Malls and markets in Bangkok ordered to close until 12 April

Jonathan Fairfield

2 hours ago, Silurian said:

I was just at Tesco Lotus. There is a lot of people buying stuff. A variety of items but mostly water. Not sure why water is such a hot commodity. There was also a very long line at the pharmacy. I am not sure what they all were getting. The check out lines were fully stationed so the actual checkout time was fast. Probably faster than normal. 

I made a quick stop at Dairy Queen to get my last Blizzard for the next few weeks. 

Not sure why water is such a hot commodity?????

ya mate! It's not like people need it to survive!

intelligence at its finest ! ????????????

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Silurian said:

I made a quick stop at Dairy Queen to get my last Blizzard for the next few weeks. 

Are you sure about that?

We have a bakery in the basement of Terminal 21 that we like to use, so my wife called them this afternoon. They said the shops in the basement where the supermarket is located, including our favorite bakery, will remain open, as will the food court upstairs for takeout only. But the regular retail shops in the rest of the mall will close....

But it would seem to get far more complicated in places like CentralWorld and Siam Paragon where the restaurants and food shops are located all throughout on many different floors and areas...  It's bizarre to me the announcement didn't offer more clarity about those kinds of mall situations...and only seemed to talk about "department stores".

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Are you sure about that?

We have a bakery in the basement of Terminal 21 that we like to use, so my wife called them this afternoon. They said the shops in the basement where the supermarket is located, including our favorite bakery will remain open, as will the food court upstairs. But the regular retail shops in the rest of the mall will close....

No, I'm not sure if Dairy Queen will be closed. I'm not sure if it's considered a restaurant or essential food.

Edited by Silurian

2 minutes ago, Silurian said:

No, I'm not sure if dairy Queen will be closed. I'm not sure if it's considered a restaurant or required food.

As best as I understand it, restaurants are supposed to be allowed to continue to offer takeout food...  I dunno if DQ is considered a restaurant, but they certainly are takeout...

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

The new normal 

The wife and I happened to be out midday today, and ended up going to a Japanese restaurant for an all you can eat sushi buffet!!!  Came home STUFFED!  Glad we did, since it may be the last sit-down restaurant meal we'll be having for quite a while...

3 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

"For malls, only the areas that sell food and goods that are used in daily life, will be open,” Aswin said in a Facebook live broadcast.

I wish I knew what exactly he meant by "goods that are used in daily life"???

I am wondering about places like IKEA and HomePro, PowerBuy etc that are not necessarily in malls nor do they sell food...but they certainly sell things used in daily life.

Restaurants will be open for takeout orders and pharmacies will also remain open. 

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

As best as I understand it, restaurants are supposed to be allowed to continue to offer takeout food...  I dunno if DQ is considered a restaurant, but they certainly are takeout...

I guess it depends if they go by the term restaurant or if it's anything that is considered take out. Pretty much all food kiosks would be considered take out, right? So what about Auntie Anne pretzels, Tong Garden nuts, Cafe Amazon, and the like? I'm curious where they draw the line. I guess we'll find out.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Silurian said:

I guess it depends if they go by the term restaurant or if it's anything that is considered take out. Pretty much all food kiosks would be considered take out, right? So what about Auntie Anne pretzels, Tong Garden nuts, Cafe Amazon, and the like? I'm curious where they draw the line. I guess we'll find out.

And places like Starbucks and Cafe Amazon... good other examples....

You'd think they ought to be able to remain open for takeout....but not sit down... But who knows, given that the announcement was so typically vague.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And places like Starbucks and Cafe Amazon... good other examples....

You'd think they ought to be able to remain open for takeout....but not sit down... But who knows, given that the announcement was so typically vague.

I also eat a quite a bit of street food in Bangkok. I'm wondering if those street food restaurants will be available for food takeout. Some of them do have home delivery but it feels strange getting food delivered from only a few hundred meters away.

5 minutes ago, Silurian said:

I also eat a quite a bit of street food in Bangkok. I'm wondering if those street food restaurants will be available for food takeout. Some of them do have home delivery but it feels strange getting food delivered from only a few hundred meters away.

I don't see any reason why street food places would be affected by the BMA's order.... 

10 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Apart from being highly unhygienic with rats and cockroaches running about and piles of unwashed dishes plonked about for ages, all these dumps should be closed for good

That may be true, but has absolutely nothing to do with the BMA's coronavirus closures order.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I wish I knew what exactly he meant by "goods that are used in daily life"???

Women use handbags every day.  They should probably make allowances for Louis Vuitton and Hermès.  I never see people in those shops anyways so it should be pretty safe.

I called PowerBuy and HomePro tonight, just to see their status as an indicator of non-food outlets...

The EN speaking PowerBuy CSR I got on the phone said that they only have plans to close THREE of their BKK branches starting tomorrow -- Mega Bangna, Central Ladphrao and one other -- but all the others should remain open....

Whether that's accurate or not, since they have many other mall locations in BKK, who knows!!!!

I got an EN speaking HomePro rep on the phone, and after checking with a supervisor, she said they have no closure plans for any of their BKK stores.

50 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Apart from being highly unhygienic with rats and cockroaches running about and piles of unwashed dishes plonked about for ages, all these dumps should be closed for good

Ahhh........but your missing the ambiance that goes with theses fine 1 star establishments where the food is arroy mak mak....

• Like 1

I am confused: they are only talking about malls

1) There is no closure planned for small shops (not talking about food) or for example art galeries? But I saw a laundry shop put up a sign saying they will be closed for 14 days under the Government regulation  

2) Now, food, we stopped at a noodle shop (not a street one) and were told that it would be business as usual which make sense but also got the same answer from the street vendors selling their food in a huge market like place ...

1 hour ago, Silurian said:

No, I'm not sure if Dairy Queen will be closed. I'm not sure if it's considered a restaurant or essential food.

Dairy Queen will not be closed, because they sell ice-cream and that is classified as food.

20 hours ago, smew said:

The world should take China country to ICC( international criminal court) and charge them with world public endangerment. Just like Europe did after WWI(Treaty of Versailles) Germany paid big price in land and gold for starting WWI.  This virus is no different than starting a war.

Penalty:  Elimination of all trade deficit with China : THIS IS WHAT WILL TEACH THEM A LESSON.

They took Tibet, East Turkmenistan started SARS and free world did NOTHING !!.  

PRC has no respect for anything that free world stands for!!!!  

LONG LIVE FREE TIBET & EAST TURKMEISTAN  

Rather easy excuse to blame only China for it. I blame GLOBALIZATION... Just my thought.

17 hours ago, Silurian said:

Well, I have a water filtration system. So no need for bottled water for me. In fact most people I know in Bangkok have a water filtration system of some sort. Either that or boil their tap water before drinking it.

Yes you do, what about the thais???!

hence the water buying 

Don't panic folks as more test kits become available and more people get tested and the labs can only process at a certain rate then the numbers will naturally increase. It doesn't have any bearing on new infections or existing infections. The total count that they report is just a data point. Get out and live but be cautious. There were 30 traffic deaths on Thai roads yesterday and that only counts those who pronounced dead at the scene ..

• Like 1