Type "OA" visa extension Jomtein Beach

next week I plan to go in to IO to get my yearly extension.

Is there anything I should know about at that office? are they extreamly busy because of visa extensions?

My plan is to go in on Tuesday.

sorry I am new to posting on this forum... this is my first post

A report from yesterday that it was very very busy, and one would expect that to continue.

As you say you have an O-A Extension, do you already have qualifying insurance if it is a retirement extension?

Edited by jacko45k

4 minutes ago, Jack 0009 said:

I did not see where this is a requirement for my visa.

It looked like only for new visas not visa extensions

It is a requirement for retirement extensions based on an original O-A Visa Entry. 

25 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

It is a requirement for retirement extensions based on an original O-A Visa Entry. 

In the current circumstances you will not be able to exit and re-enter Thailand in order to switch to the Non Imm O - retirement Visa (which does not require the mandatory thai IO-approved health-insurance).

So you will have no choice but to subscribe to such a thai IO-approved health-insurance policy.

Lucky for you, since early March 2020 finally an affordable thai IO-approved health-insurance policy is on offer. LMG Insurance provides such a policy for people in the age-bracket 51-60 for a 6.000 THB first-year premium.  Content-wise that policy - as well as all other thai IO-approved policies - is totally worthless, but it can be used just to meet the health-insurance requirement when applying for an OA-extension of stay. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

In the current circumstances you will not be able to exit and re-enter Thailand in order to switch to the Non Imm O - retirement Visa (which does not require the mandatory thai IO-approved health-insurance).

So you will have no choice but to subscribe to such a thai IO-approved health-insurance policy.

Lucky for you, since early March 2020 finally an affordable thai IO-approved health-insurance policy is on offer. LMG Insurance provides such a policy for people in the age-bracket 51-60 for a 6.000 THB first-year premium.  Content-wise that policy - as well as all other thai IO-approved policies - is totally worthless, but it can be used just to meet the health-insurance requirement when applying for an OA-extension of stay. 

I do actually have health insurance but probably not Thai approved  it was wonderful when I got Dengue Fever last year and spent a week in the hospital.

I am over 60 years old though.

is there a difference between type "o" and type "OA"

I have Type "OA"

Edited by Jack 0009

Once you apply for an extension of stay there is NO difference between the application requirements and conditions of an O and an O-A Visa, except for the thai IO-approved health-insurance which is mandatory for the O-A - retirement extension and not required for the O Visa extension.

You should check with your insurer whether your present thai insurance policy is thai IO-approved.  If not, it will not be accepted for the 1-year retirement extension of your present O-A Visa.

And you will then be forced to buy a thai IO-approved health-insurance policy (like the LMG one) that meets the requirements.

Note: If you are married to a thai national, you also have the option to apply for the extension of your original Non Imm O-A Visa for reason of MARRIAGE.  The requirements are different (much lower financial requirements, but much more paperwork to meet the marriage requirements), and of course the extension for reason of MARRIAGE does not require the thai IO-approved insurance.

>> I did PM you a comprehensive guideline document outlining all details/options to apply for or convert to the Non Imm O Visa and subsequent extension.  You will probably not be able to do that now as it requires an exit/re-entry to Thailand, but at least will provide you with an overview of the options for next year's extension.

To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your profile when logged in to the Forum.

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Thanks 1