A seriously new low for the Australian dollar

23 hours ago, Lacessit said:

The Chinese economy is second only to that of the USA, and fast overtaking it. You can't have a stutter in that economy ( coronavirus ) without a domino effect. Supply chains everywhere are disrupted. China produces about 90% of the world's antibiotics, and 95% of the rare earths used in smartphones etc. Like it or not, we are all dependent on China to some degree.

And that degree is too much, and dangerously so. Dangerously so, and it is wise and prudent to NOT have a single source. I do not understand your comment. You act as if we have no choice. "Like it or not" what is that supposed to mean? Exactly, because this crisis has exposed the idiocy of being overly reliant on another country is precisely why it needs to change. Neither, the Australian, American, or other economy should depend on China alone for antibiotics or other needed medical supplies. And we DO have the power to change that. Yeah, I don't like it.

8 hours ago, pdtokyo said:

Someone else? Another unhelpful post ... if we have good information to share ... why not share it. Else why bother?

just ask for the name and don't answer with a stupid reply.

https://www.riamoneytransfer.com/au/en?cid=ppc-ga_brand_exact&ppc=ppc-ga_brand_exact&medium=tsa&gclid=Cj0KCQjwjcfzBRCHARIsAO-1_Op_IQlTUqfnWYaNmuXRDcQLgNBuNzQvrQxSkwmxEHl3rznfu3psd9QaAomCEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

so many people hate America.  Trump this, that....blamed for everything.  America the worst!!!  oh, they love to bash.....

but when the dust settles....... well, America remains very strong and then people realize all their bashing did them zero good.  

in America, nobody says anything bad about Australia.  don't worry, America will send you money if you need it.  

7 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

so many people hate America.  Trump this, that....blamed for everything.  America the worst!!!  oh, they love to bash.....

but when the dust settles....... well, America remains very strong and then people realize all their bashing did them zero good.  

in America, nobody says anything bad about Australia.  don't worry, America will send you money if you need it.  

The US would be better off giving the money to the hundreds of thousands homeless there.

Edited by giddyup

It is lower then 18 to the dollar now and falling.  We have clients who are reconsidering staying in Thailand as the cost of meeting the requirements for a marriage visa 40,000THB per month increases as the dollar drops. Making it by comparison cheaper to relocate back to Australia

On 3/19/2020 at 4:30 AM, pdtokyo said:

In case anyone in doubt, you will, not may, find yourself in 14 day ''self-isolation" ... applies to all incoming passengers regardless of nationality or prior destination.

As for the coffee, that's right. It's near-impossible to get bad coffee anywhere in a population centre ... Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane etc.

Coffee .. now cafes are being forced to close. Take away only, if lucky. Restaurants too. Home delivery only.

Frankly, I think it's overkill.

On 3/19/2020 at 1:37 PM, giddyup said:

The US would be better off giving the money to the hundreds of thousands homeless there.

Or better, investing in a medical system, sharing features of what people enjoy in the UK, Norway and for the moment, Australia. This: free public hospitals for all. 

On 3/19/2020 at 9:14 AM, OffshoreMig said:

It is lower then 18 to the dollar now and falling.  We have clients who are reconsidering staying in Thailand as the cost of meeting the requirements for a marriage visa 40,000THB per month increases as the dollar drops. Making it by comparison cheaper to relocate back to Australia

yes the bad exchange rates are punishing many people from many countries.  2004 my first trip USD to Baht was 44.  Recently it pushed "up" to 32 due to world conditions.  Those that retired early and on fixed incomes had big issues

Yes Don't we all. 

When I moved here in 2001 the UK pound was at the unbelievable high of B76 (left over of Asian Financial Crises).

It fell slowly over the years and stabilized at around B55 ish.

The along came Brexit and Hello B40 on a good month but B38-39 many and now.

I have my money in the bank as a lump sum.

Even when I could have made the monthly sum of B65K it would not have worked as payment was every 28 days, 2 payments in some months or a 6 monthly in arrears.  

john