US Travel advice?

JohnTJ

Any Americans on here?  We landed on Feb 29 and were planning to stay till May 26 (with a brief visa run into Cambodia end of April).

Now, however the State Dept is issuing ominous sounding messages with things like:

"U.S. citizens normally resident in the U.S. but currently outside the U.S,, i.e. tourists and other short-term travelers, should return while there are still transportation options available. "

Opinions?   Are people trying to head back right away or planning to wait it out?

1. Would there actually be no transportation options open in a month or two?  Unlike the rest of the world, flights to/from Thailand seem normal-ish (although I realize anything can change overnight).

2. Where does it seem safer?  Currently, it's a strong pointer to here in Thailand vs back in the NYC area but the first cases in Phuket were just announced....

3. It certainly sounds safer to wait and let them get better at sanitization and other processes for flying, but (insert unknown here)?

The US travel advisory specifically for Thailand is on this web page:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/thailand-travel-advisory.html

At the moment, the above page makes no mention of Covid-19 but it has the link country information page, which in turn has the link COVID-19, which in turn has the link COVID-19 Information, which in turn has the link Health Alert: U.S. Embassy Bangkok, Thailand – March 15, 2020, which in turn has the link Ministry of Public Health for additional information on the website of Thailand's Ministry of Publich Health.

Ive posted this in another thread, but my summary is that I'm heading back to the US. At first I was going to wait it out for awhile, do a visa extension for 60 days if worse comes to worse, but the fact that the borders are closed (and who truly knows if they will actually reopen on their stated dates), IOs appear to get more tougher based on Facebook posts, and even here, more unknowns, the fact that I am 'farang' or a foreigner in another country has made me want to leave ASAP

Things were already dicey with immigration, but now with this COVID-19 global lockdown that is starting to happen, Id rather not deal with the headache and stress of uncertainty.

I dont want to go back to America, but I feel this is the best move. Once things settle down later on, then I can reevaluate the situation (Facebook posts, forum posts, etc) and come back to Thailand.

To add, I think Thailand in general would be safer than the US. Not saying that the $hit will hit the fan, but when times get tough, I don't see the rioting in Thailand in general like I do see in America.

But one thing I do see is that immigration will be much tougher and perhaps an uncomfortable experience for foreigners or 'farangs.'

Thailand has been a great country but the IO situation is whats making me get out of here hopefully days from now.

Edited by JacobD

7 hours ago, JacobD said:

I don't see the rioting in Thailand in general like I do see in America.

Come riot in my families neighborhood ???? We ALL have fields of fire laid out.

What route are you taking?