US Corona Virus Releif Bills - Cash Payout to Social Security Recipients Also

The Senate failed to move forward on Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s CARES Act, which in addition to its many business breaks and tax law changes, would have ordered the IRS to cut an immediate stimulus check of $1000 to most American adults. 

On Monday, House Democrats upped the ante by offering $1500 to each adult, including social security recipients. 

Are you guys happy?

Edited by Mulambana
  • Confused 1
3 hours ago, cmarshall said:

Anyone see whether SS recipients will be included?  So, far none of the articles I have seen have mentioned SS.

Pelosi's bill includes SS receipients under $99K/year incomes. The max is at $75K. It goes down $5 for each $100 income above 75K.

5 hours ago, khwaibah said:

Now they have three bills. The original 1.2 trillion Senate bill with a slush fund of $500 billion for the most criminal President in American history to dole out largesse to his lackeys as he wishes without any restrictions or transparency. The above is a compromised bill (I have not read it yet in the Senate and the the third one is the House bills that has the most generous cash payouts for working people and other provisions mostly targeted to unemployed people, students, local hospitals, state grants and some funds for corporate bailout with strict guidelines.

Edited by Mulambana

we have nothing yet.  so far both sides are posturing, making their own bills with poison pills they know the other side won't agree to.  they do this for the publicity value, virtue signaling, knowing the bills will fail.

much like republicans tabling bills to kill obamacare every year obama is in office, knowing they won't pass or will be vetoed, yet when they gain control.... ......krickets.

anyhoo, we still have competing house and senate versions that have to be combined thru compromise, then the revised bills voted on in each house, then sent to the big man for signature or veto.  i think the latest twoot was he would veto any bill with pelosi's rainbow warrior demands included.

23 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

But Pelosi's bill is not the one that the Senate is about to pass.

I quickly ran thourgh it. It has $1200 cash payout with the same threshold $75K for single filer ($150K for married) and apparently the same $5 less for every $100 increase above $75K. Pelosi said she had support for the bill but had to check it. I guess they would have SS receipent included otherwise Pelosi and Democrats are not going to support it, I bet, and Schumer knows it. The main contention was the $500 billion slush fund. That was removed and Trump and his lackeys' businesses are specifically excluded to receive any bailout. It should be win-win for Democrats and I can think of they would exclude Scial Secirity receipents. 

Edited by Mulambana
23 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

If you didn't file a tax return on social security, you won't be eligible. 

You're correct, only people who have filed tax returns in the last two years or at least this year, would get it. Otherwise IRS does not have any clue of a person's AGI

Edited by Mulambana

do you qualify?  (senate bill version)

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/do-you-qualify-for-a-stimulus-check-in-senates-coronavirus-response-bill

if collecting SSN, tax returns not required.  they can use the address from other social security documents.

for 2018/2019 filers they use the direct deposit account from your tax return, or the address on your tax return.

**but how about expats that file using an overseas address, have already filed for 2019, and did not fill out the direct deposit account info for refunds?  do they cut a check to our overseas address, or do we call the irs?

Edited by ChouDoufu

Some SS recipients are not required to file US tax returns. The language in the Senate bill specifically states that for those people (not filling tax legitimately) that they will qualify for the cash relief. For those people the language specifically states that the government will use the info on their 2019 SSA 1099 form (the yearly statement that you get from SSA) to verify eligibility. Here are links to two videos (made in the last 12 hours) that describe this.

The question remaining is if they will disallow the check to those with a foreign address. I's say 50/50 on that...

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Mulambana said:
19 hours ago, Jingthing said:

If you didn't file a tax return on social security, you won't be eligible. 

You're correct, only people who have filed tax returns in the last two years or at least this year, would get it. Otherwise IRS does not have any clue of a person's AG

I was wrong earlier. Every body gets "helicopter money".  Yeaaaaayyyyyyyyy

Edited by Mulambana
  • Thanks 1

From the Washington Post

"The IRS said there would soon be a web-based portal for people to update their direct-deposit information." Maybe this will work.

If you use a non US address on your tax return you might be able to give the IRS your social security  banking info for direct deposit. I am also wondering if they will send me a check since my mailing address with the IRS is my Thai address. 

Latest news. It's big.

There is no need if you get s.s. to file a "basic return" if you haven't filed in 2018 or 2019.

They will have a web page to give them your banking details. I presume it must be a U.S. bank account though I'm not sure.

I'm not sure if they will be cutting checks to anyone or not. Probably yes because so many poor people living in the U.S. are totally unbanked but they could also send debit cards.

But the first part is big news.

The second part I'll believe it when I see it. 

This is one of Q&A's on IRS website.  The link is...https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payments-what-you-need-to-know

============================

I am not typically required to file a tax return. Can I still receive my payment?

Yes. The IRS will use the information on the Form SSA-1099 or Form RRB-1099 to generate Economic Impact Payments to recipients of benefits reflected in the Form SSA-1099 or Form RRB-1099 who are not required to file a tax return and did not file a return for 2018 or 2019. This includes senior citizens, Social Security recipients and railroad retirees who are not otherwise required to file a tax return.

Since the IRS would not have information regarding any dependents for these people, each person would receive $1,200 per person, without the additional amount for any dependents at this time.