My Frustrating Experienc With The New 30 Day Visa Rules-be Forewarned It's A Very Long Post

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Rip there heads off and shove it down there throats!'? ...

Yep, I was dressed fairly neatly but not too neatly, and I was fairly quiet but yes, you could say I got a bit pushy after I was told only an air ticket was acceptable. After all, like the people booking tickets to Penang, if I am not going to use the ticket, what is the difference between a bus or a plane? As far as I can see, only the price. However, being in Thailand long enough has trained me never to swear or raise my voice, and to always try to smile in a bad situation. You only need to try otherwise once to know what happens.

Another thing I should have mentioned was the tricky situation I might have been in if I had not stamped and simply gone back to Bangkok to try in Laos or somewhere else. Into Aranyaprathet, we passed through a military roadblock where a military officer boarded the bus and checked everyone's passport. He carefully checked the visa stamps in mine. Going out of Aranyaprathet, the same thing. I looked out of the window at the camouflaged building but could not see any foreigners there. So I cannot say what would have happened if I had the stamp out of date. Probably a heavy fine. I guess the recommendation is: don't wait until the last day.

As StateSix posited about the lady who would not let me through, I had a feeling that she was being kind, despite shouting at me, since she knew that I would just get stuck in the no man's land between countries. She had indicated to another guy she had turned away that this was the case. She had smiled in the end, but her counterpart officer in Thai arrivals had more stars on her shoulder and did not smile, scarcely even looking up. I judged her to be harsher, especially considering the rejected looking people scattered about the arrivals room. To let people sit and rot like that, when in reality they have done nothing wrong, is to treat them as animals in my opinion, although immigration departments are hardly famous for their humanity.

It may well be the case that your fate depends on who is manning the desk that day.

If only the changes had been communicated properly, these problems could have been mitigated. But then, why bother actually telling people that things have changed, when you can simply blame the people it affects most severely for not finding out.

Despite all this, I should also say that compared to my experiences in other countries, Thailand is still pretty easy when it comes to immigration.

My recommendation: avoid Aranyaprathet / Poipet for now.

well if i reading correctly what you wrote i still stand behind the rip off there heads formula.

you see ive been to that border crossing an incredibly lot. and have had long talks that time peaceuflly in full thai with the boss on the way out. that time i did see 6 different people all be told that if you leave you wont be coming back any time soon. there were also being yelled at. for what did they deserve that? nope everything youve learned in the past how to talk to thais nice here does not at all apply in this situation. ive seen so many people totally fucckked over many stranded both there and also the burma border. they tried to be nice they begged. where did it get them just more of the get the ###### out of my country.

why the f should i allow some monkey at imm with a comparable grade 2 education talk down to me and treat me like a piece of human garbage.

they tried. then to there great surprise i hammered back. they totally crumbled. i got my visa.

in case you still have failed to realize the new policies of them have nothing to do with lets gets people to follow the rules. they are done solley for the purpose of riding the country of every single non thai that they can. full stop. why did they change the work permit rules 5 times in 2 years? it was leaked they did not make it hard enough for westerners to work here. this is the same. i am sure.

and just what kind of sick person would come down hard on expats with family here? i know of many here now in dire straits. just what does that help?

'Rip there heads off and shove it down there throats!'? ...

Yep, I was dressed fairly neatly but not too neatly, and I was fairly quiet but yes, you could say I got a bit pushy after I was told only an air ticket was acceptable. After all, like the people booking tickets to Penang, if I am not going to use the ticket, what is the difference between a bus or a plane? As far as I can see, only the price. However, being in Thailand long enough has trained me never to swear or raise my voice, and to always try to smile in a bad situation. You only need to try otherwise once to know what happens.

Another thing I should have mentioned was the tricky situation I might have been in if I had not stamped and simply gone back to Bangkok to try in Laos or somewhere else. Into Aranyaprathet, we passed through a military roadblock where a military officer boarded the bus and checked everyone's passport. He carefully checked the visa stamps in mine. Going out of Aranyaprathet, the same thing. I looked out of the window at the camouflaged building but could not see any foreigners there. So I cannot say what would have happened if I had the stamp out of date. Probably a heavy fine. I guess the recommendation is: don't wait until the last day.

As StateSix posited about the lady who would not let me through, I had a feeling that she was being kind, despite shouting at me, since she knew that I would just get stuck in the no man's land between countries. She had indicated to another guy she had turned away that this was the case. She had smiled in the end, but her counterpart officer in Thai arrivals had more stars on her shoulder and did not smile, scarcely even looking up. I judged her to be harsher, especially considering the rejected looking people scattered about the arrivals room. To let people sit and rot like that, when in reality they have done nothing wrong, is to treat them as animals in my opinion, although immigration departments are hardly famous for their humanity.

It may well be the case that your fate depends on who is manning the desk that day.

If only the changes had been communicated properly, these problems could have been mitigated. But then, why bother actually telling people that things have changed, when you can simply blame the people it affects most severely for not finding out.

Despite all this, I should also say that compared to my experiences in other countries, Thailand is still pretty easy when it comes to immigration.

My recommendation: avoid Aranyaprathet / Poipet for now.

Did you ask your NYC Thai Embassy for a one year Non-Imm 0 Visa? I am from a western state that does not have a Thai Embassy or Consulate...I used to make Visa runs or went to a neighboring country to get a Tourist Visa...but while I was back in the US this last December I sent off my Passport to a neighboring western state that had an Honorary Thai consulate...I downloaded the application off of the internet sent it along with a MO for 125.00 for a multiple entry visa and a pre-filled out and paid US Airmail Express Overnight Envelope...it arrived at their office on Jan 2nd I received it back with the multiple entry visa stamp on Jan. 5th...no other documentation required...for the explanation of why I was applying I put "Considering Retirement Options" I think that if you were under 50 and put Considering Investment and Business Opportunities it would not have been a problem either...if you need any other info PM me.