Loose meat in Supermarkets and Corona

scubascuba3

Say you pick some meat up in a supermarket that's been coughed over by a Corona person, Assuming you don't touch it, would it be Corona free after cooking? I'm assuming it would be

I haven't bought any loose meat recently for this reason, anyone passing can cough or sneeze over it

Not so sure... Last thing we learn was that it could survive up to 20 seconds of vigorous hand washing, with soap. Give it a month or two and it might have mutated enough to survive up to 20 seconds of intense, flesh-burning heat.

Most of the meat has been frozen before putting out on the open trays. I don't buy as I like to freeze meat at home as can't make trip to supermarket regularly. Refreezing meat not a good policy and supermarket doesn't tell customers about been frozen.

I walked pass a meat area the other day and a customer was coughing directly over trays for a few minutes while handling meat.

No he wasn't a dirty farang.

????????????

37 minutes ago, vogie said:

I only buy frozen meat now, it's so off putting watching the shoppers pawing the meat without gloves on.

Usually i go with the flow and pick the meat but now with Corona it's a risk worth avoiding. Frozen meat is a good idea

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yes cooking will be ok but it's the touching things which I'd have to be very careful to avoid

That isn't limited to meat.

The main thing is not to touch your face after touching things that many strangers have handled, until you have first been able to wash your hands thoroughly or at minimum use hand sanitizer. I don't know about other parts of the country but where I am, all the stores have set out sanitizers at the entrances/exits

i consistently see old woman pick up  meat bare handed look at it and put it back down. many times not buying any thing.

Thailand has a big health problem which will add to the issues going on now.

all you need is one person with the virus and you have a night mare on your hands.

there food sanitation in markets is horrible!!

go to an outdoor market and it is just as bad if not worse.

if there are sanitation laws no one follows or cares.

look at street food vendor, they wash the dishes in the same water all day long.

10 minutes ago, rodknock said:

i consistently see old woman pick up  meat bare handed look at it and put it back down. many times not buying any thing.

Thailand has a big health problem which will add to the issues going on now.

all you need is one person with the virus and you have a night mare on your hands.

there food sanitation in markets is horrible!!

go to an outdoor market and it is just as bad if not worse.

if there are sanitation laws no one follows or cares.

look at street food vendor, they wash the dishes in the same water all day long.

Because of poor sanitation, poor food handling and perparation, I reckon Asians in genral must have a the most robust of immune systems, the poor protected farang get the belly bugs, and gastro. 

In many cases we have overused "bacterial " cleaning methods sold by chemical companies, cleaning our homes within an inch of their existences, children no longer exposed daily to bacteria and viral particles, all the time lessing our systems to adjust to average microbes

Edited by RJRS1301
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/21/2020 at 3:27 AM, rodknock said:

In an upmarket Mall in Bangkok I saw a well healed woman put a finger in one of the dips at a salad bar then suck the finger to determine the taste. She then used the same finger to sample three other dips in the same way.

Amazing but not Unseen Thailand

Never mind the meat, at least you'll cook that at a temperature high enough to kill the virus. There's still several small supermarkets in Pattaya that are selling unpackaged bread that customers pick up themselves. That's unhygienic at the best of times, and it could be lethal now. This morning I saw that Tesco Lotus are packing all their breads, cakes and pastries in plastic, so good for them. But then I noticed that they've still got an open salad bar. I love the salad bar, but they need to seal it off from the customers and have a staff member serve up what customers ask for under hygienic conditions.