How Many "official" Wives Allowed In Thailand

Prakanong

I was under the impression that men and women can have only one registered marriage in Thailand. All sami nois and mia nois must have just the "buddhist" or "muslim" ceremony if any at all.

I believe that there is some ignorance on your part. Buddhism does not allow adultery and second marriage.

Similarly, in Islam, a woman is not allowed to have multiple husbands, however, a man can have multiple wives. Adultery is also not allowed in Islam.

The concept of Sami Noi and Mia Noi is not in terms of marriage but in terms of sexual relationship without any legal bindings.

As far as Muslims are concerned, they can have multiple wives anywhere in the world. Any law restricting the multiple marriages can be void on the basis of religious freedom, which many countries have to follow based on their constitutions. :o

Good luck on this aspect of religious freedom in USA. One wife per customer. End of story. Anyone want to challenge it?

Reading a story in The Straits Times today in relation to a guy jailed in Singapore regarding 3 of his 10 wives are about to be sntenced for aiding and abetting.

Not wishing to bring up the matter of the crime as its not in connection with how many wives but the story does say the marriages were "Registered" in Thailand but are not recognised in Singapore.

By registered I am taking to mean officially ie Amphur - is this possible in Thailand?

Is is possible but for only certain religions?

I think the offense of bigamy can be applied if one of these marriages is registered in a country where bigamy is an offense, its rarely imposed but in certain multiple marriage type offenses it can,

Edited by mikethevigoman

I was under the impression that men and women can have only one registered marriage in Thailand. All sami nois and mia nois must have just the "buddhist" or "muslim" ceremony if any at all.

I believe that there is some ignorance on your part. Buddhism does not allow adultery and second marriage.

Similarly, in Islam, a woman is not allowed to have multiple husbands, however, a man can have multiple wives. Adultery is also not allowed in Islam.

The concept of Sami Noi and Mia Noi is not in terms of marriage but in terms of sexual relationship without any legal bindings.

As far as Muslims are concerned, they can have multiple wives anywhere in the world. Any law restricting the multiple marriages can be void on the basis of religious freedom, which many countries have to follow based on their constitutions. :o

touchy subject this one but i must say as i see it the muslim man can have multiple wives but adultery is illegal ? ,.so if he only sleps with the 4 wives hes ok is it ?

touchy subject this one ,am i reading it right that a muslim man can have 4 wives but adultery is illegal ? ,. so on that line as long as he only ! sleeps with the 4 wives hes not commiting an offense ? we westerners are trying to understand but ill bet this law was passed by a man,. i have been called a chauvanist before but this seems a tad out of date and a bit unfair,.

Good luck on this aspect of religious freedom in USA. One wife per customer. End of story. Anyone want to challenge it?

Polygamy is not an uncommon practice in many western and sothwestern US states. Although a man or woman can only have one legal spouse, that doesn't stop the practice. Only the legally registered wife would be entitled to any legal benefits. In other words, the additional wives are the equivilent of mia nois. Polygamists who run into trouble with the law are usually those who take 'wives' who are minors.

A man can have one legal wife in Thailand, period! Minor wives are widely accepted but it will be a BIG problem if wife number (mia luang) feels she is being deprived of her fair share. My legal Thai wife told me that I could have a mia noi as long as the mia noi understood that she worked for my wife. My wife thinks I would have a problem finding a mia noi who would agree with the arrangement.

A man can have one legal wife in Thailand, period! Minor wives are widely accepted but it will be a BIG problem if wife number (mia luang) feels she is being deprived of her fair share. My legal Thai wife told me that I could have a mia noi as long as the mia noi understood that she worked for my wife. My wife thinks I would have a problem finding a mia noi who would agree with the arrangement.

Is your wife right ? :o

LaoPo