Three seriously injured after huge construction crane collapses in Pattaya

webfact

Three seriously injured after huge construction crane collapses in Pattaya 

91125276_986767791720285_8270128994972598272_n.jpg

Pictures: Siamchon News

Three people have been seriously injured after a construction crane collapsed and fell onto residential buildings in Naklua on Friday morning.

The incident happened around 10.30am near Soi Esso and Soi Sukhumvit Pattaya.

Three people - including a 12 year old boy - suffered serious injuries and were rushed to hospital for treatment. 

90851741_986767858386945_6491375109742264320_n.jpg

The crane was being used in the construction of a large project located next to the residential buildings it collapsed on to. 

An investigation has been launched into what caused the crane to collapse. 

Source: Siamchon News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-03-27

90794147_986767811720283_5482967404831047680_n.jpg

90907029_986767891720275_453030521862094848_n.jpg

1 hour ago, ChrisY1 said:

I think that maybe the base of the tower crane...which looks like < 12" embedment in the concrete base..one of the tower chords is bent by the ladder. 

If right, then it's any wonder it fell.....again, no expertise ever in this industry!

17 hours ago, Leaver said:

If that's what happens to the crane, you an imagine how well the building is made. 

I'm not an engineer, but seems obvious the legs not deep enough into concrete base, but look at the concrete base, fell apart like biscuits. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 2

And how the workers... are practising "social distancing" ?

The inane government prevent us to... do gym in a sport room, inside a private condo (rules !) but outside, a dozen meters away, workers on roads/bridges projects are still... working, eating and even sleeping (nap) together.

And those are public construction projects.

Ah sorry.... I forgot... those workers are not human... Merely biorobots because they come from Burma, Lao etc.

hmmm .... scary stuff.  It appears the base where the four steel supports are embedded have given way and the concrete holding the base has let go causing the crane to topple.

One ask's,  was the load placed on the crane at that time ' over the limit '  of the crane safety parameters.

I suspect so ... 

33 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I'm not an engineer, but seems obvious the legs not deep enough into concrete base, but look at the concrete base, fell apart like biscuits. 

After looking at the size of the crane and the fact that it's fallen over I suspect the where the end of the crane shown in the photo may not be anywhere near the actual base.I also notice a lot of rubbish around the end of the crane like used takeaway bowls bits of lumber and bits of what looks like spill over concrete slopped around when wet but nothing that looks like broken poured concrete.I recognise these things because I've worked on projects like this for over thirty years as a busted @rsed survey assistant.Yet after further looking it does appear that one of the supports may still be attached to the base and bent and not severed as the other three supports appear to be.

Edited by FarFlungFalang

10 hours ago, scorecard said:

Which makes you think maybe the footings of the building are not deep into the bedrock, also. ????

On 3/28/2020 at 8:05 PM, spiekerjozef said:

incompetence

Wish I had the complete (death) count for falling cranes in Thailand.

Very well remember one with a fatality not far from Wong Amat/Naklua.

Others falling on roads with lucky/unlucky outcome.

Etc.pp.

Care for some thread titles from the last few years?

• No charges for Phuket condo contractor as police deem fatal crane collapse an ‘accident’
  • Crane falls on cars, obstructs rail line
  • Korat: Crane driver crushed to death by rocks as his crane collapses
  • Engineers Face Charges After Bangkok Crane Collapse Kills 5
  • Falling crane parts kill 4, injure 2
  • 78 Year old Brit escapes with his life during Crane Crash in North Pattaya
  • Fallen crane causes traffic jams on Bangkok ring road
  • Falling Crane Severs Worker’s Leg

On 3/28/2020 at 9:25 AM, steven100 said:

hmmm .... scary stuff.  It appears the base where the four steel supports are embedded have given way and the concrete holding the base has let go causing the crane to topple.

One ask's,  was the load placed on the crane at that time ' over the limit '  of the crane safety parameters.

I suspect so ... 

next time you stop at traffic  lights have a look at  the lorries  wheels, many time bald  patches thru with the canvas/plys  showing its extremely  common.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2020 at 11:42 AM, ChrisY1 said:

I think that maybe the base of the tower crane...which looks like < 12" embedment in the concrete base..one of the tower chords is bent by the ladder. 

If right, then it's any wonder it fell.....again, no expertise ever in this industry!

You shouldnt embed the first vertical section into the foundations, you embed the support brackets that attach to the first section enabling them to have sufficient embedded depth to restrain the designed rotational moment and easier to level.

However, this is Thailand and anything possible !

• Like 1