Malls and markets in Bangkok ordered to close until 12 April

Jonathan Fairfield

20 hours ago, sirineou said:

Even if taking China to court was possible, one has to prove malicious intent towards  the world. Every country has the sovereign right  to deal with with this situation in a way they think best, others might disagree with it , but it is not their call, in the same way that others can deal with the situation in their countries as best as they think even though China might think they are doing it wrong. 

It is called sovereignty. I find it odd that you would advocate sovereignty for Tibet and East Turkmenistan but advocate that China surrender theirs to a world court.

Correct, but there is something forgotten!!!!!!

All the trillions of $$ of value they stolen from western world.

If they would have to stay trial and must pay compensation to all the intellectual property owners, China would be gone.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, bender92 said:

Where are people supposed to eat?

Exactly. More to the point, not being able to eat-out, ie finish your meal, get up and forget about the dirty dishes, will certainly affect my mental health! I did the beat on my soi today and found the eateries open, business as usual at the front where they cook/display the food, but dark further inside, meaning "you can eat, but you can't go in," Hmm.

Will later go into "town" where we have the mall, tesco, makro, plus the adjacent "eating" market featuring a huge food court and see how things evolve...The central evening market outside the Rajamangala stadium will surely not be setting up their stalls for a while.

18 hours ago, pdtokyo said:

This pic raises so many questions ...

... do the X's mark places where we are supposed to sit or do they denote places where we are not supposed to sit ?

... why don't the chairs all line up (or not) with the X's ?

... where do the X's come from? are they sticky vinyl jobbies hastily rushed to market by an enterprising Thai company ... or from China?

... or are they v..e..r..y carefully hand-painted?

... have the X's been sanitised ?

.. why bother if the place only has the one customer?

I could go on.

The chairs are placed in the spaces where red X’s are NOT located. It seems obvious that the Red Cross denotes “do not sit here” and the chairs indicate “sit here”.

if you do not touch the red crosses, and why would you, it doesn’t matter whether they are Hand painted or whether they have been sanitised.

there is one customer at the time the photo is taken. Perhaps it’s not lunch time, when there would be more.

i could go on, but my two year old has more important questions they want answered 

• Like 1

On 3/21/2020 at 2:24 PM, sanemax said:

Are 7/11s classified as supermarkets ?

You would think 7/11 would be a breeding ground for it , hundreds of people in and out every day and night in close proximity exchanging money for goods , picking things up of the shelves then putting the back and how many hands touch the door handle on the refrio to buy beers because the bars are shut. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, justin case said:

BANKS not on the list, but banks in my aera are CLOSED !!!

how does farang homie got his BANK LETTER for immigration now ???

Do remember today is Sunday, most banks wouldn't be open anyway.

• Like 1

The problem with this move is that a lot of people will be out of work and if they dont have a job, or at least for a while, they will travel home to all parts of Thailand thus aiding the spread.  And from what I have seen around here they wont hesitate to have reunion meals and parties with old friends and families in the village.  I'm in a small village in Isaan and witness the effects of this every year with just the common coughs and colds that there is a sudden increase straight after New Year and Songkran after everyone has come home for the holidays.

I mentioned the other day that in Hua Hin when they closed the bars why not restaurants too. Now looks like that is coming. Good news as some restaurants are putting up signs saying come in and have a cold beer.....no need to buy any food.......:bah:

I also mentioned to some friends that I can see these closures going on past the Songkran dates as they will not want people throwing water around.....No bars - less water fights..... let us see....

6 minutes ago, justin case said:

I got Kbank & few others in a small mall, independant, own little building not inside mall - all closed

All banks in Robinson lat krabang - all closed

All the banks in the mall (True Digital Park) down the road from me are open. 

32 minutes ago, geisha said:

These rules will eventually be introduced to the whole of Thailand.

Stop complaining , and help STOP the contagion spreading . Self isolate as the rest of the world is doing ! 

Probably correct. Certainly and officially true for Chiang Mai as of this afternoon. My regular caddy, of all people, just forwarded the official order, signed by the Governor of Chiang Mai. It closely mirrors the Bangkok orders shown above. 

Edited by LawrenceN
Typo

34 minutes ago, retayl said:

The 1918 Spanish flu started in the USA and killed around 50million people. Worldwide. It was called Spanish flu because as a neutral country in WW1 Spain didn’t have press censorship and was able to report the pandemic so as news came out of Spain about this, it was called Spanish flu, much to their disapproval incidentally. 

So we’ll retro-name it USA flu. Is that ok with you?

Everybody knows that story this month. CNN loves to mention it as does the Washington Post and New York Times. Funny you need to go back 102 years for your foolish example. So keep using the sources above and be careful with the China Virus. Cheers 

• Like 1

On 3/21/2020 at 2:24 PM, sanemax said:

Are 7/11s classified as supermarkets ?

7 Elevens, Mini Marts, Family Marts are OPEN as they are classed as convenience stores. Pharmacies are also still open. 

On 3/21/2020 at 7:53 AM, Rookiescot said:

There's going to be a pandemic of fat hairy birds roaming the country.

So what the difference between a girl in Bangkok after lock down and a Walrus?

One is fat, has a mustache and smells of fish 

and the other is a sea mammal.

• Haha 1

On 3/21/2020 at 1:56 PM, metisdead said:

Post using content from Twitter have been removed, please do not post anything that is not from a reliable source, no links to YouTube, Facebook, Twitter.

A post commenting on moderation has now been removed. 

18) Social Media content is not to be used as  source material unless it is from a recognized or approved news media source,  the source of any such material (Twitter, Facebook  etc.) should always be shown.

You will not post phone numbers, email addresses, business names, or Social Media addresses in posts or signatures.

Web addresses to personal non-commercial sites/blogs, or Social Media accounts, may be posted in a member's profile page only.

On 3/21/2020 at 9:04 AM, Silurian said:

I was just at Tesco Lotus. There is a lot of people buying stuff. A variety of items but mostly water. Not sure why water is such a hot commodity. There was also a very long line at the pharmacy. I am not sure what they all were getting. The check out lines were fully stationed so the actual checkout time was fast. Probably faster than normal. 

I made a quick stop at Dairy Queen to get my last Blizzard for the next few weeks. 

Why water? Because Thailand is very hot and you can’t drink the tap water...