Renew Retirement Visa - based on 65K x 12

2 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

There are some posts ... but they are difficult to dig out.   For example post#5 in this thread:  

I recall reading a small number of other success sorties as well, but it would take time to dig them out.  I did not book mark them (I found the above doing a google search via the following search criteria:  " "type oa" "marriage" site:https://forum.thaivisa.com/  "

It's officially ok to change the reason for the extension from based on retirement to marriage,but several immigration offices don't like the paperwork needed for the extension based on marriage. So,they keep saying it's not possible. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

There are some posts ... but they are difficult to dig out.   For example post#5 in this thread by user tango sierra:  

I recall reading a small number of other success stories as well, but it would take time to dig them out.  I did not book mark them (I found the above doing a google search via the following search criteria:  " "type oa" "marriage" site:https://forum.thaivisa.com/  "

I know of a couple of cases of successful applications for a 1-year extension of stay based on an original O-A Visa for reason of MARRIAGE.  And those applying for that reason (and meeting the marriage-extension requirements) were NOT required to have the thai IO-approved health-insurance.

One successful application I know of was at Chiang Mai IO.

There are more, but it would take me some time to 'delve them up'.

For sure @ubonjoe will know of additional successful cases.

Note: An unsuccessful one was at Petchabun IO (the IO was willing to process the application for a 1-year extension of stay of the original O-A Visa for reason of marriage, but insisted - totally incorrect of course - that also in that case health-insurance was required, and so the OA Visa-holder made a border-run in order to convert to a Non Imm O Visa.

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

... AND when you are applying for that 1-year extension based on your original O-A Visa for reason of RETIREMENT.

When you are applying for a different reason (e.g. marriage / dependant child) the requirements are different and the health-insurance will NOT be required (see also Ubonjoe's post #18).

That's exactly what I wrote,so what are you commenting? 

• Confused 1

On 4/1/2020 at 1:18 PM, Morning Person said:

I have been asking people on various forums if anyone has extended their O-A Visa based upon marriage for the last 6 months and, I have had no replies.

Can anyone respond with some encouragement concerning Thai Medical Insurance, needed, yes or no based upon marriage extension. My concern is that I am too old (72) to obtain required Insurance.

Further to the above, I fear that there may be an inconsistent approach applied by different Immigration Offices.  For example, I note this on the Phuket Immigration volunteer site, which notes if one is married to a Thai, then the health insurance is not required  http://piv-phuket.com/long-stay-extensions/retirement/  where it states in the 'longstay retirement section (I have retyped it) :

Medical Insurance:

If the retirement extension is based on a original Non-OA visa (Issued at the Thai Embassy in your home country) then a medical insurance has to be shown and included in the extension based on retirement.

Please use the following link https://longstay.tgia.org to get more information about the required health insurance and the accepted health insurance companies.

If the retirement extension is based on a (single entry) Non-O visa or from a conversion from Non-B or a extension based on marriage etc then the health insurance is NOT required for the extension based retirement application.

where I highlighted in bold the salient entry for extension based on marriage being an exception to the Type-OA requirement for health insurance. Mind you this is the Phuket immigration office policy according to the support volunteers.

Health Insurance

wrt health insurance, I believe it is possible to get such at age-72.  Peter Denis has made some posts pointing this out.  LMG Insurance offers insurance with an entry age up to age-75, and then coverage up to age-100 (as long as one registers before age-76).  Lowest cost ~11,400 for someone your age (from what I have read) for mostly worthless insurance, and if one pays more one can get insurance that is actually worth something.  Of course if one already has good international health insurance then one in the age 70-to-75 age group can consider the LG ~11,400 thai-baht 'worthless' option if one is not married to a Thai person.  https://www.lmginsurance.co.th/en/Products/Pages/Universal-Longstayvisa.aspx

Edited by oldcpu

8 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

That's exactly what I wrote,so what are you commenting? 

I am sorry but that's NOT what you wrote.

You wrote:

On 4/2/2020 at 9:51 AM, Max69xl said:

The health insurance is only mandatory when having an O-A Long Term Visa obtained in your home country, issued after October 31 2019, and for a 1 year extension based on an initial O-A Visa. 

You did not mention that it is only required when applying for an extension of stay for reason of RETIREMENT.

And so I added my comment that when applying for a different reason (e.g. marriage / dependant child) that the health-insurance is NOT required.

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

I am sorry but that's NOT what you wrote.

You wrote:

You did not mention that it is only required when applying for an extension of stay for reason of RETIREMENT.

And so I added my comment that when applying for a different reason (e.g. marriage / dependant child) that the health-insurance is NOT required.

An O-A is a retirement visa only and when extending it 1 year, it's still based on retirement. Understand? If changing the reason for the extension to based on marriage, it's no longer an O-A based on retirement. So,no need to mention the health insurance,because there's no need for an insurance when extending it based on marriage. You're just complicating the explanation your way.  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

An O-A is a retirement visa only and when extending it 1 year, it's still based on retirement. Understand? If changing the reason for the extension to based on marriage, it's no longer an O-A based on retirement. So,no need to mention the health insurance,because there's no need for an insurance when extending it based on marriage. You're just complicating the explanation your way.  

Yes of course I understand.  I don't even know why I bother to answer to your ridiculous and incorrect explanation.  Maybe to warn TVF members to take your one-liner messages with more than a grain of salt?

Get it?