of life would have been pretty ineffective with the truck wedged under the lorry - there is no access to be able to cut the roof off and extract the injured/soon to be deceased. 

Screenshot 2020-03-12 at 04.03.55.png

• Thanks 1

On 3/10/2020 at 9:57 PM, cornishcarlos said:

Yup, see them do that all the time.. It involves just continuing as if no-one else is on the road, because they are the biggest....

I would tend to agree but might be jumping the gun on maybe not having the full story?

Sure if it was reported until it is proven wrong the driver side of the story he was already in the process and another truck or pick up had already stop to allow the turn the pick up that went under the big rig supposely sway away from the stop pickup and went under the rig? 

Of course we aren't going to get a follow up report as always?????

1 hour ago, thailand49 said:

I would tend to agree but might be jumping the gun on maybe not having the full story?

Sure if it was reported until it is proven wrong the driver side of the story he was already in the process and another truck or pick up had already stop to allow the turn the pick up that went under the big rig supposely sway away from the stop pickup and went under the rig? 

Of course we aren't going to get a follow up report as always?????

it was night time conditions,

i would sooner expect hallucinations from exhaustion & sleep deprivation

then a truck making a u turn in front of me

11 hours ago, brokenbone said:

it was night time conditions,

i would sooner expect hallucinations from exhaustion & sleep deprivation

then a truck making a u turn in front of me

The report regardless of your thinking night or day!  As I noted until proven wrong driving is getting the " big picture "  so if the driver who crashed into the rig was able to avoid the pick up in front who actually stopped to allow the rig to complete the turn who had his lights on shining at the truck regardless of reflectors I think the other pickup if was going at proper speed not asleep would have also done so. If it was sleep deprivation it would have been the pickup who stopped in the news?

If it is proven there was no other pickup then you might be right!  but I doubt we will find a follow up story as whether the rig driver was telling the truth or lying?

1 hour ago, thailand49 said:

The report regardless of your thinking night or day!  As I noted until proven wrong driving is getting the " big picture "  so if the driver who crashed into the rig was able to avoid the pick up in front who actually stopped to allow the rig to complete the turn who had his lights on shining at the truck regardless of reflectors I think the other pickup if was going at proper speed not asleep would have also done so. If it was sleep deprivation it would have been the pickup who stopped in the news?

If it is proven there was no other pickup then you might be right!  but I doubt we will find a follow up story as whether the rig driver was telling the truth or lying?

ime, driving at night is perilous,

visibility just isnt there and i have to rely on others to comply

with traffic regulations, and hope a dog doesnt jump in front of me

9 hours ago, brokenbone said:

ime, driving at night is perilous,

visibility just isnt there and i have to rely on others to comply

with traffic regulations, and hope a dog doesnt jump in front of me

I have to agree! Given the choice it would be day time all the way.  I just made a trip a few weeks ago up North, left at 3am, maybe my eyesight is really getting bad all the signs were blurred it seem!  Many of the trucks had so many brights lights the back of their rig make it even harder to see.

I need to get to the rest stop get gas and hit the only place open for some coffee Big M,  last second big rig comes merging in preventing me from turning in cost me a good hour.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2020 at 10:46 PM, VocalNeal said:

...and for this they need more taxes paid. By everyone no matter where their income comes from.

Taxes for road construction come mainly from gasoline excise tax. And as we all know, these are high enough in Thailand. I think the problem comes from lack of knowledge of how to design better roads, or Thai stubbornness to change, as opposed to a lack of tax collection.

Thailand's road system is reasonably good for a developing country, but there are some shortcomings. On the positive side, most motorways and expressways are well designed, but there are far too few of them.

Edited by drbeach

On 3/11/2020 at 11:57 AM, cornishcarlos said:

Yup, see them do that all the time.. It involves just continuing as if no-one else is on the road, because they are the biggest....

Reread the article; a pickup truck had already stopped to let the heavy vehicle easily maneuver;
but the other "Fangio" could not stop in time.
We see this kind of maneuver commonly on the very dangerous U-Turns of Thailand;
when the line of those who want to turn is too long, generally 1 or more "good samaritan (s) stop to let pass the line in question And of course there is often a madman who <deleted> the mess because he drives too fast and especially prefers to look at his smartphone rather than the road in front of him.

Replacing these U-turns with roundabouts would not take up more space and would otherwise be more secure;
provided they are made as in UK and not as in France.