Virtual US Phone Number for Short Code SMS

AAArdvark

I need to be able to get occasional short code sms (verification codes) from a US phone number.  Since it is only occasional, I don't want to spend a lot.  Searching Google for services gives quite a few results.  However, most of them are for businesses sending bulk sms or they are for developers.  I currently use Google Voice but that is not always successful.

Can anyone recommend such a service.

I use TextNow.    It is FREE and I've verified that it works with Bank of America and also with State Department Federal Credit Union.  To keep it active you need to show activity periodically.  I forget the details of how frequently.  They will send you an e-mail to remind you that your number will expire in a few days if not active.  You can use it through a web site.  I also have iPhone and Mac dedicated applications for it.  It only takes a few minutes to set it up.

11 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

I use TextNow.    It is FREE and I've verified that it works with Bank of America and also with State Department Federal Credit Union.  To keep it active you need to show activity periodically.  I forget the details of how frequently.  They will send you an e-mail to remind you that your number will expire in a few days if not active.  You can use it through a web site.  I also have iPhone and Mac dedicated applications for it.  It only takes a few minutes to set it up.

It looked promising but I could not login.  Tried from the Android app and it kicked me out because I "violated the terms of service".  Not very specific but probably detected that I was not in the us.

Were you using cellular data or WiFi?  Try to turn off cellular data to force the TextNow app to connect using WiFi and also turn off location services (that's what it's called on IOS).

2 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

Why can''t you use Google Voice ?

I don't have roaming on my US cell plan so Google Voice and it's text option has worked for me to receive US Text messages and OTOP's from US banks

Google Voice works for me 99% of the time.  I have a google account tied to GV.  When I set it up, I gave a phone number for recovery.  Now, if I try to change my google account password, it will default to a now non-existent phone number to send the SMS.

Anyway, I sound Digtone which worked.   But it did not solve my problem, changing my password still attempts to use the bad number.  I cannot find out how to change it even though I added the Digntone number. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

Google Voice works for me 99% of the time.  I have a google account tied to GV.  When I set it up, I gave a phone number for recovery.  Now, if I try to change my google account password, it will default to a now non-existent phone number to send the SMS.

Anyway, I sound Digtone which worked.   But it did not solve my problem, changing my password still attempts to use the bad number.  I cannot find out how to change it even though I added the Digntone number. 

The only issue I have with Google Voice (GV) is that about every 2 years I need to re-verify my account using an actual USA phone number.  Many US expats living in Thailand do not have access to a US phone number for that process.  I am lucky because GV will accept my Ooma telephone number for verification, so we should be OK even after our move to Chiang Mai.

Try to sign up with TextNow using a desktop web browser and an email account instead of on your phone.

8 hours ago, clokwise said:

FWIW, Google Voice stopped supporting short code SMS about 1 year ago. Normal SMS still work fine - shortcode SMS is an entirely different thing. You can google to find a more detailed explanation.

I think everyone assumed OP just needed to receive ordinary SMS for two-factor authentication.  Is that what you need AAArdvark?

5 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

I think everyone assumed OP just needed to receive ordinary SMS for two-factor authentication

Probably because he said this !

On 3/19/2020 at 9:11 AM, AAArdvark said:

I need to be able to get occasional short code sms (verification codes) from a US phone number.

On 3/20/2020 at 3:46 AM, gamb00ler said:

The only issue I have with Google Voice (GV) is that about every 2 years I need to re-verify my account using an actual USA phone number.  Many US expats living in Thailand do not have access to a US phone number for that process.  I am lucky because GV will accept my Ooma telephone number for verification, so we should be OK even after our move to Chiang Mai.

Try to sign up with TextNow using a desktop web browser and an email account instead of on your phone.

I am surprised on both accounts.  I have had GV for probably 7 or 8 years and never had to re-verify.  I have an Ooma phone, but Google accepted only landline and cell numbers at the time for GV verification, not VOIP.

2 hours ago, cmarshall said:

I am surprised on both accounts.  I have had GV for probably 7 or 8 years and never had to re-verify.  I have an Ooma phone, but Google accepted only landline and cell numbers at the time for GV verification, not VOIP.

I also have my cell number linked to my GV account, but I did the re-verify via my Ooma # during an automated voice call.  It's been so long I can't remember what year I signed up.  I just checked Wikipedia...GV started Mar '09.  My GV billing history goes back to Jun '10.  Prior to that, GV was through invite only.

Edited by gamb00ler

• 3 weeks later...

I have been using a company called Line2 for about 12 years.  It is an app that works on android, iOS, and even in desktop for windows and NAC.  it is paid, about $10 per month.  This allows texting, receiving phone calls and making phone calls with a U.S phone number.  you will need a credit card or debit card from the U.S and google and Apple U.S accounts to get past the geo locations. My Line2 works flawless for getting text from my U.S bank, and short digits text.   This is best reliable solution 

What entity is sending the SMS? That is key to finding a solution. Then just Google that entity and "SMS" "OTP" for potential solutions.

Google Voice now seems to work reliably for previously challenging applications like Bank of America, and U.S. Gov't apps which I use.

Curious why GV seems to work for you, but not 100%.

Talkatone, free, works (IME) in every single SMS/OTP application encountered to date. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.talkatone.android&hl=en

It's got ads, and it needs to be used to maintain it; I send SMSes back and forth betwen GV to keep it active.

You may need to use a VPN to sign up, or ask someone in the U.S. to sign up for you.

I've also had an iffy experience, especially with banks, getting SMS messages on Google Voice. As well, there have been times when the SMS doesn't come through for an hour, by which time it's useless.

Yes, GV is free so who's complaining. I'm not. Just pointing out you may have problems with it.

Never have had to re-confirm the number I initially used to set up GV voice, though.

I will add to the group that has never had a problem getting US based banks and financial institutions to send one time passwords using Google Voice 

The key of course, is making sure that your Google Voice number is in your profile.  They all universally appear to require that the number be in your profile before they will use it 

I am missing something?

You're making the obvious beyond obvious point that unless you first register your Google Voice number with your bank, you can't possibly receive SMS messages on your GV number from your bank?

Edited by taxout

59 minutes ago, taxout said:

I am missing something?

You're making the obvious beyond obvious point that unless you first register your Google Voice number with your bank, you can't possibly receive SMS messages on your GV number from your bank?

No, I am saying that if you want to insure that your bank will accept SMS from Google Voice you register that number as your text enabled cell phone number that many banks now require

And many times a bank or financial institution will ask for a text number to complete a banking function and if you give them one that is already in your profile it will go a lot easier, but you might just be lucky and they will send it to whichever number you give them at that time.  I personally don't like to depend upon luck, proper prior planning prevents <deleted> poor performance