Covid-19 - Declared Pandemic - Insurance coverage

CALSinCM

Something for those who have insurance coverage to consider.  Does your policy cover declared pandemics?  The World Health Organization declared Covid-19 to be a pandemic last week.  I am aware that some insurance companies exclude pandemics in their policies.  It would probably be prudent for policy holders to review the exclusion section of their policies to verify that testing and treatment of Covid-19 is covered and not explicitly excluded due to being declared a 'pandemic'.

• Like 1

Most insurance policies I have read (including my current one and prior one) do not have a clause excluding epidemics/pandemics.

Mostly this will be encountered with travel policies, not regular policies. 

But agree people should check their policy wording to be sure.

Don't bother with any that have less than 1 million in cover.

Most people with COVUID will not need hospitalization but the minority who do, will usually  need far more cover than most of these policies offer.

• Like 2

On 3/16/2020 at 11:35 AM, Sheryl said:

Don't bother with any that have less than 1 million in cover.

Most people with COVUID will not need hospitalization but the minority who do, will usually  need far more cover than most of these policies offer.

This is on my travel insurance policy:

What's not covered under any part of your policy

We won't cover any costs that directly or indirectly relate to or arise from the following, unless you have contacted us and we have confirmed in writing that you will be covered:

13. Epidemics which have been placed under the direction of public authorities.

You are still more than welcome to submit a claim for consideration at https://www.worldnomads.com/travel-insurance/claim-online

As it looks like I'm not covered for medical expenses in case of Coronavirus, wouldn't be better for me to have at least one of those reported above?

The Krungsri or the TQM for example?

Thanks

1 hour ago, yuiop said:

This is on my travel insurance policy:

What's not covered under any part of your policy

We won't cover any costs that directly or indirectly relate to or arise from the following, unless you have contacted us and we have confirmed in writing that you will be covered:

13. Epidemics which have been placed under the direction of public authorities.

You are still more than welcome to submit a claim for consideration at https://www.worldnomads.com/travel-insurance/claim-online

As it looks like I'm not covered for medical expenses in case of Coronavirus, wouldn't be better for me to have at least one of those reported above?

The Krungsri or the TQM for example?

Thanks

Yes but get one with high cover. And maybe contact them (World Nomads) first as this wording is not clear abd soynds lije they might cover if yoy first contact them. Give the specifics of where you are as that may make a diffetence.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2020 at 5:11 PM, THAIPHUKET said:

Wise suggestion. I had hoped the WHO would withhold the definition PANDEMIC. Because millions will lose their cover, 

The big winner is the insurance industry, no one else.

Doesn't make much difference to the industry as a whole. The difference is that those covering pandemics will jhave re-i9nsurance, those excluding it will bear the risks themselves.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/17/2020 at 11:50 PM, churchill said:

I have Aetna Platinum Cover and I checked if they covered treatment for Covid 19 , even though declared a pandemic  ..

and Yes covered for any hospital inpatient treatment .

may i ask where you got confirmation that Aetna Platinum Cover covers treatment for Covid-19 with 1 million THB in cover? i also have this policy but cannot find any info and would like it for visa entry requirements. the person who sold me the plan went MIA after issuing the paid invoice. any help with where to look would be appreciated. i called and waited on hold for 30 minutes before giving up and emailed the customer contact form online but so far no one has responded. thanks in advance krub.