My Frustrating Experienc With The New 30 Day Visa Rules-be Forewarned It's A Very Long Post

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a update summary.

1. You are permitted up to 90 days on visa exemption entries in a six month period.

2. The six months starts from your first entry after Oct 1st last year.

3. The period is fixed it does NOT roll.

4. If you try to enter within 30 days of the end of your 6 months you may only be permitted to stay until the end of the period NO MATTER HOW FEW OF YOUR 90 DAYS YOU'VE USED.

5. Once your first 6 months is over a new period starts and you will be able to do a border run and return with a full 30 day stamp,which is NOT a Tourist Visa as many think .

6. Example for six month period : 1.10.06 to 31.3.07 , re-enter with visa exempt on 1.4.07 , or 28.10.06 to 27.4.07, re-enter with visa exempt on 28.4.07 .

If you are not sure about the days you have spend already in the country please pm and give following specific and complete information.

Example:

1. Entry @ Airport 11.10.06 , exit @ Ban Laem 9.11.06, 30days, visa exempt

2. Entry @ Ban Laem 9.11.06, exit@ Mukdahan 8.12.06, 30 days, visa exempt

Enter @ Mukdahan 9.12.06 , exit @ Ban Laem 6.2.07 , 60days, Tourist Visa

extent in Thailand at any Immigration Office for 30days , THB 1,900.-, extension until 7.3.07 .

3.Entry @ Ban Laem 7.3.07 ,permission to stay until 5.4.07 , 30 days , visa exempt

Immigration will allow this person back into the Country with a 30day visa exempt stamp on 11.4.07.

This person has now two possibilies .

A: Get another Extension (THB 1,900.-) for 7 days at the Immigration and re-enter Thailand on the 11.4.07 with a 30day visa exempt stamp to start a new SIX-MONTH period with 3x30days border runs .

B: Apply on/before the 5.4.07 for a new Tourist Visa.

It is recommended that you apply for the extension at the Immigration Office.

A Tourist Visa will be extended for 30days.

Extension of a Visa exempt stamp and any Non Immigrant Visa will be granted for 7 days only

You can convert the 30day visa exempt stamp to a Non-Immigrant Visa by going to the Immigration Department with the proper documents and 21 day stay remaining, meaning you have up to 9 days time after your entry. Application fee THB 2,000.- .

Please note that your Passport need to be valid for at least another 6 month for any Visa application.

Further info on MFA webpage : http://www.mfa.go.th/web/12.php

All Embassies/Consulates in SEA will issue only Single Entry Tourist Visas.

UPDATE , Travellers who arrive without a Visa

are required to show a outbound Air Ticket

proving that they will depart within 30days .

THE ALIENS ENTERING KINGDOM WITH NO VISA MUST PRESENT TICKET OR TRAVEL DOCUMENTS THAT HAVE BEEN PAID ALREADY OR CONFIRMED TO EXIT THE KINGDOM

AND MUST NOT EXCEED 30DAY UPON THE DATE OF ENTRANCE TO THE KINGDOM.

It has been reported that at some border points Mae Sai and Mae Sot they are actually looking at the 6 months prior to your entry to decide on your 90 days in 180 soit is not as clear cut as this.

The question is still out to know if it is a roling or a fixed 6 months period

It has been reported that at some border points Mae Sai and Mae Sot they are actually looking at the 6 months prior to your entry to decide on your 90 days in 180 soit is not as clear cut as this.

The question is still out to know if it is a roling or a fixed 6 months period

Krub, I'm just guessing, but it may change from day to day, border crossing to border crossing. When the officer is fresh and happy, with only one person in the queue, they can use the long count or the short count (like Mayan calendars!). They can decide to use rolling periods or fixed periods, or they can invoke the 10,000 cash rule, the onward ticket rule, the hippie rule, the "Do you like Thai food?" rule, etc.

This fixed 6 month policy could massively inconveniece your two week package holidayers who happen to have 2 holidays a year (starting the 2nd just beofre the 6 montsh are up). They could be forced to do a family visa run, especially hard when they probably have no idea what a visa run is in the first place.

Perhaps the airlines and package holiday companies could put a bit of pressure on the mean rules by suggesting that anyone taking 2 holidays a year (or 2 holidays ever?) may need to obtain a tourist visa rather than risk a minimal stay granted at the airport.

I dare to disagree here. The current state of this government is such that they mess up everything they do, sometimes I concede with best intentions. They are just unable to do anything right. A cunning plan like the one you are suggesting would mean there is a mastermind behind it. Where in the world is he?

You mean... "them" ? :o

They are in charge.

Before september Coup, they were in charge too.

But now they feel fully backed by the state apparatus.

It's basically : the nationalist/conservator/elit core of Thailand.

You need to connect all the dots.

One example : new rules for visas. Okay. And then 6 month after, they start to apply the rule (old) about the outbound ticket. Why to take the risk to create even more mess ? There is a will. A guy took this decision.

Actually, I see a lot of doigté and finesse in the process.

The idea, is to proceed slowly, step by step. Basically, you can't say, even if you are an arrogant thai politician : "go f...k yourself. We have decided that we have reached the limit regarding the number of foreigners who live in Thailand".

And you have to save some strategic interests, AKA the real and normal tourists (good for business).

You need to be delusive and elusive. And because you know that your own troops are, for the most part, totally disorientated and low level, you know that your decisions will create even more uncertainty, uncertainty that is a great tactical advantage.

Just think about what could be the situation in let's say 2 years : well... target reached !

Slowly but surely, foreigners will have digest the new regulations... Without too much fuss.

I really believe this is not TIT. The thai authorities are using the TIT factor, as a diversion, to help to achieve their goals.

Remember the word of Miss Tarisa, BOT chief : Jan. 16 (Bloomberg) -- The Bank of Thailand deliberately created "uncertainty'' in the foreign exchange market to drive out speculators from Japan and the U.S. when it imposed curbs on investment, Governor Tarisa Watanagase said.

And from my point of view, the master plan is much broader. Once again, connect the dots.

-military took power

-amendement of Foreign Business Act

-censorship

-a new constitution

I think it's clear. It's all about control.

As for the visas situation... They did the investment visa, the retirement visa, the visa exemption. Once again a constant will...

I won't surprised if the next step was... the tourist visas. The next "rule" could be : no more back to back tourist visas. The process will be then... achieved.

This is a subject that always fascinates me. In a developing country like Thailand, can there ever be "too many foreigners"?

After all ,these'foreigners usually have adequate funds either inside the Kingdom or accessible via ATM.

Many foreigners are supporting Thai families and participate in the local economy of their home towns, wherever they are in Thailand.

I agree there are probably thousands of dodgy characters and criminal types but this xenophobic attitude that seems to be the current fashion is surely not in the long term interests of The Kingdom. After all 'immigrants' traditionally have contributed to the wealth and development of numerous countries (USA,Canada, UK, Australia,N.Z.etc)

I realise that Thailand is a small country but there aren't millions of people lining up to come here. In fact there ought to be a plan that if a British man wants to come here, a Thai could take his place in the U.K. (for how long-no-one knows)

One can only hope that at some point in the not too distant future, the ability to stay in this country will be made easier by the enlightened :D members of the government.

I would love to know how P.M. Surayud and General Sonthi feel about all this. :D

Edited by ratcatcher

my first entry is oct 4 2006. my 6 month period ends on april 3, 2007 give or take a few days.

it shouldnt matter how many days i stayed in thailand in my first 6 months, one would think.

i come back to thailand april 10, knowing im going to get a full 30 days visa exempt entry. the lady says i can have 2 days.

unfortunately this officer works at suwaanna poom.......lol..........airport. dark skin issan type thin woman. you might want to avoid her.

i agree with 2jim we all are just speculating that they dont know what they are doing. they all seem highly confidant in looking like they know what they doing........

no offense to anyone but now i understand why noone takes thailand seriously.(when i say noone, i mean other countries). thailand to the rest of the world is just one big adult playground. I LOVE IT.

just add 300$ to your vacation budget just in case you have to get tourist visa from neighboring country. after all this is thailand, enjoy it for what it is.

be happy it aint hong kong, which it could be if they get their house straightened out.

Edited by blizzard

unfortunately this officer works at suwaanna poom.......lol..........airport. dark skin issan type thin woman. you might want to avoid her.

Sounds like the one who wouldn't (initially) let me enter at all, and I have NO visa exemption entries (just an expired visa). She was cute and polite though :o

be happy it aint hong kong, which it could be if they get their house straightened out.

What's wrong with Hong Kong? Other than that before it was probably quite easy to stay there if you were British and now that they have their own government and rules it's not? Just wondering how hard it would be to stay in Hong Kong compared to Thailand. Is Thailand actually still easier?

I believe that it is really important for everyone on the forums to understand the situation we are now in in Thailand. Too often I read posts here and see such divisivenes with people trying to put down others who are in different situtions here, but we need to realize that in the end we are all in the same boat here; we are all foreigners and in some ways fundamentally outsiders no matter how much we try to conform to the norms here.

Very true. The rules are changing rapidly and at the end of the day we're all foreigners. No room for high horses here.

This must be one of the most overused and condescending statements used in T.V.

Someone else suggesting we just bend over and take it.

Naka

What else can we do?????

Edit: 500,000 farangs marching to comlain in BKK. I suggest you would not even manage to organize 50 people. And I would certainly not be one of them......

Edited by mpdkorat

Here is a update summary.

1. You are permitted up to 90 days on visa exemption entries in a six month period.

2. The six months starts from your first entry after Oct 1st last year.

3. The period is fixed it does NOT roll.

4. If you try to enter within 30 days of the end of your 6 months you may only be permitted to stay until the end of the period NO MATTER HOW FEW OF YOUR 90 DAYS YOU'VE USED.

5. Once your first 6 months is over a new period starts and you will be able to do a border run and return with a full 30 day stamp,which is NOT a Tourist Visa as many think .

6. Example for six month period : 1.10.06 to 31.3.07 , re-enter with visa exempt on 1.4.07 , or 28.10.06 to 27.4.07, re-enter with visa exempt on 28.4.07 .

If you are not sure about the days you have spend already in the country please pm and give following specific and complete information.

Example:

1. Entry @ Airport 11.10.06 , exit @ Ban Laem 9.11.06, 30days, visa exempt

2. Entry @ Ban Laem 9.11.06, exit@ Mukdahan 8.12.06, 30 days, visa exempt

Enter @ Mukdahan 9.12.06 , exit @ Ban Laem 6.2.07 , 60days, Tourist Visa

extent in Thailand at any Immigration Office for 30days , THB 1,900.-, extension until 7.3.07 .

3.Entry @ Ban Laem 7.3.07 ,permission to stay until 5.4.07 , 30 days , visa exempt

Immigration will allow this person back into the Country with a 30day visa exempt stamp on 11.4.07.

This person has now two possibilies .

A: Get another Extension (THB 1,900.-) for 7 days at the Immigration and re-enter Thailand on the 11.4.07 with a 30day visa exempt stamp to start a new SIX-MONTH period with 3x30days border runs .

B: Apply on/before the 5.4.07 for a new Tourist Visa.

It is recommended that you apply for the extension at the Immigration Office.

A Tourist Visa will be extended for 30days.

Extension of a Visa exempt stamp and any Non Immigrant Visa will be granted for 7 days only

You can convert the 30day visa exempt stamp to a Non-Immigrant Visa by going to the Immigration Department with the proper documents and 21 day stay remaining, meaning you have up to 9 days time after your entry. Application fee THB 2,000.- .

Please note that your Passport need to be valid for at least another 6 month for any Visa application.

Further info on MFA webpage : http://www.mfa.go.th/web/12.php

All Embassies/Consulates in SEA will issue only Single Entry Tourist Visas.

UPDATE , Travellers who arrive without a Visa

are required to show a outbound Air Ticket

proving that they will depart within 30days .

THE ALIENS ENTERING KINGDOM WITH NO VISA MUST PRESENT TICKET OR TRAVEL DOCUMENTS THAT HAVE BEEN PAID ALREADY OR CONFIRMED TO EXIT THE KINGDOM

AND MUST NOT EXCEED 30DAY UPON THE DATE OF ENTRANCE TO THE KINGDOM.

My first entry at Ban Laem was October 20, 2006, that's mean my first period of 6 months was ended on 19 April, 2007, am I right? And I able to enter Thailand again on April 20, 2007 with Visa Exampt for 30 days (for the second period of 6 months)?

Please help me !

Hmm.

Had a silly note (I cannot read thai) under my stamp yesterday. Will get someone to read it to me so I can understand tomorrow, maybe also scan and post. When quizzing the Immigration Officer (in thai) about what he had written, he made no sense really, saying it was my first time!?! Since I had more than 50 stamps in the book, 9-odd since October, I thought this an unlikely translation of his scribe. :D This may have been a face-saver when met with a barrage of machine-gun thai from me after I examined the passport once handed back... :o

If your first visa exempt entry was early October, before about the 14th, it very likely was a notation that you have used the first entry of a new six month period.

It was (the 4th of October), so guess you are right. I think that I 'went on the attack' perhaps too soon with the poor bloke. Maybe thats why he stammered and wobbled at my diatribe!! :o

Poor bloke must have wondered why I was so het-up about good news!!

On a more serious point, this, I guess, definitively throws out any idea of a rolling 6-month period, in favour of 6-month blocks running Oct - Mar and April to Oct?

I left Suvarnabhumi just a few hours ago and had a really strange experience at immigrations. Firstly, they have a new brochure on the counter of each cubicle outlining the new visa rules and in particular the 90 day in 180 day thing. When I get to where I am going I will scan one and post it here.

The unusual bit was that I am on a three year non-imm B that expired in March this year. I have no Visa on entry stamps in my passport. They told me, and their english was as poor as my thai, not to come back without a new non-immigrant B. They asked if I had a work permit (affirmative) and then told me I could not get a tourist or visa on entry. Without a non B, dont come back.

Will scan the brochure and post later.

I left Suvarnabhumi just a few hours ago and had a really strange experience at immigrations. Firstly, they have a new brochure on the counter of each cubicle outlining the new visa rules and in particular the 90 day in 180 day thing. When I get to where I am going I will scan one and post it here.

The unusual bit was that I am on a three year non-imm B that expired in March this year. I have no Visa on entry stamps in my passport. They told me, and their english was as poor as my thai, not to come back without a new non-immigrant B. They asked if I had a work permit (affirmative) and then told me I could not get a tourist or visa on entry. Without a non B, dont come back.

Will scan the brochure and post later.

Yes - come to think of it I was offered the brochure and threw it back whilst my rant was in full swing (well his writing was in red...). Regrettable now, but if you post the contents, that would be good!

bkkandrew' date='2007-04-14 21:48:23' post='1251795'][Yes - come to think of it I was offered the brochure and threw it back whilst my rant was in full swing (well his writing was in red...). Regrettable now, but if you post the contents, that would be good!

:o

i wouldnt count on it. i was in a similair situation and was given 2 days.

hey fellas, i was trying to come up with a little table as an aid for these immigration folks counting up the days for this 1st 6 month period. i heard some people say previously they had made such a thing but i've never seen it. anyway, i banged this thing up on wordpad. any suggestions, improvements, etc.,? it's a first draft attempt. i think any sort of visual tool for these people is probably helpful.

immigform.rtf

Edited by cali4995

really rediculous what happened to the OP.I just cannot believe that they changed the rules for people like him to make it uncomfortable to enter......Then you read in the papers thay want this and that many tourists and this and that investment,very clearly this government are so incompetent nobody can even guess.It is unheard of,the Thai people are being robbed,they do not know what is going on ,they love the farang,Los is being pressed and it will take time to recover,hope the democrats will win and that the focus will be with internal problems,the external thing bring much needed money....oh ohoh Thailand panai?

... I quote form precedent post "they love the farang", well, not quite my experience, some do though...

anyway, to cut those endless discutions about our necessity and how we help thailand, does anybody actually have some kind of figures showing, estimating, how much money coming from abroad is spent by perpetual tourists and expats in thailand ? because I'm one of those perpetual tourists and not so rich, so I suffer a lot from those new regulations as well,but I still objectively seriously doubt thai economy would suffer much would we all go back home.some families would.

don't know though, but would like to.

On a more serious point, this, I guess, definitively throws out any idea of a rolling 6-month period, in favour of 6-month blocks running Oct - Mar and April to Oct?

A lot of people are jumping to that conclusion. As this is only the second 6-month period of a new system they may just be stamping this way to make life easier until such time as a computerized system is in place.

Good Idea!

Lets do something like that.

e could do up some signs in thai about the rasism and the amount of money we bring into the country and childish treatment of rich white foreigners.

I bought a house here 2 years ago and since then changed to 30 year lease. the 3x30 year lease is just a lie, another thai trick that they screw us over on.

I'm so embarrassed by Thais now, i really am.

Anyway I earn about 800,000 a year from back in England have a house here but am still treated like a black in america a hundred years ago.

I always tell them back home when asked ever to come her to go to any other asian country instead. They are all about the same except for the blatant racism and fake childish lies and scams in thailand are worse.

If it wasn't for the long term girl i would never set foot in this rasist place again. maybe we will break up soon and i'll be free, free i tell you, free.

Embarrassing Thailand. Embarrassed for them.

im not a fan of the face thing as it applies to thais.

but helping them doing their job is implying they dont know what they are doing, i cant think of anything more insulting to an employee.

they don't know how to do their job, that's the problem. we have repeated reports coming in about discrepancies in this days counting process. i'm always polite and dress respectfully when i go before immigration. of course you should be tactful. some people have indicated they brought a spreadsheet with them and it was invaluable in discussing the issue with the immigration officer who was not making a favorable decision. i just thought some type of standardized form would be helpful. to each his own.

Edited by cali4995