France closes shops, restaurants, tells people to stay home

rooster59

France closes shops, restaurants, tells people to stay home

By John Irish

2020-03-15T000758Z_2_LYNXMPEG2D0OA_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-FRANCE.JPG

People enjoy dinner and drinks, after the French Prime Minister announcement that the shut down of no essentials commerces and places will start in France at midnight, in le Touquet, France, March 14, 2020. REUTERS/Pascal Rossignol

PARIS (Reuters) - France will shut shops, restaurants and entertainment facilities from Sunday with its 67 million people told to stay home to help fight the rapid acceleration of the coronavirus in a country where the number of cases has doubled in 72 hours.

The government had no other option, Prime Minister Edouard Philippe told a news conference after the public health authority said 91 people had died in France and almost 4,500 were now infected.

"I have decided to close all non-essential locations, notably cafes, restaurants, cinemas, nightclubs and shops," he said. "We must absolutely limit our movements."

Exceptions to the shop ban will include food stores, pharmacies, petrol stations and tobacconists.

However, Philippe said Sunday's local elections would go ahead under strict sanitary conditions. This confirmed a decision to press ahead with them by President Emmanuel Macron, who had already announced the closure of schools from Monday and advised people over the age of 70 to stay indoors.

"We didn't expect it to be so quick," said Jason Holt, 28, manager at the Cafe Montparnasse. "We're a little shocked because we're going to find ourselves without work."

Philippe said the government had been left with no choice because too many people were still out in the streets and not sufficiently applying recently announced measures, including keeping a safe distance from each other.

That, he said, was helping accelerate the spread of the virus.

Highlighting just that, many bars were still packed after Philippe's announcement and some reported a surge in attendance after the closure order became public, as revellers turned out for a last drink despite recommendations to avoid crowds.

"I WILL SURVIVE"

At one bar on Rue Oberkampf, a popular nightlife area, people were linking arms singing Gloria Gaynor’s "I will survive".

"We were a little depressed because we didn't expect it, but we said okay, let's do our last night today," said 18-year-old student Nadia Abd-Ali, sipping a cocktail with her friend.

Philippe said public transport would remain open, but that the government expected companies to put into place systems for people to work from home beginning on Monday. The Chamonix ski resort said it was shutting down from Sunday joining Disneyland Paris, which also closed its doors on Saturday.

The go-ahead for elections drew some criticism and concern over the possibility of people being infected at polling stations.

Jerome Salomon, head of the French public health authority, said there had been a rapid increase in serious cases, including 300 people in intensive care, half of whom were below 60 years of age.

"To date, there has not been enough awareness by French women and men of the importance of their role in the face of the virus. It is urgent. Now is the time to change our behaviour," he said.

"We must now do everything to delay, to slow down, to clip the curve of this epidemic."

The government wants to avoid a situation where hospitals are overwhelmed by the number of serious cases.

Neighbouring Italy's health system has been severely strained by the coronavirus outbreak there.

"I am conscious of the efforts and sacrifices that we are asking, but I have faith that the French people will have the capacity to understand the seriousness of this moment," Philippe said.

(Additional reporting by Yonathan Van der Voort and Sarah White; Editing by Catherine Evans, William Maclean, Frances Kerry and David Gregorio)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-03-15

22 minutes ago, Tug said:

Kinda off topic but I wonder what the birth rate will be 9 months from now lol I guess that’s the silver lining!

They will probably call them the corna generation as they called the baby boomers millennials generations...

4 hours ago, vogie said:

Will anybody notice the closure, our local huit a huit (8 till 8.) shop opened at 9 am closed for lunch for about one and a half hours and shut at 1800hrs.

Ha Ha. The same in St Aulaye until one day it closed forever!

It always made me smile, but the locals never could quite see it.

If it was 8 till 8 (including all food breaks and travel time) then they would be right.

• Haha 1

In Austria the Tobacconist also sells phone top ups, newspapers, tickets for public transport, lottery tickets. May be same in France.

Btw, in Austria shops but for food, banks, petropl stations, are closed. Certain areas are under quarantine, tourists have to leave, skiing season was cut short.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Highlighting just that, many bars were still packed after Philippe's announcement and some reported a surge in attendance after the closure order became public, as revellers turned out for a last drink despite recommendations to avoid crowds.

"I WILL SURVIVE"

At one bar on Rue Oberkampf, a popular nightlife area, people were linking arms singing Gloria Gaynor’s "I will survive".

"We were a little depressed because we didn't expect it, but we said okay, let's do our last night today," said 18-year-old student Nadia Abd-Ali, sipping a cocktail with her friend.

They call these " corona parties" in the west.

Let us accelerate the spread of the virus, as this might be our last chance

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Morons. So many live in a cocooned lackadaisical bubble thinking nothing can go wrong. People are so reckless now and ambivalent to consequences. I'm mean, for example, how do you end up falling off a cliff whilst trying to take a photo of yourself?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, smedly said:

strong rumours that Thailand is about to do something similar and I will say it again - is there something they are not telling because the constant message is all under control and only ** infections of which ** are now cured - pretty much the same message for 12 weeks with little change 

It’s not rumour - bars will be closed in Thailand from tomorrow. The papers have already gone out in Bangkok 

11 minutes ago, Bruntoid said:

It’s not rumour - bars will be closed in Thailand from tomorrow. The papers have already gone out in Bangkok 

The govt meeting for these suggestions is tomorrow, so unless you have written proof, then your post is false news at this time. 

27 minutes ago, Brigand said:

Morons. So many live in a cocooned lackadaisical bubble thinking nothing can go wrong. People are so reckless now and ambivalent to consequences. I'm mean, for example, how do you end up falling off a cliff whilst trying to take a photo of yourself?

Back a bit, back a bit, aaaaargh!

????????????

1 hour ago, Letseng said:

In Austria the Tobacconist also sells phone top ups, newspapers, tickets for public transport, lottery tickets. May be same in France.

Btw, in Austria shops but for food, banks, petropl stations, are closed. Certain areas are under quarantine, tourists have to leave, skiing season was cut short.

The name used is " bureau de tabac "; as said above, in France, they sell different things as in Austria , not only tobacco, but I wouldn't assimilate them to " seven/eleven", it's not a small supermarket 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Letseng said:

same for France + sale of fiscal stamps, Western Union services, Nickel Bank accounts and soon to come... pay your taxes at the tobacconist !

Edited by Opl

On 3/15/2020 at 8:13 AM, smedly said:

strong rumours that Thailand is about to do something similar and I will say it again - is there something they are not telling because the constant message is all under control and only ** infections of which ** are now cured - pretty much the same message for 12 weeks with little change 

I was thinking that only Thai could not understand the real problem with this virus ? but it seems that foreigners also need to learn...

This virus is not a problem for 90% people, but for 10% it can lead to death.

The problem is not to treat the symptoms as we just need respiratory help, the problem is that in a country like Thailand 200000 people could need some respiratory help when only 10000+ machines are available in hospitals...

So the only problem is that if too many people will need ICU at the same time, hospitals cannot treat them because not enough beds.

Nothing else to think about or understand.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, gamesgplayemail said:

I was thinking that only Thai could not understand the real problem with this virus ? but it seems that foreigners also need to learn...

The problem is not to treat the symptoms as we just need respiratory help, the problem is that in a country like Thailand 200000 people could need some respiratory help when only 10000+ machines are available in hospitals...

So the only problem is that if too many people will need ICU at the same time, hospitals cannot treat them because not enough beds.

well thanks for clearing that up, good to see we have highly qualified virologists posting on TVF to correct and educate the stupid 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, gamesgplayemail said:

Exactly, It's a demand/capacity management issue which is similar to the one service companies such as airlines usually experience. Except that one cannot increase prices at peak time to divert demand.

The virus is unstoppable. The objective of the current decisions is flatten the demand curve in order to reduce the gap with the current health system capacity.

Edited by candide
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, smedly said:

well thanks for clearing that up, good to see we have highly qualified virologists posting on TVF to correct and educate the stupid 

What a ridiculous comment.

no need to be a doctor to know that most countries have the same problem (except chitna).

All EU country could have 200000+ people to put on beds but do not have more than 10000+ beds...

But it's clear that most people do not even understand the only real problem with this virus, you are a great example.

12 minutes ago, gamesgplayemail said:

What a ridiculous comment.

no need to be a doctor to know that most countries have the same problem (except chitna).

All EU country could have 200000+ people to put on beds but do not have more than 10000+ beds...

But it's clear that most people do not even understand the only real problem with this virus, you are a great example.

go do some research on the pandemic of 1918 vers covid 19 and report back here

between 50-100 million people died with an estimated mortality rate of 1%

but hey what's 100 million people