Preparing a CV for my daughter – looking for advice.

I’m not really sure if this is the correct place to ask this question .

My 23 year old daughter will soon be leaving a Thai University with a science degree and coming back home . Once home she will begin looking for full time employment . I am not familiar with what would be expected by a perspective Thai employer in the way of a CV.

I have several ideas based on my past experience with preparing a CV back home in England that would be based on education ( list of schools / dates and duration at individual private schools / list of achievements etc ) .

University courses list / external work experiences / achievements / degree / etc .

My daughter who’s English language skills are very good has asked me to help her prepare the CV paperwork .

Can any one please point me in the right direction or offer advice relating to a family member / friend who prepared a CV to submit to a perspective Thai employer.

Thanks Tom 

• Confused 1

A couple of rules for resumes (Professionals like a lawyer or a doctor have a CV).  Never more than 2 pages or it wont get read. Dont list every job you have ever had. Dont try and create a generic resume for all jobs, create or edit specific for the job you are applying for.

As above, there a thousands of guides and templates online.

• Like 1

My daughter who’s English language skills are very good has asked me to help her prepare the CV paperwork .

OP, please check for a program called Grammarly, which you can get very cheap from eBay.

There seems to be a free version as well for both of you.

First, you should never use such English in a CV/ resume. 

My daughter, who'swho is English skills should be: 

My daughter, whose English skills...

Or my daughter's English skills....No grammar Nazi thingy intended

You should get a letter of recommendation from her last English teacher at university.

I've written plenty of those recommendation letters for high school students, and it's essential to have such letters for her future.

Her problem is that she can't rely on experience, which seems to be the biggest problem. That's where a functional resume pops in.

See it this way; a poorly written resume will immediately land in the trash.

Using Grammarly will boost her English in a way that she'll experience from alone when she's writing something wrong.

You can use this program on MS Office, it works with all browsers, and it's an incredibly great tool for her.

If you can get a letter of recommendation from her high school and perhaps primary school, it's only good for her.

If you need some ideas, please send me a message, I can give you one of my templates, and you only have to change the names and dates.

Let her watch as many movies in English as possible. And for her free time, she could check on CEFR English her level of the language.

The CEFR test developed as an English language ability program, where anyone can use all different tasks from A 2 to the mastery level C 2.

There are two tests, a grammar/vocabulary and a listening test.

The answers change if somebody knows the first ones, and they become more difficult. 

You can access all reading, listening, writing, and speaking assessments for free. Should it turn out that she's got a level of A2, for example, let her do all exercises of this level and then tell her to go to the next, which is B 1.

Click in here to take the test. In the end, you can send the result to an email address.

Please see: https://www.examenglish.com/CEFR/cefr.php

Edited by Isaanbiker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

A couple of rules for resumes (Professionals like a lawyer or a doctor have a CV).  Never more than 2 pages or it wont get read. Dont list every job you have ever had. Dont try and create a generic resume for all jobs, create or edit specific for the job you are applying for.

As above, there a thousands of guides and templates online.

A university graduate doesn't have any work experience. At least not full time. 

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

If you daughter has a science degree, you should tell her to google it. She is 23, has a brain, so let her do it. She needs to do the work by her self too, she needs a bit of confidence (which she will get when she makes one and gets a job) and not someone to hold her hand all the time. 

Don't you think it should be "If your daughter?" ( without the intention of being a grammar nazi here) 

1 minute ago, Isaanbiker said:

A university graduate doesn't have any work experience. At least not full time. 

Yes that is right, but often graduates try and compensate for no real work experience by listing every irrelevant part time job they have ever done. 

Jeez, didnt her university offer career guidance?  I have never heard of a reputable one that did not. I would question her about this. Good luck. With the wages being offered both my kids who graduated this year chose to stay abroad and make a much better salary even factoring in the cost of living.

Definitely a good idea to proof read and make suggestions, based on a bit of googling by yourself.  I just went through this with a Thai nephew.  He had an appointed university adviser, that assisted in preparing his CV.   When he forwarded the CV to me (helping to get him placement), I noticed the CV was void of any and all critical/useful data.  It took a series of communications, to explain and give examples of what is required.  I finally sent him mine and had my wife explain the "W5" (who, what, where, when and why) of a CV.  A few revisions later...with hair pulling, eye poking, he nailed it.

The ones I used to receive were pretty much standard formate. Try keeping it one page. Photo and personal details at the top. A brief introduction highlighting strenghts.List education, any work experience she has...language would depend on which companies she applies. Plenty free templates on line.

Firstly, you need to find out (I don't know) what the accepted format of a CV is in Thailand.  It may be quite different from what is usual in the West.  I've written and helped with many CV's in the UK but I wouldn't attempt it in Thailand without doing a little research.

News reporting here, for example, is the opposite of reporting back home.  In the UK, for instance, an article will start off with the main headline explained followed by the detail.  In Thailand it's the other way around. (Thai reporting that is, not English language articles)

A good CV would have the main summary on the first page.  That is, SELL yourself up front and leave the detail in the pages following.  It's very easy to produce a front page of nothing but basic information.  That will usually get 'filed' and the following pages never read.

As I've said, that may or may not be appropriate in Thailand.  Speak to one or two of the main employers here.

You would be surprised at the amount of young people I have had to fire, because someone else prepared their CV!

Employers hire people based quite a bit on their CV, and there is nothing worse than having one which is perfect, no spelling/grammar mistakes, BUT...

Immediately when they start work, it becomes glaringly obvious that the person who handed in their CV, is not the person who prepared it, and quite unsuitable for the job (mistakes galore while working).

Don't do it.  Let them prepare their own.  It's what employers expect, and judge you with....

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, thailand49 said:
30 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

What is missing in the discussion from my experience if your daughter gets that far if job is offer there will be tea money expected.

Really.  I've taught at university here for some years, and I've never come across 'tea money' being a condition of getting a job.

12 hours ago, HHTel said:

Really.  I've taught at university here for some years, and I've never come across 'tea money' being a condition of getting a job.

That is your experience great but no mines. Been here going on 2 decades have a son, my brother who is also here has a number of kids.

I've forgotten the stories I've heard and experience when I first got here but as my son just finished his internship got remind of how things work here. Call it Tea money fee it is all the same.

I remember when we first enrolled our kids into the school, there was placed first time entry fee on top of the tuition, as we start to research and visit school for my granddaughter it is the same.

My brother oldest daughter airport internship same.  My neighbor son smart a scholar so smart the government helped him with his education after he did a job 50,000 baht a month same had to pay the fee.

My daughter in law has a Master in accounting looking for a job one interview at a major bank same.

One of my renters for years finally got his dream placement down on Soi 9 beach road police station same.

Edited by thailand49