Anyone Flown Out Of Heathrow Lately?

Blake7

I will be making a one night stop over at heathrow next month and plan to only take hand luggage.

Does anyone know if they still have these ridiculous restrictions on hand luggage? everything in a small see through plastic bag etc or have these requirements been dropped?

I was in and out of LHR a couple of weeks ago. The restriction that causes the most problem is that you are permitted only ONE piece of hand luggage, regardless of what it is and regardless of what class you are traveling in. And everything in your hands counts. In other words, if a woman is carrying a purse, that's her one piece of hand luggage. If a man has a camera in a case, that's his one piece of hand luggage. The US rule of 'one piece plus a personal item' seems to be nearly universal, but not in the UK. One piece. Period.

Thanks for the topic. I'll be going through Heathrow twice in May and June, including two **** overnights. I guess I can put all the liquids in the checked luggage when I leave Moscow or Shannon, and arrive at my next destination unshaven, with my old Wal-Mart backpack.

I assume Heathrow is still one of the most expensive, least accomodating airports in the world - no useable internet, no comfy seats to sleep on, etc. - right?

When I passed through Gatwick enroute to Thailand last October I had a laptop bag and a camera... only one bag was the rule.... so had to stuff the camera (SLR size) into the laptop bag....just managed it but my coat pockets looked like Fagins hoard.

This time I'd doing Heathrow to BKK on 4th May so I have bought a new bag that will take the laptop, the camera and bits and pieces easily.

No creams, liquids, pastes etc so my first stop will be a Boots or Watsons in BKK.... make that my second stop after a few beers at the Roadhouse

I flew from Heathrow to Bangkok last night (Thursday) and you cant bring water through the security checkpoint. You can bring other items such as aerosols and gels like toothpaste and hairgel so long as there is less than 100ml in each container when it is full. This is important as I saw people having cans of deodorant removed from them because they hold more than 100ml !

Definitely invest in the travel containers you now pick up just about anywhere. They are 100mL so they are perfect for shampoo etc. You can also get shaving cream, deoderant, cologne etc in "travel sizes." Depending on how long you are staying, these should last a good week. Trying to get everything in to a quart size bag can be an ordeal though.

Turning the topic onto its' base now..... any restrictions on carry on at Swampyboon?? Given that it is still a major SE Asian hub with direct flights to Europe have they adopted any of the tactics that Jakarta and other have taken. What about pax transiting through BKK enroute Europe? Some European airports are taking Duty Free etc off pax transiting through enroute.....

cant speak for Heathrow, I flew from Schiphol i january I took no liguids or gels or foams got some water from a drinks dispenser after security checks,

When I got to bangkok went to boots in the airport stocked up deodarent,sun block,

aftersun, toothpaste,shaving foam,showergel had a big bag of stuff

went to the thai air transfer desk checked in and went through all the checks

and they did not even look at my liquid stuff.