Video: Thai professor comes up with a cheap "UV light" to beat the virus

webfact

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Unfortunately, UV water purifiers need to be run in tandem with filters, otherwise nasty oocytes such as giardia and cryptosporidia visit the intestinal tract. Your travails in Buriram would feel like a week in Hoo the Hef's Playboy mansion in comparison.

Me, I keep it simple. If I want clean water, I boil it.

Our uv-water filter has 4 cartridges, the last cartridge is the one with the light inside.

4 hours ago, petedk said:

The hub of cures for all diseases.

Thailand is always first to find a cure for everything.

We are so lucky living here.

Nah, sorry, can't work: there's no magic in it, no amulets used, no monks around...

48 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Private as in a house pool? Lucky boy. My condo pool was closed today, <deleted>.

Yeah 6 of us here. All long termers. That sucks by the way. Pools are great for whiling away the time. Go look at my FB page LOL

Edited by Nyezhov

So if UV light helps kill the virus, then surely the UV light from the sun, which is quite strong these days with less pollution, can help slow down or kill the virus.

Maybe I am wrong. Maybe it's not strong enough.

1 minute ago, petedk said:

So if UV light helps kill the virus, then surely the UV light from the sun, which is quite strong these days with less pollution, can help slow down or kill the virus.

Maybe I am wrong. Maybe it's not strong enough.

UV from sunlights is affected by the effects of ozone, and the wavelengths of UV have to be 200-400 nanometers

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

UV from sunlights is affected by the effects of ozone, and the wavelengths of UV have to be 200-400 nanometers

300-400 is UVA frequenzy is considered too high,  I am not sure if its cause it causes cancer too easy?  if it was a cancer issue and worked it would be good for masks. the nail polish gel uv lights operate at UVA 300-400 and are on shoppe for around 150.  These disposable masks theres no other way of cleaning them without loosing their effectiveness. 

10 hours ago, BigT73 said:

300-400 is UVA frequenzy is considered too high,  I am not sure if its cause it causes cancer too easy?  if it was a cancer issue and worked it would be good for masks. the nail polish gel uv lights operate at UVA 300-400 and are on shoppe for around 150.  These disposable masks theres no other way of cleaning them without loosing their effectiveness. 

THe post was about the light cleaning hard surfaces

23 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

THe post was about the light cleaning hard surfaces

No the post is about UV light killing germs/viruses. As mentioned its UVC in the spectrum of 250nm, but I cant find out why UVA and UVB dont work.  UVA is in the 300-400nm spectrum.  If you had any links to your info it would be interesting.

18 minutes ago, balo said:

I wonder what WHO thinks about this great invention ? Someone should tell Trump, within a week he will order all the hospitals to use UV light so we can get rid of the nasty virus before Easter. 

Except it is only for hard surfaces, not humans, 

Edited by RJRS1301

13 minutes ago, BigT73 said:

No the post is about UV light killing germs/viruses. As mentioned its UVC in the spectrum of 250nm, but I cant find out why UVA and UVB dont work.  UVA is in the 300-400nm spectrum.  If you had any links to your info it would be interesting.

Scientists have known for decades that broad-spectrum UVC light, which has a wavelength of between 200 to 400 nanometers (nm), is highly effective at killing bacteria and viruses by destroying the molecular bonds that hold their DNA together. This conventional UV light is routinely used to decontaminate surgical equipment.

https://www.genengnews.com/topics/translational-medicine/uv-light-that-is-safe-for-humans-but-bad-for-bacteria-and-viruses/

Hospitals and dental surgeries have used it for many years

Edited by RJRS1301

15 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

But it will still kill the virus.

The sunlight/UVB-vitamin D 'relationship' might help overall health/immune response a bit?

This perfessor and his magic lightbulb looks hokey, I'd prefer that my evangelical pastor bless the virus away over the teevee.

31 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Scientists have known for decades that broad-spectrum UVC light, which has a wavelength of between 200 to 400 nanometers (nm), is highly effective at killing bacteria and viruses by destroying the molecular bonds that hold their DNA together. This conventional UV light is routinely used to decontaminate surgical equipment.

https://www.genengnews.com/topics/translational-medicine/uv-light-that-is-safe-for-humans-but-bad-for-bacteria-and-viruses/

Hospitals and dental surgeries have used it for many years

No that is still not correct,  not all UV lighting is the same.

There are 3 types of UV lighting. 

UVA in the spectrum of 3-400 not germ busting, i.e girls use this to harden nailpolish gel.

UVB also not considered germ busting and cancerous i.e sun.  this is why leaving items that have been in contact with virus in the sun is not killing germs

UVC in the spectrum of 250nm. safe on humans not to get cancer and what is being used in hospitals buses dentals etc.

I just thought you had some updated information about the other UV sources..

UVC.gif