Information from the German embassy

9 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Helpful and caring as always.

What should they do? Paying for the trip back for the tourists they are still arriving? The problem is wellknown since weeks. Who thinks who still wanted to come to Thailand has to find a solution for himself.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Afaik currently only the Italian embassy is issuing such a letter.

I spent 2 weeks on this nonsense. Chinese, South Korea, and Italy issue without fuss- a fill in the blanks form letter that Thai immigration is accepting multiple months in a row.

The worthless US Embassy told me US official policy is to direct US citizens to the Chinese Embassy to get a letter from them!!!! I'm soooo  not kidding. To quote 2 US citizen embassy government servants: "we got out of the letter issuing businea a while ago". Glib and unhelpful af. 

Thai immigration was servicing ~1,000 Chinese /day still as of my 6 1/2 hour wait Friday the 13th. This with China lifting a lot of their travel restrictions. 

• Haha 1

Very  sad. Yet  such  " Diplomatic " Staff  would  be  ferried home in an instant should some need  arose.

Given the often quoted analogy of this  being  like a global war effort you would think that it would be sensible and practical  for  agencies  such as  Embassies  to   assist people to  stay under cover wherever they are rather  than risk exposing themselves  in  global movement and  becoming  unwilling  unwitting  carriers of yet another  invisible potential UXB !

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jackdd said:

It is not really relevant to people who don't speak German, but to conform with the forum rules here my translation:
The German embassy does not issue certificates to extend visas, contrary to what has been said on social media.
If the crises continues long term the possibilities of the embassy to help or protect affected persons will be very limited.
Currently there are no plans to repatriate German citizens. If in the future they should do this, the persons will be liable to pay the costs.

It is the policy of all embassies. Why should they help somebody knowing a global pandemic is under way travel to any places unnecessarily (tourism is unnecessay travel)? They should stay put in their home country and pressure their leaders not to to cheat, lie, or obfuscate the issue and work on containment. 

• Sad 3

7 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

But for now even more information:

German Embassy closed for general public from tomorrow March 18th until further notice.

In the paragraph following the text referred to by KhunBENQ, the website of the German embassy says, in German and Thai, that in cases of unavoidable necessity the embassy should be contacted by email [email protected] or phone +66-2-287 9123.

7 hours ago, Maestro said:

In the paragraph following the text referred to by KhunBENQ, the website of the German embassy says, in German and Thai, that in cases of unavoidable necessity the embassy should be contacted by email [email protected] or phone +66-2-287 9123.

The ambassador also makes clear that it is still possible to leave Thailand for Germany by air.

That's in contrast to some countries where Germans are trapped.

Foreign ministry plans to spend 50 million Euro for evacuation with chartered Lufthansa planes.

(plenty available :dry:)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Foreign ministry plans to spend 50 million Euro for evacuation with chartered Lufthansa planes.

Yes, apparently with reimbursement of this 50 million in mind per this quote from the OP:

Currently there are no plans to repatriate German citizens. If in the future they should do this, the persons will be liable to pay the costs.

But, not sure how "currently no plans" coordinates with "plans for....chartered Lufthansa planes."....?

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, JimGant said:

But, not sure how "currently no plans" coordinates with "plans for....chartered Lufthansa planes."....?

They don't have plans for people in Thailand, but they might have plans for people in outher countries.

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

They don't have plans for people in Thailand, but they might have plans for people in outher countries.

Morocco, Dominican Republic, Philippines, Egypt, Maldives, Malta and Argentina.

Maybe more.

"some countries" as I wrote.

First plane on the way to Manila.

30 to 40 flights estimated in total.

(from dpa, German news agency)

Edited by KhunBENQ

23 minutes ago, jackdd said:

What's the point in sending a plane there? One way tickets Manila - Frankfurt are a bit pricey at about 500 Euro, but available every day.

I read it to mean that plans have been made to ready to implemented if and when it becomes necessary, eg if no more commercial flights out the the Philippines should be available. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

4 hours ago, jackdd said:

What's the point in sending a plane there? One way tickets Manila - Frankfurt are a bit pricey at about 500 Euro, but available every day.

I am busy enough to follow what happens in Thailand and not into details about the Philippines.

I only saw some headlines like state of calamity, Manila lockdown (no in/out), islands locked down, no ferries etc. Military and police controlling Manila.

Even you have a flight from Manila it seems difficult or impossible to get there.

It all sounds much worse than Thailand/Bangkok.

Guess German ministry will have to do "arrangements" to get their people to the flight(s).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jackdd said:

Browse this and rethink:

https://www.google.com/search?q=stuck+in+the+philippines+virus

Month long lock-down of Manila, whole island of Luzon under quarantine...

Edited by KhunBENQ

On 3/18/2020 at 3:39 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Morocco, Dominican Republic, Philippines, Egypt, Maldives, Malta and Argentina.

Maybe more.

"some countries" as I wrote.

First plane on the way to Manila.

30 to 40 flights estimated in total.

(from dpa, German news agency)

So they're telling us they have no plans to get people out of Thailand but they are running massive media reports about how they've flown people out of the Canaries, Egypt etc...

One would think that the further away the more need for Lufthansa to get the people out.

Now the embassy is closed, fantastically helpful. Taxpayer money at work. Or not.