The Old Grumps Should Be Locking Themselves In About Now

Ulysses G.

I get bored of it after a day or two, but I do enjoy all the gorgeous smiles and silliness for a while. To me, it's the most amazing holiday that I have ever seen, anywhere.

One great thing about participating in Songkran is no old grumps are around. They are all locked in their rooms alone lucturing the TV set about how Songkran used to be in the good old days and when you go walking around, you know that you won't meet any.

I'm looking forward to it now. How about you? :o

I get bored of it after a day or two, but I do enjoy all the gorgeous smiles and silliness for a while. To me, it's the most amazing holiday that I have ever seen, anywhere.

One great thing about participating in Songkran is no old grumps are around. They are all locked in their rooms alone lucturing the TV set about how Songkran used to be in the good old days and when you go walking around, you know that you won't meet any.

I'm looking forward to it now. How about you? :D

I love Songkran and yes one of the side benefits is the sudden disapearance of the old Bar Humbug Brigade :o - now that should be the name of a pub - fill it with expats who can send their 16year old Mia Chao off to get a pack of fags at the 7/11, while they sit around nursing a beer for three hours, watching the Premier League football, and sit in the air conditioning for free. :D

My first Songkran was in 1978 and again in '79 Missed a few years but have celebrated 17 and the last 5 in Thailand. Lots of changes in that time but I still enjoy it.

CB

I love Songkran and yes one of the side benefits is the sudden disapearance of the old Bar Humbug Brigade :D - now that should be the name of a pub - fill it with expats who can send their 16year old Mia Chao off to get a pack of fags at the 7/11, while they sit around nursing a beer for three hours, watching the Premier League football, and sit in the air conditioning for free. :D

Exactly! :o

I love Songkran and yes one of the side benefits is the sudden disapearance of the old Bar Humbug Brigade :D - now that should be the name of a pub - fill it with expats who can send their 16year old Mia Chao off to get a pack of fags at the 7/11, while they sit around nursing a beer for three hours, watching the Premier League football, and sit in the air conditioning for free. :D

Exactly! :o

Actually it sounds like my old bar between 11:00am and 4:00pm when they came in because they were too mean to pay the electricity and run the A/C in their condo. One guy told me that he sends his Mia Chao of to the Mom and Pop corner store because the bar changed 3 baht more for a pack of Krung Tip.

They were so tight arsed, when they farted it was ultrasonic

CB

I saw things get underway in the tourist areas around Thapae and Loi Kroh, mostly tourists throwing water in front of bars.

Tourists, of course, are not the most fun encounter during the run-up to Songkran.. If you're walking or riding a motorbike, best avoid the Thapae & Loi Kroh area if you want to stay dry. :o

This will be my 14th Songkran and still loving it!! :D

And Crow Boy: Surely the Bar Humbug Brigade would not manage to nurse a beer for 3 hours?? That's a backpacker skill. :D

Yes, I'll be driven to the boozer in the truck and dumped there to while away the few hours. Nursing a single beer for three hours is going to be difficult though.

:o

I always thought it was closer 3 beer an hour for you :D

I saw things get underway in the tourist areas around Thapae and Loi Kroh, mostly tourists throwing water in front of bars.

Tourists, of course, are not the most fun encounter during the run-up to Songkran.. If you're walking or riding a motorbike, best avoid the Thapae & Loi Kroh area if you want to stay dry. :o

This will be my 14th Songkran and still loving it!! :D

And Crow Boy: Surely the Bar Humbug Brigade would not manage to nurse a beer for 3 hours?? That's a backpacker skill. :D

The backpackers have learned this trick from the BHB (Bah Humbug Brigade) - between pension cheques it is like trying to pry an abalone of a rock face to get a 100 Baht note out of their fist :D

But yes - I have permission from the "trouble and strife" go "go play with your friends around the moat - but don't get drunk" - isn't that just like a woman give you permission to do two things mutually exclusive :D

have we settled on a site yet?

CB

John's place has girls and cold beer. It is in the middle of everything and one can retire to a fine meal in air-con at The Laughing Leprechan if one is tired. :o

What more can a man want :D

Has a particular day been set up for the get together? I was looking at Saturday as my preferred but can adjust depending on the others

CB

John's place has girls and cold beer. It is in the middle of everything and one can retire to a fine meal in air-con at The Laughing Leprechan if one is tired. :o

That's an EXCELLENT suggestion!!! And you can get there dry through the soi that cuts back to Ratchamankha, where you can park. :D

Has a particular day been set up for the get together? I was looking at Saturday as my preferred but can adjust depending on the others

I have been through a LOT of Songkrans and I feel that the REALLY fun days are the first two.

After that, everyone is just going through the motions - most Farangs and most Thais who are not children are not really having fun any more. If we are going to make a point to meet, we should do it at the beginning of the holiday.

Do other old timers agree with me?

I have been through a LOT of Songkrans and I feel that the REALLY fun days are the first two.

After that, everyone is just going through the motions - most Farangs and most Thais who are not children are not really having fun any more. If we are going to make a point to meet, we should do it at the beginning of the holiday.

Do other old timers agree with me?

I think it usually builds up from what will be Wednesday this week, Thursday will be the real start, Friday - full on and then Saturday the big one, Sunday it will start to drop a bit as everyone starts to complain about wet clothing, hangover from hel_l, bl**dy tourists, it's hot etc. By Monday and Tuesday it will only be the toursits/backpackers going through the motions.

Mind you if I had this week off which was my plan I would be in there now behaving like an idiot and having fun doing it :o

CB

Y`all enjoy yourselves. I am going to enjoy getting even wetter, diving in the ocean around the Similan islands.

Excellent diving - enjoy and we will add your name to the bar tab for you to settle when you get back

CB

I passed my first bucket brigade this afternoon (Tuesday), on Huay Kaew west of Central. A Thai family at the curb, and when I motioned that I didn't want water (I was on the bike), they didn't throw water. I will expect the farang drunks to be inconsiderate.

I passed the same family on my "nice" motorbike. Thought I'd give it one last run before I put it to bed for a week (or so!). When I smiled at them, moved to far right of lane, and wagged my finger at them, they just did a half-hearted bucket throw at me; not a drop. Went home, changed to the beater 10+ yr old Honda Dream, and went back downtown. To procure a water rifle. I scored, and I'm ready to rock and roll...... :o

Warning!

There is lots of water being thrown around the moat downtown right now and there are lots of clueless Farang tourists wandering around with squirtguns attacking everyone that they see. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

Warning!

There is lots of water being thrown around the moat downtown right now and there are lots of clueless Farang tourists wandering around with squirtguns attacking everyone that they see. :bah:

NEWS FLASH: Gecko Books offers immediate discounts for all remainder bin books. Some slightly damp. Get 'em while you can- sale ends tomorrow :o:D:D:D:D:bah:

Warning!

There is lots of water being thrown around the moat downtown right now and there are lots of clueless Farang tourists wandering around with squirtguns attacking everyone that they see. :bah:

NEWS FLASH: Gecko Books offers immediate discounts for all remainder bin books. Some slightly damp. Get 'em while you can- sale ends tomorrow :o:D:D:D:D:bah:

I told the staff to bring those books inside! :o

Used to love Songkran...

However, my wife works in a Hospital here in Chiang Mai...and the amount of people they treat who have been maimed (a lot who die) by water throwing is disgraceful.

Kids who've been hit by slabs of ice as they ride their bikes...

Motorists who've crashed into people on bikes and killed them due to being hit unexpectedly.

Yes, a great holiday it is. Except for those who lose loved one's or people who'll never walk again.

And I'm not talking 1 or 2 people. I am talking hundreds.

No disrespect intended to the previous 2 posters on this issue, but I would like to make a few points, which you can either disdain or consider- up to you.

There seems to be a certain cultural disconnect here. Yeah, yahoos throwing water, causing accidents, death, etc. is definitely not OK.

But I want you to reflect on your own home country, around major holiday time. Are there accidents, tragedies, deaths etc. there? Of course there are.

But because you do not celebrate Songkran, like the Thais do, here where we are, IN THAILAND (my emphasis) you are somehow miffed that these folks are going crazy with the water, causing accidents, etc.

You are not going to change it. Just stay home.

And let the rest of us who want to celebrate this holiday, with our Thai friends, enjoy themselves.

watergun.jpg

Y`all enjoy yourselves. I am going to enjoy getting even wetter, diving in the ocean around the Similan islands.

Rasseru, you DOG! How I envy you. I'm looking at my (unused since July) dive gear. Hope you have a great trip!

And if you have a good trip with a particular operator, could you bring me back a business card? Thanks!

Oh, and ON TOPIC, the Grumps Have Already Locked Themselves Indoors By Now...... :o

No disrespect intended to the previous 2 posters on this issue, but I would like to make a few points, which you can either disdain or consider- up to you.

There seems to be a certain cultural disconnect here. Yeah, yahoos throwing water, causing accidents, death, etc. is definitely not OK.

But I want you to reflect on your own home country, around major holiday time. Are there accidents, tragedies, deaths etc. there? Of course there are.

But because you do not celebrate Songkran, like the Thais do, here where we are, IN THAILAND (my emphasis) you are somehow miffed that these folks are going crazy with the water, causing accidents, etc.

And let the rest of us who want to celebrate this holiday, with our Thai friends, enjoy themselves.

watergun.jpg

whats the range on that baby?

Sorry mate...but this is the dumbest thing I've ever read.

There's a MASSIVE difference between some road deaths back home, caused simply due to so many people using the roads at once...

And some kid being hit by a slab of ice and veering into an oncoming car...

Or three girls on a bike sliding under a truck after they get smashed by a bucket of water from close range.

100's will die becaue of these things. AVOIDABLE.

**edited for flame***

Through my wife's job...I see the "other side". The dead and injured. To just say "mai pen rai, let us enjoy it"...really, you're a much to blame for those killed as anyone.

And no, not all Thai's think it's great fun. If you knew Thai's, you'd know that. Ask the hospital staff what they think. Ask the countless familie who don't let their kids out for a week as it's too dangerous...

Edited by sbk
flame of other member removed

I have been "edited for flaming"...see above.

There was no flaming at all.

I've PM'd the mod the following reply:

There was absolutely nothing abusive about my post. Please at least read within CONTEXT.

I said people will die avoidably...

He said "so what, let us have fun"

To which I simply said "well, i hope it's you...rather than some poor girl on her way to work". I.e. the people who seem to not care about the avoidable deaths...it would be fairer if they are the one's hurt.

That is NOT the same as wishing someone dies. Read things in context mate.