Country singer Kenny Rogers dies aged 81

Jonathan Fairfield

Country singer Kenny Rogers dies aged 81

2020-03-21T072038Z_1_LYNXMPEG2K08L_RTROPTP_3_MUSIC-COUNTRYMUSICAWARDS.JPG

(Reuters) - Grammy-winning country singer Kenny Rogers died late on Friday night at the age of 81, his family said on Saturday.

The American singer "passed away peacefully at home from natural causes under the care of hospice and surrounded by his family," a statement on the singer's website said.

"The family is planning a small private service at this time out of concern for the national COVID-19 emergency."

Rogers embarked on a world farewell tour in 2016 but in April 2018 he canceled the last few shows citing "a series of health challenges."

Rogers, a three-time Grammy winner and a Country Music Hall of Famer, was best known for songs like "The Gambler" and his 1983 duet with Dolly Parton "Islands in the Stream."

After beginning his career in the 1950s with a jazz group, Rogers went solo in the 1970s and released his break-through single "Lucille" in 1977.

(Reporting by Subrat Patnaik in Bengaluru and Jill Serjeant in Los Angeles; Editing by Frances Kerry)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-03-21

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ratcatcher said:

Well done Kenny, you played your last hand. You will be remembered for some great C & W songs over the decades. R.I.P.

And some pretty good roast chicken too ...

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Crossy said:

It was a lunch staple in KL when we were doing the PUTRA LRT, cripes that was 1998!

There was a branch in Singapore at Great World City we used to eat at occasionally, the eating area was in the middle of the centre, I invariable used to get seated looking directly into a ladies shoe shop that was open fronted, always felt like a perve as had to watch while shoe fitting was in progress! though I hate to admit it there were some great views, as hard as I tried not to look ???? 

Will leave it to your imagination!

Thanks Kenny - RIP 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

sorry to hear this. i was just listening to a song that really captured a certain time and place. it was sort of corny at the time but really summed things up.

I had the album that was on.  I played it so many times I think I wore the needle out. 

• Like 1

Some of the old timers I did not appreciate as much "back in the day".   Electric guitar rocked

my boat.   But, nostalgia does help to like them more now.   At first I thought of this song........

but alas,  not from Kenny.    King of the Road might apply to many expats soon   haha  

Life is change.   And not always an easy road for everyone

• Like 1

I am having a problem with the videos on this and other threads on TVF.

Every time I click on them I get an message saying "an error has occurred".

Yet if I go direct to Youtube and type in the video I want to see it comes up straight away.

“Sometimes you gotta fight to be a man”. From Coward of the County.  RIP Kenny.  His songs told stories.  They were great stories.  After listening to the lyrics of the Gambler I have lived with the following:  Got to Know when to fold and know when to hold em.  Always, never count your money at the table(or ATM).  

Another legend from my generation has departed.  

• Like 1

Another one gone - RIP Kenny - a great life lived well.

A certain lady and I had a thing for 'Islands in the Stream' - long memories of a great brief time.

One of the worsts thing about getting old - the passing away of others in your life.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rumak said:

Some of the old timers I did not appreciate as much "back in the day".   Electric guitar rocked

my boat.   But, nostalgia does help to like them more now.   At first I thought of this song........

but alas,  not from Kenny.    King of the Road might apply to many expats soon   haha  

Life is change.   And not always an easy road for everyone

Dang me, dang me
They oughta take a rope and hang me
High from the highest tree
Woman, would you weep for me?

Roger Passed away long ago - sad to know I am much older than he was when he passed away (56).

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I am having a problem with the videos on this and other threads on TVF.

Every time I click on them I get an message saying "an error has occurred".

Yet if I go direct to Youtube and type in the video I want to see it comes up straight away.

Probably a security setting on your browser - maybe ask for TV tech support - slick on "Contact Us' below and send a message.

22 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

“Sometimes you gotta fight to be a man”. From Coward of the County.  RIP Kenny.  His songs told stories.  They were great stories.  After listening to the lyrics of the Gambler I have lived with the following:  Got to Know when to fold and know when to hold em.  Always, never count your money at the table(or ATM).  

Another legend from my generation has departed.  

Agreed, but he never wrote those songs, just sang them... :thumbsup:

20 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

I hadn't heard of it, I'm not American,but it sure looks tasty, better than KFC I am sure.  image.jpeg.638c23c19a803f0435c4bc44fb588e5a.jpeg

There's a few in Kuala Lumpur.  Never ate there myself, the local food in Malaysia is too good.  BTW he may have had nothing to do with the business except licensing out his name.

On 3/22/2020 at 9:45 AM, rumak said:

King of the Road might apply to many expats

It was the name of my Volvo F89 in 1973;
125 km / h at 2200 rpm;
and much more in some magnificent descents in Italy; especially on the Firenze - all 'mare motorway coming from Viareggio.
do not repeat it although it seems to me that there is prescription.:giggle:
It was a blessed time for us European truckers; almost 50 years ago ...

2 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

It was the name of my Volvo F89 in 1973;
125 km / h at 2200 rpm;
and much more in some magnificent descents in Italy; especially on the Firenze - all 'mare motorway coming from Viareggio.
do not repeat it although it seems to me that there is prescription.:giggle:
It was a blessed time for us European truckers; almost 50 years ago ...

ahhhh,  50 years ago  !   I was a leaf in the wind,  wandering around the States in my old Ford

van.   Motorcycle and dog also in the back.  Needed a blanket on my legs to keep warm sometimes.   Ran out of money and ended up selling vegies from a truck in SF . 

Being a trucker, got a song for you.   I saw Willie perform circa 1972 in Austin, TX

• Thanks 1