Do you know anyone?

Susco

Yes, Susco.  A friend who taught all 3 of my kids in the Sacramento, California Area of the US just passed away yesterday from COVID-19. Confirmed and listed as one of the 100 deaths related to this virus.  It was a sad day today for me after being called and notified of her death.  She was a retired teacher who still taught as a substitute and was very much loved by her students.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Susco said:

Sorry to hear that Ryan.

You knew one of the 100 deaths in the US, but there are 200.000 officially confirmed infections in the world, why so little are known by us?

So let the answers flow members.

Thank you.  Her family and friends are all in shock.  The Church she attended, Faith Presbyterian, also has 5 members who have tested positive, and others who are symptomatic.  Sacramento is not very large in general terms, but is the Capitol of California.  It is where I was headquartered when I worked for the State of Ca. before retiring in 2018.

Neither a case in Thailand I'm personally aware of but now one in Germany.

All I know is that one person in my city in Germany has died a few days ago.

But I didn't know the victim.

It's a German city in lower Franconia that unfortunately belongs to Bavaria.

It's got a population of about 90,000 people.

Edited by Isaanbiker

28 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yes, Susco.  A friend who taught all 3 of my kids in the Sacramento, California Area of the US just passed away yesterday from COVID-19. Confirmed and listed as one of the 100 deaths related to this virus.  It was a sad day today for me after being called and notified of her death.  She was a retired teacher who still taught as a substitute and was very much loved by her students.

I'm very sorry to hear that.

Losing a friend is something which is hard to deal with. I know. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think I might have it. Not sure, but haven't been close to anyone for 6 days now just in case. Slight shortness of breath and a little tightness in chest. Will continue to isolate and if necessary and I need to go out, will try to stay clear of people. I live in the sticks, so it's actually not that difficult. ????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thequietman said:

I think I might have it. Not sure, but haven't been close to anyone for 6 days now just in case. Slight shortness of breath and a little tightness in chest. Will continue to isolate and if necessary and I need to go out, will try to stay clear of people. I live in the sticks, so it's actually not that difficult. ????

So you think that the virus goes away by simply isolating?

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, thequietman said:

Depending where you are, it could be the effect of air pollution. People are really suffering in the north. 

I have asthma (not severe) and from time to time in BKK I find breathing a bit difficult. This invariably coincides with high air pollution levels.  

• Like 1

Just now, GarryP said:

Depending where you are, it could be the effect of air pollution. People are really suffering in the north. 

I have asthma (not severe) and from time to time in BKK I find breathing a bit difficult. This invariably coincides with high air pollution levels.  

No high temperature and no cough. It came on after a HIIT workout. Air isn't great here, but I don't think it's that. Experiencing slight tightness in chest and slight wheeze. Will stay home just in case.

32 minutes ago, Susco said:

there are 200.000 officially confirmed infections in the world, why so little are known by us?

If those 200.000 had only 10 friends, that would mean 2 million people would know at least one of them.

"...why so little are known by us?"

Could be because there aren't anywhere near as many active Thaivisa readers as you (so wildly) imagine!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, misterjames said:

To answer the question from the op I'm in an online group of a 1000 people and some of our members are starting to report being ill.

Reporting being ill and be a confirmed covid-19 infection are a world apart from each other

• Like 2

I know one person who was in a pub with someone who turned out to be infected. Now she is at home for 14 days for self quarantine. She emailed me Monday. 

Of course, there are people we all 'know' as many famous people have tested positive such as Tom Hanks and some NBA players as well as more and more popping up in the news everyday.

9 minutes ago, Susco said:

Reporting being ill and be a confirmed covid-19 infection are a world apart from each other

I will update if any end up being confirmed.

That being said you won't get a true idea of how many people have it because only those that end up needing hospital treatment will be confirmed and even then the ministry of health would much rather just write pneumonia as the cause of death.

Edited by misterjames
  • Sad 1