Covid 19 - Letter from US Consulate to extend Visa

MrKFC

Yes, I need a bit of help also. Last week someone had posted those here as a Tourist just needed to go to IO and you would get a 30 day extension. Has this changed ?  I will be going to IO before April 8th, so if someone can tell me what exactly i need to have or take with me, that would be great. I did have a marriage Visa, but changed to a Tourist (long story) and have been doing the Laos run and Immigration Ofiice thing. Do I need a TM 30? I have never done a TM30 before. A letter from the Hotel? ect?

Thanks greatly in advance....these are strange times we live in.

1 hour ago, TPUBON said:

Is this letter for people visiting or expats living here?

The LETTER from the US Embassy - American Citizens Services now has your Full Name, Passport Number & Birthdate. However this LETTER is useless you are here in Thailand on a Tourist Visa or Exemption Entry or an Extension thereof. The phraseology used only references Tourist or Exemption stay. This LETTER will not allow an Extension for an Expat here on a Non Imm. Multi-Entry B or O Visa otherwise needing a Border Bounce to get another 90 days. Sampling posts from many online venues shows I/Os will deny an Extension for American  Non Imms every time. If there is an exception I could not find it. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JDGRUEN said:

The LETTER from the US Embassy - American Citizens Services now has your Full Name, Passport Number & Birthdate. However this LETTER is useless you are here in Thailand on a Tourist Visa or Exemption Entry or an Extension thereof. The phraseology used only references Tourist or Exemption stay. This LETTER will not allow an Extension for an Expat here on a Non Imm. Multi-Entry B or O Visa otherwise needing a Border Bounce to get another 90 days. Sampling posts from many online venues shows I/Os will deny an Extension for American  Non Imms every time. If there is an exception I could not find it. 

Thanks, you explained well.

• Like 1

Someone posted this last week, "Letters are not required for V.O.A or tourist visa just go and apply.pay the fee." Is this not true?  And if so, what can we do if we cannot fly back to USA or travel into another country to get our Passport stamped? Thankyou inn advance

1 hour ago, smilemaker said:

Someone posted this last week, "Letters are not required for V.O.A or tourist visa just go and apply.pay the fee." Is this not true?  And if so, what can we do if we cannot fly back to USA or travel into another country to get our Passport stamped? Thankyou inn advance

For Visa on Arrival you can extend once for another 30 days by just going to immigration and paying the fee. After that you would have to go with the U.S. Embassy letter and try again after your second 30 days is up.

I came here on a V.O.A. and have already extended for another 30 days on March 20th, so on or before April 20th I have to try using the U.S. Embassy letter to get another 30 days if I need it. The first 30 day extension is no problem at all, people do it all of the time.

1 hour ago, runamok27 said:

For Visa on Arrival you can extend once for another 30 days by just going to immigration and paying the fee. After that you would have to go with the U.S. Embassy letter and try again after your second 30 days is up.

I came here on a V.O.A. and have already extended for another 30 days on March 20th, so on or before April 20th I have to try using the U.S. Embassy letter to get another 30 days if I need it. The first 30 day extension is no problem at all, people do it all of the time.

I’m doing my first ever 30 day extension on an METV. Do I need a letter from my hotel saying that I’m staying there?... I’ve heard conflicting info or maybe I misunderstood and it was a different type of visa.

thanks in advance 

I just spent an hour going through step.state.gov. Here's a few tips.

If possible, do it on a desktop/laptop. The mobile site is broken. I filled in all the info and it wouldn't let me finish. But now I'm out here in the country and only brought my phone. I was able to tell Google Chrome to "request desktop site", and finished it through there.

When you do it through desktop, you'll see a lot of stuff that was missing from the mobile site, like where you've been traveling and duration of your stay. I gave the date I first arrived in Thailand, and checked the box saying my stay is indefinite. Then I gave my wife's parents' place as my primary address here, my mom's address as emergency contact back home, and contact info for each. Put full phone numbers with +66 for Thailand and +1 for back home.

Also, it's picky about passwords, and the mobile site doesn't tell you. Upper case, lower case, numbers, and one special character must be used. Then it finally worked.

1 hour ago, runamok27 said:

The first 30 day extension is no problem at all, people do it all of the time.

If you're not in a hotel, you'll need signed photocopies of the tabien baan and ID card of whoever's place you're staying at, such as your family or friend's.

Edited by CrunchWrapSupreme
Typos