Get out of Dodge...

I am UK citizen with a Thai wife of 3 years. She has visited UK 4 times with no issues with visas, stays etc. I have a business here but the way things are going, not sure how much longer it will stay open and I am not sure how welcome us foreigners are going to be if/when the s**t hits the proverbial. So any latest info on the following would be helpful in looking at plan B , C  etc.:

How quick is it to get the standard visitor visa to the UK at the moments? Are they still operating normally at Trendy? Any tips on which service to speed things up or minimize exposure to virus?

Normally, we go for 2 3 weeks. This time it would be 2-3 months I would imagine. Then what is going to happen if it is turmoil here? I suppose my wife can stay for the 6 months which is usually granted in the visa if the situation was not normal.

Due to the rush, no time to prepare my dog for quarantine? Any tips there about getting it in the UK. Seems an almost impossible task but he is part of the family ????

The other thing is related to air tickets. Which airlines are still flying to UK. Direct would definitely be preferable?

Appreciate any tips and I understand the situation is changing all the time but I think it is prudent to try to have as many options available at this troubled time

Asians are also being attacked in the UK, so not sure what you're saying...it could be as dangerous for your wife to be heading to the UK as for you to remain in Thailand. Also, what makes you think they're going to issue her a visa? Aren't foreigners banned from entering the UK right now?

...the SHTF is already happening...the targets won't be the scant few foreigners but the government. We aren't shutting down Thailand. Though with that being said, the government hasn't completely shut down the country either, just a long list of businesses.

I would wait it out here for 2-3 months and then see what happens. Chances are there will be a gradual recovery after that. Right now, every country on Earth is being affected by this...it's silly and naive to think you'll escape trouble by heading back to the UK, especially if you have a business here.

Try not to panic. I suspect that for the next 30 days, anything but a national returning home will be nigh impossible. And it may turn out that you decide that staying in Thailand is the better choice. Take all of the recommended precautions, enjoy every day with your wife and your dog. Then take a another look in 30 days.

10 minutes ago, timendres said:

Try not to panic. I suspect that for the next 30 days, anything but a national returning home will be nigh impossible. And it may turn out that you decide that staying in Thailand is the better choice. Take all of the recommended precautions, enjoy every day with your wife and your dog. Then take a another look in 30 days.

I agree with your post. I think the OP is panicking and not thinking this through rationally. Believe me, I've been worried about possible anti-foreigner rhetoric but fortunately, haven't experienced any. The best strategy is to stay put here for a little while. British Airways international flights will reportedly cease from March 29 onward, for who knows how long (probably at least 2-3 months). THAI would thus be the sole carrier serving the UK, probably on a reduced schedule, from that time forward.

Archived