Thailand reports 136 new COVID-19 cases

webfact

Thailand reports 136 new COVID-19 cases

s2.reutersmedia.jpg

REUTERS File photo

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand saw 136 new coronavirus cases on Monday, raising the total number of infections to 1,524, said the spokesman of the government's Center for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA).

Infections in Thailand are likely to keep rising, and recently new cases have been reported more in the provinces than in the Thai capital, Bangkok, spokesman Taweesin Wisanuyothin said.

No new deaths were reported, and the overall death toll stood at seven since the outbreak began in January.

(Reporting by Panarat Thepgumpanat and Patpicha Tanakasempipat)

This is a developing story. 

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-03-30

18 minutes ago, webfact said:

Infections in Thailand are likely to keep rising, and recently new cases have been reported more in the provinces than in the Thai capital

that's an easy understandable conclusion.... all the workers that went back to their home town didn't traveled alone, most of them carry the virus with them, wait a couple days more and numbers will jump again.... great and tremendous actions/decisions by the government, nothing to worry about all under control (sarcastic point)

• Like 2

If you look at the whole world there are only a few countries at present getting absolutely hammered by this.

HK still only has 4 deaths

Singapore - 3 deaths

Japan - 130 million people and only 54 deaths

Every country using different testing levels and cause of death.

Hard to work out at the moment if this is worth closing the world down for

23 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Over 2000 by end of the wk. Maybe more. It depends how they are testing and assigning cause of death. Heard that Germany is putting cause of death down to underlying conditions. If you get the virus and that complicates the uderlying condition that leads to death then it's the underlying condition that killed you. The fact that this would not have happened if you did not get the virus doesn't matter. Germany as of yesterday: 62,465 cases with 541 deaths. Anyway I still think Thailand's numbers do not reflect what's happening. Back to Don't test. Don't tell. And also how are they determining cause of death. Still where i am there's high 90% wearing masks. The next couple of wk should show if this is flattening out. Of course if there was more much testing we would be seeing a different picture.

Read that aswell. I believe it was on The Express. Their other article was that they found an Alien skull on Mars that looked suspiciously a lot like an ordinary rock ????

Covid-19 has a very distinctive death. You choke. You cannot simply put that down to another cause than Covid-19. I have a feeling that other countries question the numbers of Germany (aswell as the USA), due to the low death numbers. Truth is that they just test and have been testing a lot more than other countries and therefore it shows the true numbers. Just like SK has. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

So 130 is the new 90 - better get used to it, I suppose.

But hey, it could be worse, look at the UK where they've also only been testing people admitted to hospital.

Not to mention that other disaster story, the USA.

New Covid-19 cases rise by 136

By The Nation

800_da84f2898cf15c3.jpg?v=1585547147

Thailand’s total number of Covid-19 patients rose to 1,524 with 136 new cases confirmed over a 24-hour period, Dr Sukhum Karnchanapimai, permanent secretary for health, said on Monday (March 30).

He added that since March 12 more Covid-19 patients had been found outside Bangkok. As of March 29, 54 per cent of Covid-19 infections were found outside Bangkok.

The areas that are under strict monitoring for spread of the virus are: Bangkok Metropolitan Region, Chonburi, Phuket, Krabi, Deep South provinces (Narathiwat, Pattani, Songkhla and Yala), Sa Kaeo, and Ubon Ratchathani province.

He asked people to maintain a distance of more than two metres otherwise the risk of infection is 67.8 per cent higher.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30385062

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-03-30

1 minute ago, Eibot said:

Read that aswell. I believe it was on The Express. Their other article was that they found an Alien skull on Mars that looked suspiciously a lot like an ordinary rock ????

Covid-19 has a very distinctive death. You choke. You cannot simply put that down to another cause than Covid-19. I have a feeling that other countries question the numbers of Germany (aswell as the USA), due to the low death numbers. Truth is that they just test and have been testing a lot more than other countries and therefore it shows the true numbers. Just like SK has. 

A real scholar. Nurse: "This patient's kindeys are failing. Infact there's multiple organ failure due to coranavirus." Doctor: "Nah! He's choking."

• Like 1

I read that now that infections in provinces rise faster than in BKK. Probably because of returnin Thais and the lax attitude outside Bangkok and its surroundings.

Could skyrocket in the provinces unless they starting to do what BKK did.

• Like 2

Just now, webfact said:

The areas that are under strict monitoring for spread of the virus are: Bangkok Metropolitan Region, Chonburi, Phuket, Krabi, Deep South provinces (Narathiwat, Pattani, Songkhla and Yala), Sa Kaeo, and Ubon Ratchathani province.

What does strict monitoring mean. I am currently within the Bangkok Metropolitan Region and I haven't seen any monitoring apart from having my temp taken going into Lotus which of course is a very, very flawed way to monitor.

• Like 1

Hardly a surprise that the numbers are increasing in the provinces given the mass exodus of jobless Thais from Bangkok last week... In the boondocks the average Somchai under the age of 30 lacks the self discipline of social distancing/self isolation, so the numbers will only increase, assuming they reported given the lack of test screening centers.

6 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

A real scholar. Nurse: "This patient's kindeys are failing. Infact there's multiple organ failure due to coranavirus." Doctor: "Nah! He's choking."

Kidney failure in itself is not deadly. Sure there are exceptions due to the virus, but 99% of the patients dies because a lack of oxygen . 

Edited by Eibot

39 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Over 2000 by end of the wk. Maybe more. It depends how they are testing and assigning cause of death. Heard that Germany is putting cause of death down to underlying conditions. If you get the virus and that complicates the uderlying condition that leads to death then it's the underlying condition that killed you. The fact that this would not have happened if you did not get the virus doesn't matter. Germany as of yesterday: 62,465 cases with 541 deaths. Anyway I still think Thailand's numbers do not reflect what's happening. Back to Don't test. Don't tell. And also how are they determining cause of death. Still where i am there's high 90% wearing masks. The next couple of wk should show if this is flattening out. Of course if there was more much testing we would be seeing a different picture.

Yep, and my insurance company are already quoting this in preparation for not covering me should I catch the virus. THey never miss a trick.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, wasabi said:

Numbers looking good time to book a hotel in Pattaya and eat some Som Tam on the corner.

Whose Som Tam, is she just an ordinary dish, or is she spicy with bala, hope she does not have the crabs.....

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

You're having a laugh aren't you? AREN'T you?

Acute kidney failure can lead to loss of kidney function and, ultimately, death.

I guess muliple organ failure isn't going to kill you. 

"Honey are you ok?" "Yep! Just having a bout of multiple organ failure. Be ok in a minute".

It CAN yes ????

It doesn't mean it WILL. Anyway, back to the point - No, I don't think Germany is doing anything dodgy, I think they just test a lot more compared to other countries.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Well, I bet people with HIV have died from it.

If they did not have HIV probably a much bigger chance to live.

So, I would say HIV was the cause.

You dont know what you are talking about.

Only hiv+ people who donot know they have it might be at additional risk and with a late diagnosis.

Because of the treatments now people living with hiv are at no greater risk with covid 19 than anyone else.

The high risk co morbidities for covid include heart disease, hypertension, chemo therapy and generally lung related diseases. 

Smokers and overweight people are at higher risk with covid.

• Like 1

Unless there are people going round deliberately spreading rumours these figures seem wrong. Over the weekend my BIL told my wife that near where he lives ( a town NE of Rayong city, not giving exact place scared of prison ) that 3 people had died and 6 were infected and the locals were scared now. My BIL is far from a rumour monger so he must believe it. Also, the same day I was told that a resort worker had been diagnosed with the infection and all this at the same time that the BIB clamped down in Rayong closing bars & restaurants except for takeaways and clearing the beach. This didn't stop people driving from Bangkok so where are the road blocks?