Covid-19: Government to impose state of emergency

Jonathan Fairfield

7 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

how effective are these lockdowns?

Italy started their lockdown over 2 weeks ago and it's made no difference

Are you sure? Although "one swallow does not a summer make," the latest figures show a slowdown:

As Italy saw slowdowns in both new confirmed coronavirus cases and coronavirus deaths Monday, Italian officials are cautiously optimistic that the worst of the outbreak may be coming to an end.

Italy sees slight slowdown

10 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

So what are the details of this emergency decree?  

They are still probably trying to decide but leaving it this late is not helpful, how on earth can people plan for tomorrow if they don't know if they can even go out and when. Team Thailand still in the dressing room arguing tactics.

19 minutes ago, Mikeasq60 said:

Are the powers that be thinking about this. When will I be allowed to see my wife in Thailand thats all I want to know. Thailand has much to loose with this lock down.

Why are people getting married for and then going back to their country?  In what other country do people do this???  You get married, you settle down with your partner...period  

I just feel these people who are married but not living with their spouse are in effect treating them as a condo, or a motorcycle or a statue? (OP cant wait to "see" his wife)

I'll purchase this object while in Thailand, then whenever I get back to Thailand I can see it, enjoy it then, but in the meantime it is mine, so no one else can claim it, use it, or impregnate it, etc...

An incomprehensible way to have a relationship to me, let alone a marriage

That said. up to you, and to each their own.  Best of luck to you getting where you need to be - or want to be .

Peace

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

can you de-capitilise my name when quoting me please

sorry for the Daily Mail link, that's probably what got you started

Oops, sorry cyril, it's interesting you bring up two petty points but ignore the inaccurate statement in your post. The fact is I am neither for or against the Daily Mail but have noticed in the 13 plus years I have lived in the LoS that is not popular with some posters here and also similar comments on UK tv programmes. 

10 hours ago, scorecard said:

Still lots of reports about big crowds at bars and pubs etc., frequented by Thai folks and farang (not necessarily meaning bars / pubs with girls or boys available) and no personal distancing, obviously the virus spreads and big numbers involved.

A curfew with strong checking and severe punishments for bar owners/managers and customers will cancel this opportunity for the virus to spread,

Right now nobody absolutely must go to bars and pubs, just stay home. 

That must be in the provinces. No bars and Restaurants are open in Bangkok. streets are empty at night. 

7 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

They are still probably trying to decide but leaving it this late is not helpful, how on earth can people plan for tomorrow if they don't know if they can even go out and when. Team Thailand still in the dressing room arguing tactics.

If people are planning to leave,they can go out of course even during a curfew. And if you have to visit an airlines office you would do it during the day,right? 

21 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

It will depend on where you are going and who you are flying with. Yesterday it was looking like a complete shutdown of flights was imminent. Certainly was for Australia.

I was on the last QANTAS flight. Finished , kaput, no more for the duration.

Mine is EVA air BR67 to London Heathrow. Emailed me around 3pm confirming its status as still on, so from their end it looks okay. The Government end is now a little clearer but there is still the potential for a curve ball coming.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

That may be intentional. Troops could be on the move very late tonight. By morning there could be roadblocks. They have done this before.

2 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

curfew.

Curfew definition, an order establishing a specific time in the evening after which certain regulations apply, especially that no civilians or other specified group of unauthorized persons may be outdoors or that places of public assembly must be closed. 

So having lived thru a few curfews it is very unwise to break it

5 minutes ago, sallecc said:

" "Requirements will be announced on Thursday. They will be issued on an ongoing basis to reduce the epidemic. Some will be requests for cooperation and others will be compulsory," the prime minister said "

You don't have to repeat what's in every newspaper. 

2 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

Probably a lot of Chinese tourists came over Chinese New Year, although the main tourist trail is Rome, Florence and Venice (also bad) but not so much Milan, Bergamo etc, as they are more industrial with less sights.

Many Chinese go home for their new year. Much the same as the USA does for Thanksgiving.

6 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Many Chinese go home for their new year. Much the same as the USA does for Thanksgiving.

Many Chinese tourists visit Thailand during the Chinese New Year. That's the time of the year when you see most of them here. 

15 minutes ago, Lissos said:

Mine is EVA air BR67 to London Heathrow. Emailed me around 3pm confirming its status as still on, so from their end it looks okay. The Government end is now a little clearer but there is still the potential for a curve ball coming.

The curfew won't stop you going to the airport. That's not what the curfew is for. 

15 minutes ago, sanemax said:

All the bars in CM are closed though , although there seems to be alot of Thai guys hanging around the streets drinking  , they may have came from BKK

My son tells me many of his buddies have mentioned places that are 'closed' but plenty of people inside through another door. One also mentioned a birthday party for one of the work colleagues.

Bottom line for my son, he's at home with his wife very focused on organizing things to keep his 3 kids happy and occupied. 

17 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Curfew definition, an order establishing a specific time in the evening after which certain regulations apply, especially that no civilians or other specified group of unauthorized persons may be outdoors or that places of public assembly must be closed. 

So having lived thru a few curfews it is very unwise to break it

It's about the reason you're breaking it. If you're going to the airport, then it's ok. This is not the first curfew in Thailand. 

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

The money would be better spent propping up the inadequate health service rather than buying useless submarines for the navy to play with!

Especially when we wonder where they will be able to play given the shallowness of the Gulf of Thailand

3 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

Probably a lot of Chinese tourists came over Chinese New Year, although the main tourist trail is Rome, Florence and Venice (also bad) but not so much Milan, Bergamo etc, as they are more industrial with less sights.

It's not just Rome, Venice (which stinks except in winter) and Florence in Italy.
I see that you do not know the cathedral of Milan or the whole city of Verona;
in fact Italy where I have gone hundreds of times for my work and where I have lived for a full year is a huge open air museum;
do you know that in Aosta, a few tens of km from the tunnel under the MT Blanc, there is a magnificent Roman theater?

2 hours ago, peter48 said:

The antiglobalisation guy needs China as they make most medical equipment US needs. USA with its rotten health care system is on its knees. 

And Cuba, the country scorned by the USA, has the best medicine in the world.
I do not believe that Donald calls them for help which will be a further fault on his part.