Dimwit Brit would rather not electrocute himself

Toolong

8 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Is the correct answer. In theory, you should be able to go to your consumer unit, flip off the appropriate circuit breaker and work safely on the circuit.

BUT, this is Thailand and I have lived in a house where switching off the circuit breaker did NOT kill the live side. It switched off the neutral side instead. Even replacing a florescent ring tube was risky!

The only way to ensure that you're working on a dead circuit is to knock off main switch. And you need to ensure that it kills both sides of the circuit. The knife switch, illustrated above in #15 will do that.

You can, in addition, check for a live wire by using a simple electricians test screwdriver, the one with a glowing element inside.

Above don't take a risk. If you're not absolutely sure that you know you're doing admit it and get someone in who does.

Take care.

You check by turning on the light

13 hours ago, Toolong said:

If the wall switch is NOT turned ON, can I safely disconnect/handle the wires on the ceiling and connect to a new light shade without risk of electrocuting myself?

Yes...but make sure your wife stays far away from the switch...

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

You check by turning on the light

Wrong! The light might not come on, but that doesn't mean there is not a live wire there. If the light switch is on the neutral side, as was the case in my house in Udon Thani, the circuit is still live and potentially dangerous.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Moonlover said:

Wrong! The light might not come on, but that doesn't mean there is not a live wire there. If the light switch is on the neutral side, as was the case in my house in Udon Thani, the circuit is still live and potentially dangerous.

Something wrong with your house buddy

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

Something wrong with your house buddy

Yes I know that. And that is why I am making sure that the O/P understands the risks.

I'm sure, in fact, I know that my house in Udon Thani wasn't the only house that was incorrectly wired. To my knowledge, every house on the mobaam was the same.

Inside the consumer unit was a wiring diagram that clearly showed how to wire it incorrectly! What could possibly go right?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAG said:

That's why the Thais always use bamboo ladders...

They use those ladders in the rain so suspect it has more to do with them being cheap and strong and have been used for centuries rather than any insulative value.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

You can, in addition, check for a live wire by using a simple electricians test screwdriver, the one with a glowing element inside.

Apart from what everyone else has suggested, not actually touching the bare wires is maybe the best way to go. Use a good insulated screwdriver and a pair  of insulated needle nosed pliers. 

A bit fiddly but.....

It is not uncommon for the "live and neautral" to be reversed in the street so when turning off the switch you do not isolate the 220v. 

Turn the main consumer box switch off doing anything with LOS electrics, but do not assume "all" electric is turned off, I have the T-shirt for that one.????

Buy yourself a test screw driver, cheap and easy to use, put your thumb or finger on the top and the screw driver end on a wire to test if live....

tester.jpg.99495dd1e86f04ba2bba21137dccbd73.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Apart from what everyone else has suggested, not actually touching the bare wires is maybe the best way to go. Use a good insulated screwdriver and a pair  of insulated needle nosed pliers. 

A bit fiddly but.....

It is not uncommon for the "live and neautral" to be reversed in the street so when turning off the switch you do not isolate the 220v. 

It doesn't matter which way round the incoming supply is as long as there is a 'double ganged' breaker in the circuit. (that's one that isolates both lines) You can then be sure that both wires are dead.

An old adage from my training days with the Air Force comes to mind:

'Never assume, always check'.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

It doesn't matter which way round the incoming supply is as long as there is a 'double ganged' breaker in the circuit. (that's one that isolates both lines) You can then be sure that both wires are dead.

But as I don't live at his house I don't know what he has. Also don't know if he has a volt meter or tester.

So better not to touch bare conductors. Didn't they teach you that?

18 hours ago, Toolong said:

Appreciate all comments & suggestion, even the odd ones. 

saengd....get what you're saying about resetting things if brief total shutdown, thanks.

Truth is.....Thai wife could find out for me in minutes, or find someone to do it for pennies or even do it herself!......But I'm too ashamed to reveal my total freakin ignorance!

Then claim it is laziness.

Ill bet you get no argument

34 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

But as I don't live at his house I don't know what he has. Also don't know if he has a volt meter or tester.

So better not to touch bare conductors. Didn't they teach you that?

I've handled literally thousands of bare conductors during my career and I'm alive to tell the tale. And it's because I have always practiced what I said earlier. 'Never assume, always check'. 

23 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

How many farangs to change a light bulb?

None, they ask a bargirl to do it

And as a Thai, she holds it to the socket, and the world revolves around her...

sorry, just couldn't resist it!

One of the main faults with Thai electrical stuff is no EARTH wire is fitted. Last few years they have been pushed to include it. So you may have the switch off but there is a hidden ghost circuit feeding that light. Go for safety find the circuit breaker and turn it off, then test the light with one of those screwdrivers with a small bulb in the handle make sure its dead no light comes on. Have fun with the circuit breaker board as most electrical workers are too lazy to write what the circuit breaker controls. Each time I do some different electrical work I add more details in the circuit breaker box.

3 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

Not sure if I got through all the posts if this already answered:

What kind of shade needs to disconnect/reconnect the supply wires in order to replace?  

No photo but could be chain with wires in it holding the lamp socket and shade - as such wires can be less than ideal after a life of vermin eating best not to touch them if live and to replace shade will probably require holding at some point.  

image.jpeg.509d6bd277d92add958105ffea7dde62.jpeg

6 hours ago, transam said:

Turn the main consumer box switch off doing anything with LOS electrics, but do not assume "all" electric is turned off, I have the T-shirt for that one.????

Buy yourself a test screw driver, cheap and easy to use, put your thumb or finger on the top and the screw driver end on a wire to test if live....

tester.jpg.99495dd1e86f04ba2bba21137dccbd73.jpg

Be extra careful with those. In good condition with no faults they are OK, but they can and do fail in such a way as to give full mains voltage and current. You do not want to find that out up a ladder as the shock may not be deadly but combined with knocking you off the steps it maybe very nasty or terminal.

5 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Be extra careful with those. In good condition with no faults they are OK, but they can and do fail in such a way as to give full mains voltage and current. You do not want to find that out up a ladder as the shock may not be deadly but combined with knocking you off the steps it maybe very nasty or terminal.

Actually, the one I have lights up without touching the handle end...I like that...????