Shut Thailand down for 21 days, doctor advises

webfact

maybe it's best to close all airports, borders, close as much as possible.  no overstays in the world (less panic), and simply take a month off.  there will be people working to get food on shelves, hospitals, the necessities... 

something like this will happen.  you might still get it next year, but then it won't stress the system as much.  you can die today or next year, but if 1000 die at once it hurts the country (any country).  

of all my strange life scenarios, this was not one of them.  

in a few years, we will all have shots.  and we will likely think of the Wuhan virus for the rest of our life.  

on a comical note:  I wish athletes were immune, i do miss sports

33 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

It will be most interesting to see what Thailand's immigration department is going to do when visas or extensions of stay expire of potentially tens of thousands of foreigners who cannot get home if there is a complete shut-down.

Will they all be rounded up and crammed in those famously hygienic immigration detention center mass cells? And will they all be fleeced for "overstay"? 

The virus is probably already in the Immigration jail at Soi Suan Plu.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The junta must be loving this. They can delay the student protest indefinitely and avoid a new Hong Kong.

That said, yes it's needed, but education in forms of posters in every soi corner is needed even more. Act now and educate. Information is best antidote for panic.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes. Shut it down. Should have happened several weeks ago. 

..... can not use that word DPM,  was upset when some reporter used the "shutdown" word on a news report... better say it's halted/not available/closed and many more 555

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The doctor in charge of Chulalongkorn University’s Information Centre for Emerging Infectious Diseases believes all public activity in Thailand should be shut down for 21 days to halt the spread of Covid-19.

the doctor will be in trouble with DPM because he used the incorrect word.....

Covid-19: "Bangkok is not shutdown" says DPM as he gives language lesson

2 minutes ago, bestie said:

I'm scared is that ok? 

scared it's ok, the majority here, they keep joking about it but, they also are.... not scared would not be ok, that would meant not facing reality.....reports/seeing what's happening all around the word, sure it's scary

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bestie said:

I'm scared is that ok? 

Is scared a form of fear, is fear contagious, can contagion spread, does commonsense go out the window, if the answer is yes to any of these questions no wonder you are scared, so am I now! Onward and Upwards - Eyes Open - No fear! ????

• Like 2

Selfish I know, but please hold off on a France style lock down scenario for a week or so. My original flight home was cancelled by my airline and I've only just secured another leaving in just over a week. Many many visitors like me won't have freezers to stock up for a shutdown, most won't even have a kitchen. Most will just have a basic bedroom with shower and a tiny fridge. Yes I suppose I could get by on instant noodles and cornflakes, but I'd rather not during the last week of what will highly likely be my last visit to Thailand after having visited here since the late 1990s. It is not because of this virus, it is being done with prices  approaching that of Western Europe, and smaller portions for it than ever before, at that. I'd rather not my last memory of years of visits to this country, eating spicy instant noodles in my room. 

6 minutes ago, Lissos said:

Selfish I know, but please hold off on a France style lock down scenario for a week or so. My original flight home was cancelled by my airline and I've only just secured another leaving in just over a week. Many many visitors like me won't have freezers to stock up for a shutdown, most won't even have a kitchen. Most will just have a basic bedroom with shower and a tiny fridge. Yes I suppose I could get by on instant noodles and cornflakes, but I'd rather not during the last week of what will highly likely be my last visit to Thailand after having visited here since the late 1990s. It is not because of this virus, it is being done with prices  approaching that of Western Europe, and smaller portions for it than ever before, at that. I'd rather not my last memory of years of visits to this country, eating spicy instant noodles in my room. 

Well, if today is anything to go by, there seems to be just as many planes travelling in and out of CNX as normal. Maybe a few reductions and probably lesser crowds, but it seems a lockdown of all services including food supplies could be a couple of weeks off, IMO.

So you should be okay. 

• Thanks 1

"Will they all be rounded up and crammed in those famously hygienic immigration detention center mass cells? And will they all be fleeced for "overstay"? "

My money is on yet another opportunity to smooth out visa problems in exchange for a generous donation...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, time2093 said:

In typical Thai fashion which this country always learn the hard way for some reason and is one step behind the world taken drastic measures to combat this virus. It will eventually shut down and lock down the country, closing all boarders and not letting anyone in or out of the country just like in China and most of Europe.

They are just waiting until they get those infections and death numbers before they pull the plug and do so.

And then they will do it extra good, knee-jerk reactions...which will cause loads of new problems.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Sounds like you are incapable of just buying enough food for 3 weeks.

2x packs of mama noodles

10x packs of spaghetti and pesto plus parmesan.

There, sorted that for you. 

thomas, I don't know if Snuller is a prepper or not. Not to say that mama noodles won't run out, but I doubt the thais will clean out the spaghetti and parmesan cheese... 

So what if the gas stations start closing? Not everyone stocks up 50 gallons of drinking water now do they? Think all will go well if the stores start running out of food just because YOU have enough stored up? Fn ignorant of you to be frank - sounds like you'll be happy sitting back and chuckling while others are in tough times.