Borderrun by land without many problems today??

Today I(Dutch Nationality) like to make in advance of changing rules,a borderrun with my Non-O multiple entry visa in Chon Chom (Surin). Starting today people from many countries are not allowed to enter Cambodia, but from The Netherlands is allowed as far as I can see...

When I re-enter to Thailand (if possible) should I have to show a health certificate or follow the rule of self measurement???? Has anyone useful recent information about this???

Edited by Sjoerd

As of this moment Chong Chom is open. All Cambodian Immigration wants is 1800 baht for a border bounce same as always. Thai side is doing a health check. This can change at a moment notice as all you can do is come on down and try to cross. I will be going to Surin Immigration today for an update.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

As of this moment Chong Chom is open. All Cambodian Immigration wants is 1800 baht for a border bounce same as always. Thai side is doing a health check. This can change at a moment notice as all you can do is come on down and try to cross. I will be going to Surin Immigration today for an update.

The rule that Dutch people need to download an app before entering is only at the airport? I scare not can come back to Thailand....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sjoerd said:

The rule that Dutch people need to download an app before entering is only at the airport? I scare not can come back to Thailand....

The only thing Cambodia wants is the 1800 baht for a U Turn as for the app have not heard of it. At this moment RUMORS are abound that this crossing has or will be closed. This crossing as of this moment is open.

2 hours ago, Sjoerd said:

You have to read any announcement about the requirements to enter a country very carefully.

Most of the restrictions are only if you have been in the affected country shortly before entering another country.

• Like 1

I have just returned from SI and have confirmed with them and there was NO misunderstanding:D

1. Surin Immigration is NOT moving to Surin it is staying in Kap Choeng.:D:D:D BUT they are plaining on a new office in Surin at what they call the new government office.;;bad simle;;

2. The BIG ONE. The Chong Chom Crossing IS NOT CLOSED BUT Americans, French and Italians can not use it and other nationalities may be added. If you are one of the three I mentioned Thai Immigration will not stamp you out.;;exciting;;

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You have to read any announcement about the requirements to enter a country very carefully.

Most of the restrictions are only if you have been in the affected country shortly before entering another country.

I tried to read all I could find in the last days; not easy to find all the updated information about Cambodia,Thailand and Dutch people. As example German people are not allowed starting today to enter Cambodia (see link above)  I also read about have to download an app and keep in contact the first 2 weeks you came into Thailand.  I posted my question this morning to find some relevant information which I could have missed....

This morning I went to Chon Chom. Stamped out without problems; only a temperature check. Came into Cambodia, again check temperature, paid 1500Bath and 100 extra because I not had pictures with me (I thought it was not necessary anymore..). Checked out for 300 bath.

After went back to the Thai immigration; checked temperature, had to fill in a kind of healthpaper about where I was the last 2 weeks and if had problems. This paper was checked at an office and they made a stamp backsite the arrival/departure card. After this I went back to the immigrattion officer who checked every used page of my passport, the stamp backsite on the arrival card and stamped me in for 90 days

Is a borderrun with an Non -O multiple visa limited to 2 times a year??                                

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the ChonChom report.

- You have to read carefully when reading 'entry-ban' information.  Often it does NOT refer to your nationality but refers to the country of arrival.  It doesn't make sense to not allow entry to e.g. german people that haven't been in Germany for more than 6 months.

- The 2 land-border crossings per calendar year rule ONLY applies for VisaExempt entries, and is not applicable for crossings on a valid Visa.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, khwaibah said:

2. The BIG ONE. The Chong Chom Crossing IS NOT CLOSED BUT Americans, French and Italians can not use it and other nationalities may be added. If you are one of the three I mentioned Thai Immigration will not stamp you out.;;exciting;;

I think Thai immigration needs to ask Cambodia about it.

"CAMBODIA – published 14.03.2020
Effective from 17.03.2020:
All passengers who in the past 14 days have been to, or are originating from France, Germany, Italy, Spain or USA are not allowed to enter or transit Cambodia. This restriction applies for 30 days.
- This does not apply to nationals of Cambodia or residents of Cambodia."

Source: https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I think Thai immigration needs to ask Cambodia about it.

"CAMBODIA – published 14.03.2020
Effective from 17.03.2020:
All passengers who in the past 14 days have been to, or are originating from France, Germany, Italy, Spain or USA are not allowed to enter or transit Cambodia. This restriction applies for 30 days.
- This does not apply to nationals of Cambodia or residents of Cambodia."

Source: https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

I agree but as I said there was no misunderstanding on my questions and answers. The rumors are rampant on local media about the situation at SI&CC. If someone needs to due a bounce they are going to have to go to the crossing and take their chance.

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

Thanks for the ChonChom report.

- You have to read carefully when reading 'entry-ban' information.  Often it does NOT refer to your nationality but refers to the country of arrival.  It doesn't make sense to not allow entry to e.g. german people that haven't been in Germany for more than 6 months.

- The 2 land-border crossings per calendar year rule ONLY applies for VisaExempt entries, and is not applicable for crossings on a valid Visa.

Thank you for your answers and advice.  Morning I posted already this link where you can find the restrictions of many countries:

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

Do you maybe know a link for me where I can find detailed information about the restrictions of Thailand?

1 minute ago, Sjoerd said:

Thank you for your answers and advice.  Morning I posted already this link where you can find the restrictions of many countries:

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

Do you maybe know a link for me where I can find detailed information about the restrictions of Thailand?

The link you provided is from the International IATA Travel website which contains the information of ALL countries, including Thailand.

The link is updated continually, and this was the situation for Thailand on 13 March:

THAILAND - published 13.03.2020
1. Passengers arriving from China (People's Rep.), Hong Kong (SAR China), Iran, Italy, Korea (Rep.) or Macao (SAR China) must have a Health Certificate as well as Lab Test COVID-19 to prove they are free from Coronavirus (COVID-19). The Health Certificate and Lab Test COVID-19 must be valid for not more than 2 days prior to departure.
- This does not apply to airline crew.
2. Passengers arriving from China (People's Rep.), Hong Kong (SAR China), Iran, Italy, Korea (Rep.) or Macao (SAR China) must have a medical insurance with coverage of 100,000 USD.
- This does not apply to nationals of Thailand.
3. Passengers and crew members must present a completed T.8 health questionnaire to Health Control Office upon arrival.
4. Crew members not based in Thailand arriving from China (People's Rep.), Hong Kong (SAR China), Iran, Italy, Korea (Rep.) or Macao (SAR China) will be quarantined at the hotel until next departure schedule.
5. Crew members based in Thailand arriving from China (People's Rep.), Hong Kong (SAR China), Iran, Italy, Korea (Rep.) or Macao (SAR China) will be quarantined at home until next departure schedule.
- This does not apply when they only transited through China (People's Rep.), Hong Kong (SAR China), Iran, Italy, Korea (Rep.) or Macao (SAR China).
6. Based on the travel advisory restriction issued by United Arab Emirates Government, nationals of United Arab Emirates are not allowed to travel to Thailand.
7. Nationals of Bulgaria, Bhutan, China (People's Rep.), Cyprus, Ethiopia, Fiji, Georgia, India, Kazakhstan, Malta, Mexico, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Romania, Saudi Arabia, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu and passengers with a Chinese Taipei (on the cover: Republic of China Taiwan) passport can no longer obtain a visa on arrival.
8. Nationals of Italy are no longer visa exempt.

46 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

The link you provided is from the International IATA Travel website which contains the information of ALL countries, including Thailand.

The link is updated continually, and this was the situation for Thailand on 13 March:

THAILAND - published 13.03.2020
1. Passengers arriving from China (People's Rep.), Hong Kong (SAR China), Iran, Italy, Korea (Rep.) or Macao (SAR China) must have a Health Certificate as well as Lab Test COVID-19 to prove they are free from Coronavirus (COVID-19). The Health Certificate and Lab Test COVID-19 must be valid for not more than 2 days prior to departure.
2. Passengers arriving from China (People's Rep.), Hong Kong (SAR China), Iran, Italy, Korea (Rep.) or Macao (SAR China) must have a medical insurance with coverage of 100,000 USD.
- This does not apply to nationals of Thailand.
3. Passengers and crew members must present a completed T.8 health questionnaire to Health Control Office upon arrival.
4. Crew members not based in Thailand arriving from China (People's Rep.), Hong Kong (SAR China), Iran, Italy, Korea (Rep.) or Macao (SAR China) will be quarantined at the hotel until next departure schedule.
5. Crew members based in Thailand arriving from China (People's Rep.), Hong Kong (SAR China), Iran, Italy, Korea (Rep.) or Macao (SAR China) will be quarantined at home until next departure schedule.
- This does not apply when they only transited through China (People's Rep.), Hong Kong (SAR China), Iran, Italy, Korea (Rep.) or Macao (SAR China).
6. Based on the travel advisory restriction issued by United Arab Emirates Government, nationals of United Arab Emirates are not allowed to travel to Thailand.
7. Nationals of Bulgaria, Bhutan, China (People's Rep.), Cyprus, Ethiopia, Fiji, Georgia, India, Kazakhstan, Malta, Mexico, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Romania, Saudi Arabia, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu and passengers with a Chinese Taipei (on the cover: Republic of China Taiwan) passport can no longer obtain a visa on arrival.
8. Nationals of Italy are no longer visa exempt.

Ofcourse I read it before sent it to someone this morning; also about cambodia. On other (Thai)websites I found other detailed info as some passengers have to download an app; fill in all; show to immigration and notify next 14 days about places of live and health...etc.. I think maybe you knew more info like this, but I will keep searching. However now it isn't relevant for me anymore as in this morning...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sjoerd said:

At the moment there's no problem doing a border run and coming back in as long as you spent your time in Thailand before you did the border run. No medical certificate needed.

24 minutes ago, Sjoerd said:

Ofcourse I read it before sent it to someone this morning; also about cambodia. On other (Thai)websites I found other detailed info as some passengers have to download an app; fill in all; show to immigration and notify next 14 days about places of live and health...etc.. I think maybe you knew more info like this, but I will keep searching. However now it isn't relevant for me anymore as in this morning...

The app they're talking about is officially for everybody,but you'll have to see what happens when you're back. No one knows what will happen in the near future. Asking here won't help you.

59 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

At the moment there's no problem doing a border run and coming back in as long as you spent your time in Thailand before you did the border run. No medical certificate needed.

The app they're talking about is officially for everybody,but you'll have to see what happens when you're back. No one knows what will happen in the near future. Asking here won't help you.

I think the app he is talking about is the app for the T8 questionnaire which the AOT wants, so it is only required at the airports and no where else. It is not something that has been brought in for the whole of Thailand and I think that these types of actions are going to cause a lot more confusion.

2 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

I think the app he is talking about is the app for the T8 questionnaire which the AOT wants, so it is only required at the airports and no where else. It is not something that has been brought in for the whole of Thailand and I think that these types of actions are going to cause a lot more confusion.

You don't show anything about the questionnaire at the airport until they ask for it. When I said for everybody,I meant every nationality. 

2 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

You don't show anything about the questionnaire at the airport until they ask for it. When I said for everybody,I meant every nationality. 

that is the app. It is the T8 questionnaire that AOT want you to have on your smartphone and it is only the AOT that want it.

13 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

that is the app. It is the T8 questionnaire that AOT want you to have on your smartphone and it is only the AOT that want it.

And again, if immigration doesn't mention the app or questionnaire, don't show anything until being asked. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Russell17au said:

Yes I mean this T8 app when I asked early in the morning today before I went to chonchom for a border run.

As told already, today In chonchom the temperature was checked, I had to fill in a questionnaire about the last 2 weeks; it was observed in a special office, they made a stamp on the backsite of the arrival/departure card and I could go on to the immigration officer.

• Like 1

Re Cambodia (where I now am) my understanding is that even though the order was people coming from those countries  (USA, France, Italy, Germany &  Spain ) can't enter, in practice Camb IOs are going by passport of nationality and simply not letting in nationals of those countries.  I think it is simply too difficult for them to ascertain people's travel histories especially given that there are in most cases no direct flights and some of the countries on the list don't stamp people out.

Hence Thai IOs not stamping nationals of those countries out...they know Camb won't let them in.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Re Cambodia (where I now am) my understanding is that even though the order was people coming from those countries  (USA, France, Italy, Germany &  Spain ) can't enter, in practice Camb IOs are going by passport of nationality and simply not letting in nationals of those countries.  I think it is simply too difficult for them to ascertain people's travel histories especially given that there are in most cases no direct flights and some of the countries on the list don't stamp people out.

Hence Thai IOs not stamping nationals of those countries out...they know Camb won't let them in.

Makes alot of sense, thanks.

I'm a US citizen living in Bangkok with a 1 year Multi Entry Visa - O. Per immigration I must leave Thailand before mid April and come back in to get another 90 days stamp on my Passport upon entry.

What are the best/easiest options now for a border crossing? I'm OK with flights out and in as well. Just worried about not being able to enter another country and re-entry to Thailand.

8 minutes ago, phungo said:

I'm a US citizen living in Bangkok with a 1 year Multi Entry Visa - O. Per immigration I must leave Thailand before mid April and come back in to get another 90 days stamp on my Passport upon entry.

What are the best/easiest options now for a border crossing? I'm OK with flights out and in as well. Just worried about not being able to enter another country and re-entry to Thailand.

Hi, I realize my response is not an answer to your question re best/easiest border crossings in current situation. 

= = = = =

I presume you have a 1-year MultipleEntry Non Imm O - marriage Visa which is valid till ????, and that your present 90-day permission to stay expires mid April.

So you can either

- do a border-run before mid April, which will provide you once again with a 90-day permission to stay,

- apply for a 60-day extension of stay at your local IO for reason of visiting your thai wife (no need for financials to be proven).

You can also apply for a 1-year extension of stay, but that requires that you have 400,000 THB on your thai bank-account already seasoned for 2 months before applying for that 1-year extension.

I attach UbonJoe's list which covers the full set of requirements for such 1-year extension application.

1122881058_MarriageExtensionRequirements2.pdf 41.52 kB · 2 downloads

13 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Hi, I realize my response is not an answer to your question re best/easiest border crossings in current situation. 

= = = = =

I presume you have a 1-year MultipleEntry Non Imm O - marriage Visa which is valid till ????, and that your present 90-day permission to stay expires mid April.

So you can either

- do a border-run before mid April, which will provide you once again with a 90-day permission to stay,

- apply for a 60-day extension of stay at your local IO for reason of visiting your thai wife (no need for financials to be proven).

You can also apply for a 1-year extension of stay, but that requires that you have 400,000 THB on your thai bank-account already seasoned for 2 months before applying for that 1-year extension.

I attach UbonJoe's list which covers the full set of requirements for such 1-year extension application.

1122881058_MarriageExtensionRequirements2.pdf 41.52 kB · 2 downloads

Im in i similar situation, but if there are no borders to run too mid April, then its straight for a 2 month extention, thus in effect 'losing' 3 month (one entry). Then what happens after your 2 month extension if your visa has expired?,,,,,its easy to do another 'run' , but not if your visa has expired

Edited by PST

16 minutes ago, PST said:

Im in i similar situation, but if there are no borders to run too mid April, then its straight for a 2 month extention, thus in effect 'losing' 3 month (one entry). Then what happens after your 2 month extension if your visa has expired?,,,,,its easy to do another 'run' , but not if your visa has expired

Hi PST,

You do not lose 3 months (one entry) when you extend your 1-year ME Non Imm O - marriage Visa with 60 days at your local IO. 

Your Visa is valid for 1 year, but it requires you to either:

- do a border run at the end of every 90-day permission to stay you get on re-entry;

- apply for a 60 day extension of stay at your local IO (costs 1.900 THB and no financials to be proven);

- apply for a 1-year extension of stay (costs 1.900 THB but needs 400K seasoned for at least two months before applying for that extension, as well as the other requirements - see my earlier post).

So if you do the border-run every 90-days you will have to make 5 border-runs to squeeze 15 months out of your Visa.

If you apply for the 60-day extension at the end of every 90-days, you will only need to do a border-run every 5 months (90+60 days).  

When you do not live close to the border, extending every 90 day permission to stay with a 60 day extension of stay (for reason of visiting your wife) is in most cases the most convenient option.

Note: You can only do one 60-day extension per 90-day permission to stay.  But at the end of the 150 days you get like this, you will either need to do a border-run again OR apply for the 1-year extension of stay.  

5 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Hi PST,

You do not lose 3 months (one entry) when you extend your 1-year ME Non Imm O - marriage Visa with 60 days at your local IO. 

Your Visa is valid for 1 year, but it requires you to either:

- do a border run at the end of every 90-day permission to stay you get on re-entry;

- apply for a 60 day extension of stay at your local IO (costs 1.900 THB and no financials to be proven);

- apply for a 1-year extension of stay (costs 1.900 THB but needs 400K seasoned for at least two months before applying for that extension, as well as the other requirements - see my earlier post).

So if you do the border-run every 90-days you will have to make 5 border-runs to squeeze 15 months out of your Visa.

If you apply for the 60-day extension at the end of every 90-days, you will only need to do a border-run every 5 months (90+60 days).  

When you do not live close to the border, extending every 90 day permission to stay with a 60 day extension of stay (for reason of visiting your wife) is in most cases the most convenient option.

Note: You can only do one 60-day extension per 90-day permission to stay.  But at the end of the 150 days you get like this, you will either need to do a border-run again OR apply for the 1-year extension of stay.  

Thanks, im aware of all that. My current NON O ME expires on 1st May, my current permission to stay ends on April 25th, so if i cant leave to a border before then, then i have no choice but to extend by 60 days, and obviously at the end of that 60 days, my visa will have expired. I understand that if i still had several entries available, i clould then make another run to gain 90 days. So in effect, i could 'lose' 3 months if i am extending by 60 days in those circumstances

Edited by PST