'How did things end up like this?' America's newly unemployed grapple with coronavirus fallout

webfact

12 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

Far right media, far left media, same corporate interests that just happened to identify a group of people they could peddle <deleted> to to sell ads to.  While everybody's fighting with each other the looting of the Treasury continues unabated and has made for a very unresiliant society.

Savings is a fairly modern middle class boomer idea. For most of history the majority lived hand to mouth and died if anything went wrong. 

It's interesting that boomers think saving, pensions, investments, welfare are the norm, but they're really a brief blip in an unusual period of prosperity in the history of man, probably never to be repeated. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DoctorG said:

People who do not understand tax often make this mistake. Just because you got a smaller return does not mean that you paid more tax.

I would really be surprised if you actually paid more tax. Instead of looking at the return amount you need to compare how much tax you actually paid year on year, if the income was comparable. 

Actually, the Trump tax increase hurt quite a few of us because of the SALT cap.  If you live in an area with high state and local property taxes and have mostly W2 income that can't be creatively shifted around, you probably paid more taxes.  There were some games done with withholding that obfuscated this somewhat, but total Federal taxes paid as a percentage of W2 income was higher for me and many with whom I work.

57 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

Shouldn't the poorest people be getting the most money? I don't understand the logic of this Bill.

It depends. If you understand the concept of Marginal Propensity to Consume, then yes. If you don't, then not so much.

1 minute ago, bristolboy said:

It depends. If you understand the concept of Marginal Propensity to Consume, then yes. If you don't, then not so much.

I do understand it and also their marginal propensity to have much in the way of savings set aside for a prolonged public health emergency. I also understand that what is being proposed is terribly regressive. Looks like I get squat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bristolboy said:

Here’s why giving every American $1,200 is a really bad idea

Let’s give the money to the millions of laid-off workers — and in large enough amounts to make a difference

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/03/20/heres-why-giving-every-american-1200-is-really-bad-idea/

If I get a check, I will be handing it to my friend who just lost his job. I don't need it. He does.

5 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

Shouldn't the poorest people be getting the most money? I don't understand the logic of this Bill.

The bill is ignorant and short-sighted. The Federal government should be using this money to assist the States to increase and extend unemployment insurance, thus assisting those most in need.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

I like the obscenely bloated adjectives. Very nice. Hmmmmmmm Lets use it in a sentence!

Hmmmmmm...OK.....

So Doc, hows my ticker?

Well, Yezh, you are pretty healthy for a guy that is obscenely bloated. Do they put a trough in front of you?

I continue to live in hope for the day when you will, in a moment of mental aberration, answer a question of mine.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

The logic is wealthier people will spend on things like iPads, cars etc., thus helping boost the economy. The poorest would only spend it on food, where the profit margin is low. The bottom line.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The logic is wealthier people will spend on things like iPads, cars etc., thus helping boost the economy. The poorest would only spend it on food, where the profit margin is low. The bottom line.

If that's the reasoning behind it,the logic is flawed. The higher your your wealth, the imore likely you are to save any additional sum. The real rationale behind this is purely electoral.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Tug said:

It’s our taxes and it has to be payed for ..........

You pay taxes in USA? Really?

however, this is a nice conspiracy theory. China sacrifie one city, build a couple of emergency hospitals, and then alarms the world about this horrible virus (we do not know how bad it is yet, except Italy is hard hit, but again, Italy is poor, bad health in popultion, and also perfect clima, + more)

China is going to owertrow and brake our economic, and get the free ride to take over. Just think about it, 

I do not believe to much in conspiracy theories, but sometimes you wonder, 

Have a nice day

• Haha 1

Some troll posts have been removed. 

A post in violation of fair use policy has been removed:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

10 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Northern Italy is not poor. And that's where the ravages of Covid have been worse.

Im not going to argue with you if those victims in Italy was poor or not, but 5,8% poverty in Northern Italy, is quite a bit? United states have 12%? 

Found this On google search. 

"One factor in the high death toll so far is the high median age in Italy, which is 47 years, compared to 37 in China and 38 in the U.S. Stated as a percentage of the total population, Italy has more people over the age of 80, 90, or 100 than any other major industrialized country except Japan. With the average age of a COVID-19 victim in Italy over 80, that is a factor, with most of the elderly victims already suffering from serious underlying medical conditions such as cancer, diabetes, or hypertension. "

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2020/03/19/coronavirus-italy-now-has-more-covid-19-deaths-than-china/2873835001/

2 hours ago, bristolboy said:

If that's the reasoning behind it,the logic is flawed. The higher your your wealth, the imore likely you are to save any additional sum. The real rationale behind this is purely electoral.

I'm not arguing the logic is valid, just saying what I think it is.

Not sure i can agree the rationale is electoral, there are more poor people than rich, and they have votes. Although I suppose in America voter turnout is another factor.

9 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'm watching Trump live on TV again today.  He tells us, we're in a "war", but we're going to win. And meanwhile, everything is great!  The federal government response to the CV is great! The federal government is great! The major U.S. companies are great!!!

And then he actually woke up, and saw what's actually going on in America. 

Agreed. I wrote a great speech for him.

"Fellow Americans, although it just started we have lost this war. It looks like we are all going to die, so the best advice for all of you is to just give up all hope and prepare to meet your maker."

Much better.

I rewrote Churchills Speeach to: I have nothing to offer  you except blood, sweat and tears. But we are just so weak and helpless we might as well give up.

I was just listening to Gov Cuomo, who is running the hardest hit area (Democratic of course). Hes acting like a mensch, unlike his partys allies in the Press. And hes saying the same things as Trump. Who would have thought it, folks coming together.

Except on social media of course where anonymity allows hate.

• Confused 2

13 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

"Fellow Americans, although it just started we have lost this war. It looks like we are all going to die, so the best advice for all of you is to just give up all hope and prepare to meet your maker."

The panic is all a bit odd to my thinking.

They are destroying their countries in order to try and protect old people that are a burden on society.

I do wonder why some countries haven't just let the disease run, and kill whom it will.

As an old person I'm OK taking my chances with death.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Agreed. I wrote a great speech for him.

Much better.

I rewrote Churchills Speeach to: I have nothing to offer  you except blood, sweat and tears. But we are just so weak and helpless we might as well give up.

I was just listening to Gov Cuomo, who is running the hardest hit area (Democratic of course). Hes acting like a mensch, unlike his partys allies in the Press. And hes saying the same things as Trump. Who would have thought it, folks coming together.

Except on social media of course where anonymity allows hate.

Huhhh the truth less bs get with the testing stop lying and most important by far just shut the <deleted> up and let the qualified experts do their thing

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

The panic is all a bit odd to my thinking.

They are destroying their countries in order to try and protect old people that are a burden on society.

I do wonder why some countries haven't just let the disease run, and kill whom it will.

Well, thats what many thinks, but do not say, and is it a ok thought, or not? Thats the Q

I feel many Thai people thinks like that, I might be wrong, but I think

3 hours ago, timendres said:

The bill is ignorant and short-sighted. The Federal government should be using this money to assist the States to increase and extend unemployment insurance, thus assisting those most in need.

They're going to have to do that anyway, but it will not apply to everyone. I like the idea pf universal assistance. Why be discriminating in a time of crisis?

On 3/20/2020 at 8:15 AM, Nyezhov said:

You are supposed to say thank you when some one gives you money

More properly the money is partial repayment from the much larger amount taken from you in taxes to fund a burgeoning and already obese government. 

You are also supposed to realize that nothing is free. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I'm not going to vote for an incumbent of any party this year. It's time to put these out of touch bastards out to pasture.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Tug said:

just shut the <deleted> up and let the qualified experts do their thing

Well a lot of us are interested in hearing what OUR President has to say, so maybe you should put him on ignore if he raises such irrational hate in you that you post something about him in every topic (except about Thailand, where I suspect you have never been to)

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Some societies still value the elderly.

You sound like a person who is OK with death because you have not had a good life.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1