What about food shopping or CW for visa extension in a lockdown?

cliveshep

My wife and I stood around for many hours in CW waiting our turn to do the application for 1 yr extension of my Non Imm O based on marriage some 2 weeks ago. Now Under Consideration I have to go back in person on the 7th April.

My question is if these Government people finally make up their minds to actually do something and that something is a drastic total lock-down what about my expiring extension, a question no doubt of interest to hundreds if not thousands of others?

And what is likely to happen about buying food in a lock-down? Does anyone know? 

Are the military likely to lock-down Bangkok?

Posted this in another thread but no answer. 

• Sad 1

The bottom line is that they don't really know what they are doing as a whole and everything changes from one day to the next. Who knows what will happen if the virus tears through Bangkok as it did Woohan.

I'm supposed to go to CW next week but I think the best plan is to get an agent to do everything.

Thai people have no real idea about how quick this thing will get hold and it will all be too little too late.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, cliveshep said:

Posted this in another thread but no answer. 

Probably because nobody knows the answers!!

It's pointless posting questions like this here - we are in the same situation as you - until official announcements are made just carry on as normal

• Like 1

No one really knows, so make sure you have enough dried goods to last you about a month and access to drinking water.

Get some cash too.

No harm in doing it as the dried goods will last.

Couple of flashlights with a supply of batteries wouldn't be a bad idea.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

Probably because nobody knows the answers!!

It's pointless posting questions like this here - we are in the same situation as you - until official announcements are made just carry on as normal

Until said official announcements are rescinded, changed and generally messed about with.

One of these fine days, the official left hand will know what the official right hand is doing.  Not holding my breath though.

This morning my wife told me that the weekly Saturday market for today will be open but after today it will be closed.

True or not true? Anybody's guess is as good as mine.

Will there be a market on Monday afternoon and Wednesday morning? Nobody knows.

Living out here in rural Thailand we have quite a few food cars that go out to the smaller villages. Will they be shut down too? Where will they get their supplies from? If they are shut down as well there will be people literally starving out in rural Thailand.

It seems to me that it is a <deleted> half <deleted> plan if they do which I suppose that is all this government can do.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

It won't happen, obviously, people cannot be banned from buying food for god's sake!  Why your scaremongering?

I'm not scaremongering, don't talk like a fool. Haven't you seen pictures of cities in lock-down in Europe? Absolutely nothing moving. So of course I am seeking opinions, not least because my pension isn't paid for another week and we do not have the option to go shopping now until we get more money - but how could you have known that? You just answered with the first silly comment that came into your head!

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, cliveshep said:
2 hours ago, Just Weird said:

It won't happen, obviously, people cannot be banned from buying food for god's sake!  Why your scaremongering?

I'm not scaremongering, don't talk like a fool. Haven't you seen pictures of cities in lock-down in Europe? Absolutely nothing moving. So of course I am seeking opinions, not least because my pension isn't paid for another week and we do not have the option to go shopping now until we get more money - but how could you have known that? You just answered with the first silly comment that came into your head!

"I'm not scaremongering, don't talk like a fool. Haven't you seen pictures of cities in lock-down in Europe?"

Which cities, anywhere, have closed all food shops and stopped citizens from going out to buy food? 

"You just answered with the first silly comment that came into your head!"

The silly comments aren't mine.

"...we do not have the option to go shopping now until we get more money - but how could you have known that?"

Exactly, how could anyone have known that?!   Doesn't alter the fact that no government is going to prevent it's citizens from buying food!

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, cliveshep said:

I had a problem like that but I was lucky enough to get my pension Monday afternoon and did a normal monthly bulk shop up in Khampaeng Phet on Tuesday. Not so many people around and few empty shelves at BigC, Tops and Makro. Nobody seemed to be panic buying.

The only thing I didn't find was the cooking oil that we use in 2 litre bottles. 1/2 litre and 1 litre yes but I found the 2 litre bottles in the supermarket in the village.

A post using Thai language has been removed as this is an English language forum.  English is the only acceptable language anywhere on ThaiVisa including Classifieds, except within the Thai language forum, where of course using Thai is allowed. Short Thai translation of technical terms is permitted in specialty forums.

A trolling reply was removed as well.