Lucky we live in Chiang Rai!

villagefarang

We took advantage of a break in the weather and went for a 12 km hike around the dam today.  There was a nice breeze which made the temperature bearable and the air quality somewhat breathable.  I am pleasantly exhausted now and feeling much better about life in isolation.  There was even a splash of color in the form of a flowering tree and if you looked straight up there were patches of pale blue and visible clouds. 

1375196820_color-1.thumb.jpeg.c2bc99398198e5826c9a86500b794059.jpeg

• Like 2

On 3/18/2020 at 9:06 PM, villagefarang said:

I find posting on TVF takes very little time and can be done from almost anywhere.  Most of the people I know have completely given up on TVF, surrendering to the irksome negative voices.  I feel an obligation to represent the happy people who are often drowned out by the more vocal unhappy people.  I have voluntarily stepped away from the forum in the past, for up to a year, but found life really didn't change all that much.  

I don't see why it should be OK to post negative comments but verboten to post anything positive.  This forum is a very small piece of my life and in a way keeps me grounded by exposing me to a different demographic than I encounter in my daily life.  I have no difficulty enjoying my life and posting here does not limit my enjoyment one bit, but thanks for the concern for my wellbeing.????

Thailand is not a Utopia, far from it.

The negative comments are more valued in learning, than the positive comments.

If you can prepare for the worst, you will do ok.

However, for those that approach Thailand as perfect? They will be in for a big shock.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/29/2020 at 10:39 PM, villagefarang said:

No, I mean using HEPA filters indoors, wearing a mask when outside, limiting physical exertion when the air quality is bad, exercising in the house instead of outdoors.

As I have said before, I am more worried about living too long and drifting into dementia.  I take full responsibility for my choices in life and that includes living where I live.????

Honestly, what joy can there be living anywhere in the world where you have to wear a mask outside? 

HEPA filters indoors are nothing more than a band-aid.

You are there because you are there.

It is by no means perfect and air pollution can do serious damage when you are older.

Anytime you downplay health hazards, over something as exciting as taking a walk?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villagefarang said:

We just got pounded by torrential wind and rain. ????????️

Power went out during the storm and I am guessing it will take them a while to make repairs. Fortunately we charged our backup lights yesterday. 

Our electrical supply is usually very dependable but I am sure lines were downed by the wind. 

Edited by villagefarang
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, villagefarang said:

Masks can be cool as well as necessary.  ????

0BC6B8EE-B665-481E-AD62-F0613E4A46DA.thumb.jpeg.e4cbac530de92e14468cfb286431bfd6.jpeg

No that is not cool!

The fact the masks needs directions which side of the face it goes on is not cool.

Bet that is great when you are outside during the peak of the heat and all your sweat and germs are soaking through.

No, thanks. No, no and no.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It was supposed to rain here in Chiang Dao tonight for the 1st time this year and I was getting excited . . . where did the thunderstorm go ???

Over 4 months without a drop of rain. Only Corona helped to keep farmers away from setting up fire. 

10 hours ago, whiro said:

It was supposed to rain here in Chiang Dao tonight for the 1st time this year and I was getting excited . . . where did the thunderstorm go ???

Over 4 months without a drop of rain. Only Corona helped to keep farmers away from setting up fire. 

I feel for you as we were in the same situation until last night.  We even had a second rain last night around 5am so things are much more pleasant this morning.  It took them a little over 6 hours to get the electricity back on last night but everything is cleaned up and working again.????

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

What a great life u have, was this your dream growing up? 

Masks , hepa filters, exercising indoors.  

Of course your happy in chang rai, no need to try to convince us.

were all sold. 

Me thinks it is more about convincing himself (re-inforcing).

I once knew a man that was as happy as anyone I ever met - he was a car park attendent. But he was happy and cheerful every single day - for years - always.  We often chatted briefly as I gave him $2 and then later $5 to park for the day, as I went to my miserable office full of miserable people. Eventually I 'escaped' that hell hole and got a job where I was travelling most days - I loved it.  One day I was talking to someone that was still in that office many years later (sad). Apparently that car park attendent was a scam - the carpark was free !!  He was there so long that it was just assumed he was working for the Council.  Then one day he dissapeared and people started asking questions - the Council never heard of him ????  He was probably on the Govt dole (unemplyment money) and he was also getting the carpark money for himself - they reckoned he must have 'retired' and taken off - maybe he is one of you in Thailand ??  They reckoned he probably tried it for one day and people just paid up - so he kept it going for years - he had a uniform and everything.  He never took a holiday except for public holidays.  5 days a week - $500+ dollars a day - over $2500 a week - over $100K a year when the average salary was about $25K. There was a few people who were still there from when the building was first built - about 15 years !!  He must have made almost $2 million from that scam - and that was in the 80s and 90s - plus of course the Govt dole money.  No wonder he was so happy.  Happiness is like the Universe - it is all relative.

(apologies to whoever first wrote that story)  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, sceadugenga said:

The black out must have been right across the province, we were out for about 6 hours.

We had a second outage around 5am which I suspect was local, as it lasted for less than an hour.  The first thing I checked this morning was my internet and I was relieved to find everything up to speed. ????

• Like 1

12 hours ago, whiro said:

We got good storm at 0100 this morning near Phayao. Heavy rain for 30 minutes. We had no wind or electric outage. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

No that is not cool!

The fact the masks needs directions which side of the face it goes on is not cool.

Bet that is great when you are outside during the peak of the heat and all your sweat and germs are soaking through.

No, thanks. No, no and no.

he was wanting you to look at his house  ????????  .   he's got a great life, you know ?

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, ripstanley said:

We got good storm at 0100 this morning near Phayao. Heavy rain for 30 minutes. We had no wind or electric outage. 

11 minutes ago, sceadugenga said:

No rain here, a couple of spits when the storm came through about 6pm but the main cloud was just to the north.

It was so intense here in Phayamengrai I was hoping everyone got some but as usual it only hit certain areas.  The yard is a real mess today but it was worth it.????

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

However, for those that approach Thailand as perfect? They will be in for a big shock.

Those people think they walk on water.

2 hours ago, sceadugenga said:

The black out must have been right across the province, we were out for about 6 hours.

Trees fell.down near the white temple and took.out a power pole

3 hours ago, villagefarang said:

It was so intense here in Phayamengrai I was hoping everyone got some but as usual it only hit certain areas.  The yard is a real mess today but it was worth it.????

Hi VF here in Ban Tri Keaw or the more familiar village of Vien Durm. We got the same storm and a fair bit of rain and like you the first big one with a wicked wind and the second far less wind but still some more rain. On my bike ride this morning I saw a lot of tree branches down and the occasional tree that had already been cut up and hauled to the road side. And like you blue sky above for a while at least  AQI showing 88 the best I have seen in a long time.  And I can see the surrounding hills that have been invisible for at least a month had a wonderful sleep in the coolness last night lovely looking forward to the coming rains. But the taste of fresher air was wonderful

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

According to one member , it is for the haves , and not the have nots

Talking about the power of positive thinking-has anyone heard from Geronimo the chap who hosted last years POTY contest?

He seems to be an excellent poster-but appears to have gone a little quiet of late.

(My apologies for going a little off topic)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Talking about the power of positive thinking-has anyone heard from Geronimo the chap who hosted last years POTY contest?

He seems to be an excellent poster-but appears to have gone a little quiet of late.

(My apologies for going a little off topic)

If you got forum/members and enter the name/ click that and go to his profile, you can see he was last on the forum 23hrs ago . ????

posted here: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1