Covid-19: Government to impose state of emergency

Jonathan Fairfield

2 hours ago, hottrader77 said:

What i want to know is this state of emergancy does it mean that all flights back to uk will be cancelled and all flights in will be cancelled ? does anybody know if uk residents can still fly home to uk ??

Nobody knows, at this time. The announcement about a coming announcement only served to open up anxiety for foreigners on the verge of flying home, and for Thais about how life will be here now.

57 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

Does anyone know can a thai with a fit to fly still fly into bangkok...ie have they closed the airport

I would expect potential airport closures to happen possibly soon especially after reading what the US Embassy said about if you’re gonna go go now while flights are still available. So have a plan and a plan in case you are stuck in transit like our friend from the states is probably gonna end up. If you don’t have to travel then you probably shouldn’t. 

Either the chickens are on strike or they've been given the lock-down order by big daddy.

Went out to buy a tray of eggs this morning, dark side pattaya, local shops-none, big market on Soi CountryClub-none, KhaoTalo market-one small stand nearly sold out and selling at 50% inflated prices.

Otherwise, markets not very busy, many shops closed, not all that much traffic, some people wearing coffee filters on their face, others not.

3 minutes ago, glennb6 said:

Either the chickens are on strike or they've been given the lock-down order by big daddy.

Went out to buy a tray of eggs this morning, dark side pattaya, local shops-none, big market on Soi CountryClub-none, KhaoTalo market-one small stand nearly sold out and selling at 50% inflated prices.

Otherwise, markets not very busy, many shops closed, not all that much traffic, some people wearing coffee filters on their face, others not.

I just had Foodpanda deliver some awesome breakfast eggs over easy and boiled eggs for me. No problem here. 

17 minutes ago, glennb6 said:

Some poster yesterday said that some doctor said that virus can't penetrative egg shell thus starting a run on eggs. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, kimamey said:

Just checked on Kayak and three seem to be flights from today until 7th April. It would be best to check the actual airlines and you might need to check on transfer rules at connecting airports. They might not be allowed and it's possible there would be long stopovers with no option of leaving the airport to stay in a hotel. Direct flights would avoid this. 

Looking at direct flights between now and 31st there are 3 Thai airways ranging from £925 to £3033 in economy and BA £3813 in basic economy. Some off these seem to be more expensive than premium economy. Thai Airways ous £2248 in business class and the cheapest business seat on EVA Air is £1932. Amazing but then airfares have never made sense. 

The trouble is things are changing all the time so you'd probably need to either check the airline websites or phone them if you can get through. 

TRY AIR  FRANCE way cheaper than all those 8000 baht flying out in the next week

The updated decree should come out soon. Some of the details I heard were curfew from 8pm to 5am and limited travel between provinces except for medical personnel. In affect until end of April.

The likely exportation of the virus to the provinces by the wekend exodus could have tragic consequences upcountry, particularly in the most populous North Eastern region. I was looking at some old MoPH data from 2010.  The number of hospital beds per 1000 people was about 2.1 then and I believe it is now 2.4 which compares with 3.4 in Italy.  But Bangkok in 2010 was much higher the national average in 2010 and the North east was much less.  Assuming the ratios have remained constant Bangkok would have 4.3 beds per 1,000 today which is more than Italy overall but possibly the same as the most prosperous Lombardy region which has suffered the brunt of the outbreak.  Unfortunately, using the same assumptions Isaan would only have 0.9 beds per 1,000 people today.  

Thailand also has far less doctors per capita than Italy. In the North East they are particularly thin on the ground.  However, although there is no hard evidence, observation suggests that Thai hospitals have far more nurses and staff in general than European hospitals.  I had to go to an NHS hospital in London a few years ago and in the ward where patients were being prepared for minor procedures there was only one nurse and one toilet for about 20 patients. I wandered around lost in the maze that hospital until I came across another human being to ask directions from.  That would be inconceivable in a public hospital in Thailand.  

A cynic might take the view that the creation of the exodus was intentional to shift the burden from Bangkok, like the strategy to sacrifice other provinces to save Bangkok in the 2011 floods, regardless of the increased infections caused by it. It also cleared Bangkok of a certain number of laid off workers who might have become desperate. Could military minds think in these terms?

Edited by Dogmatix

21 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

Just been listening to a doctor in Milan who was asked why the outbreak was so severe there.

1. Large number of Chinese visitors to Northern Italy.

2. One of the most aged demographics in the world.

3. Government tardiness in reacting.

No mention of some Italian superstrain. Urban myth based on zero facts.

A recent report in The National newspaper (published in Glasgow) stated that Northern Italy has a large fashion industry employing several thousand temporary Chinese workers. Many of them returned to China for Christmas and New Year and are believed to have brought the virus back with them on return. 

5 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

how effective are these lockdowns?

Italy started their lockdown over 2 weeks ago and it's made no difference

i'm more inclined to believe the situation relates more to this

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8148529/Coronavirus-infected-half-British-population-say-Oxford-University-experts.html

Cyril Sneer claims that the lockdown in Italy has not been a success. In any scientific experiment one always needs a standard or control to compare with the results obtained from the experiment. The current virus is a new species and there is not enough data yet available for comparisons to made. There is no doubt that the figures from Italy are horrendous, but that does not mean that they wouldn't have been far worse without the lockdown.

As an afterthought it may not be a good idea to believe everything printed in the Daily Mail.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Maybole said:

A recent report in The National newspaper (published in Glasgow) stated that Northern Italy has a large fashion industry employing several thousand temporary Chinese workers. Many of them returned to China for Christmas and New Year and are believed to have brought the virus back with them on return. 

Probably a lot of Chinese tourists came over Chinese New Year, although the main tourist trail is Rome, Florence and Venice (also bad) but not so much Milan, Bergamo etc, as they are more industrial with less sights.

24 minutes ago, Silurian said:

The updated decree should come out soon. Some of the details I heard were curfew from 8pm to 5am and limited travel between provinces except for medical personnel. In affect until end of April.

I've been reading Thaimedicalnews.com recently, where they post different info about the virus.

They now have a heading saying something along the lines of they wish to conform with the State of Emergency tomorrow and will no longer be reporting news about the Coronavirus.

Now we have some idea of what is going to happen.

Edit: Let me correct that... it should be the situation in Thailand regarding the virus.

Edited by petedk

5 minutes ago, fred110 said:

Yes, destroy the economy for 4 dead.

That is a tough dilemma and the government apparently took that view before they started considering what a collapse of the Thai healthcare system might look like and how many tens of thousands of deaths that might cause. We are definitely not out of the woods as far as that is concerned.

23 hours ago, keith101 said:

Is doing a 90 day an essential task in order to leave home ?

I am due to do a 90 day report on the 29th, so as it is not an essential task and only a bit of nonsense from the

Thai government, I should not have to go, right?

23 hours ago, MaxLee said:

Panic buying here we go again

There is no need for panic buying, everyone is going to be allowed to buy food, will the Thai government take any steps to stop panic buying? I doubt it, and the Chinese will be allowed to flood in to Thailand when this is all over.

23 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Were you  given an explanation for refusal?

Thai immigration do not need to give any explanations for anything, they can and do anything any particular office feels like.

22 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

If that deadly strain of Covid19 from Italy gets out and into Asia then Buddha help the populations of Asian countries.

Too late, as that is the specific strain of the virus that occurred at the Lumpinee Boxing Stadium, originating with a returnee from Italy.

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, Zikomat said:

Still this is not your country. You are not a citizen. So I advise you to return to your country which has advised you to return according to your own words. Go back home until all this situation is cleared up. Everybody have their own personal circumstances and yours are not more important for me than mine. Vice versa is also true.

No,they are not advising expats to return,understandably because they most likely have no homes to go to let alone family and they will not be provided. Please think things through before posting 

• Like 1