Has any Thai-foreign dual passport holder ever got your foreign passport stamped "out" without leaving Thai soil?

On 1/21/2020 at 11:10 AM, Sydebolle said:

You do not even have to leave Thailand. The immigration office of the province you are - and if they are too ignorant, then see the boys at Chaengwattana - stamp you out on the foreign passport and enter a stamp into your Thai passport with a remark "changed nationality", in Thai "เปลี่ยนสัญชาติ". So happened with my kids. 

I am a Thai - Japanese dual passport holder with a non-immigrant B visa that's not renewable and expiring end this month (April 30) .  

Someone claims in another thread that he had his Thai-foreign dual national daughter stamped "out" on foreign passport and stamped "in" on Thai passport at Chaeng Wattana without ever physically leaving Thai soil.  

Could this really be done for dual Thai national and if so can this be done at Chamchuree Square One Stop Service Center (where I did 90 days report and visa/WP renewal for the past 20 years)?  

My Thai wife had been calling both Chaeng Wattana and Chamchuree Square One Stop Service Center repeatedly but not only did the call ever got through but she claims she no longer even hears ringing tone so she gave up calling a week ago.  

I had a flight to Medan, Indonesia booked for an exit flight during now-cancelled Songkran holiday that I intended to fly for the sole purpose of ending the visa/WP renewal loop and return to Thailand with a new Thai passport to start afresh as a Thai citizen but the flight has now been cancelled and Indonesia banned entry to all foreigners since yesterday.  

Is there any amnesty for dual Thai citizen in limbo like me who can't leave Thailand or seek visa extension?  

Edited by Nordlys

There is no need for you to do this. You can get a 1 year extension of stay for 1,900 baht on the basis that you are a Thai citizen. The 1 year extension of stay will be entered into your Japanese passport.

As far as immigration is concerned you will still have to comply with TM30 and 90 day reports.

If you do not leave Thailand after 1 year, you can get another 1 year extension on the same basis.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Nordlys said:

I am a Thai - Japanese dual passport holder with a non-immigrant B visa that's not renewable and expiring end this month (April 30) .

It cannot be done without leaving and re-entering the country if you are Thai from birth.

The only procedure immigration has for doing it is for those that applied for Thai nationality here. 

As mentioned there is a one year extension of stay you can apply for as a Thai that you could get until you are able to fly out and back to do a passport swap.

You could do now if you found a country you could fly to and back. When entering with your Thai passport you would have to meet these requirements when entering the country.

"2. Nationals of Thailand and those who can enter and transit Thailand must have a letter from the Embassy with the ‘fit-to-fly' health certificate."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, jackdd said:

It sounds like you recently got Thai citizenship and none of your parents is Thai. In this case it is afaik possible without leaving the country.

It is true none of my parents are Thai (permanent residents) but I have dual citizenships since birth.  Do I have to leave Thailand?  

1 hour ago, blackcab said:

There is no need for you to do this. You can get a 1 year extension of stay for 1,900 baht on the basis that you are a Thai citizen. The 1 year extension of stay will be entered into your Japanese passport.

As far as immigration is concerned you will still have to comply with TM30 and 90 day reports.

If you do not leave Thailand after 1 year, you can get another 1 year extension on the same basis.

So do I get the automatic extension just on the ground that I'm a Thai citizen even though non-immmigrant B I have been renewing the past 20 years is no longer renewable?  

Do I need a letter from the embassy of the likes UK embassy is issuing to British tourists stranded in Thailand? My embassy doesn't seem to providing such services, perhaps because there still are planes flying between BKK and Tokyo.  

Edited by Nordlys

21 minutes ago, Nordlys said:

So do I get the automatic extension just on the ground that I'm a Thai citizen

Yes. You get the extension on this basis alone. Thai citizens who enter Thailand on a foreign passport are eligible get this extension.

21 minutes ago, Nordlys said:

Do I need a letter from the embassy of the likes UK embassy is issuing to British tourists stranded in Thailand?

No. You need your foreign passport, your Thai ID card and your house book. Some immigration offices might ask for a slight variation of these documents, so it is best to ask the office where you will be applying.

As a side note, do you realise that if you are Thai you do not need a work permit or any other kind of permission to work, stay, own property in Thailand, own a business in Thailand, etc? You are a Thai citizen and you have the same rights and privileges as every other Thai citizen.

To make life easier for yourself, next time you enter Thailand, use your Thai passport to do so. If you do this then immigration will treat you as a Thai citizen. You will not need to do 90 day reports, TM30's, you will not ever need an extension. And because you are Thai you will not need a work permit either.

As a side note, this makes you very employable, because your company does not need to do any work permit or immigration paperwork for you. You can work for whoever you want, in whatever capacity you want, at any time you want. You can work for multiple companies. Or you can work for yourself.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nordlys said:

Do I need a letter from the embassy of the likes UK embassy is issuing to British tourists stranded in Thailand?

The letter is only needed if you entered the country as a tourist and need a extra 30 day extension.

To make life easier for yourself, next time you enter Thailand, use your Thai passport to do so. If you do this then immigration will treat you as a Thai citizen. You will not need to do 90 day reports, TM30's, you will not ever need an extension. And because you are Thai you will not need a work permit either.

Well and good this idea But when you leave You will be asked where are you flying to and Have you got visa ie to The UK, you will have to show your British passport Because now days you don't get indefinite stamp in your passport or you are allow to keep BRP card after you get UK citizenship. I think may get trouble at Exit from Thailand ?

Take care everyone

2 hours ago, blackcab said:

Yes. You get the extension on this basis alone. Thai citizens who enter Thailand on a foreign passport are eligible get this extension.

No. You need your foreign passport, your Thai ID card and your house book. Some immigration offices might ask for a slight variation of these documents, so it is best to ask the office where you will be applying.

As a side note, do you realise that if you are Thai you do not need a work permit or any other kind of permission to work, stay, own property in Thailand, own a business in Thailand, etc? You are a Thai citizen and you have the same rights and privileges as every other Thai citizen.

As a side note, this makes you very employable, because your company does not need to do any work permit or immigration paperwork for you. You can work for whoever you want, in whatever capacity you want, at any time you want. You can work for multiple companies. Or you can work for yourself.

Thanks for all that.  ????????

Yes, I'm aware I don't really need a WP to work in Thailand.  But not when I came back to Thailand 2 decades ago at which time both my Thai passport and ID card have long been expired after having spent majority of my adult life outside Thailand till I turned almost 40.  At the time I almost forgot I have Thai citizenship and didn't identify so much as a Thai.  ???? 

Now my employment in Thailand is coming to an end, why the non-immigrant B is no longer renewable.  

Lastly, can the extension be done at Chamchuree Square One Stop Service or should I go to Chaeng Wattana?  

I have never once been to Chaeng Wattana Government Complex and One Stop Service is where I have been renewing both my visa and WP the last 2 decades (as well Ratchadaphiseak before it moved to Chamchuree Square).  

Edited by Nordlys

11 minutes ago, Nordlys said:

Lastly, can the extension be done at Chamchuree Square One Stop Service or should I go to Chaeng Wattana?  

It will have to be applied for at Chaeng Wattana immigration after your current extension is formally canceled at the one stop center.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It will have to be applied for at Chaeng Wattana immigration after your current extension is formally canceled at the one stop center.

Thanks, I was hoping that I didn't have to make a trip to Chaeng Wattana but will go there perhaps later this month when hopefully, there is less crowd seeking extension of stay.  ☺️

Edited by Nordlys

On 4/2/2020 at 6:15 PM, ubonjoe said:

And what happens if I fail to do so before my visa expires?  Would I still be eligible for 1 year extension at 1,900 Baht + overstay penalty?  

Do I have to present myself at Chaeng Wattana in person to file an extension or can I hire an agent to do so in my place?  

36 minutes ago, Nordlys said:

And what happens if I fail to do so before my visa expires?  Would I still be eligible for 1 year extension at 1,900 Baht + overstay penalty?

You really need to formally have your extension canceled at the one stop center before you apply for the extension based upon having Thai nationality. You could normally can have the cancelation post dated to the day your job ends to give you more time to get the other one done a Chaeng Wattana. Best not to on a overstay.

37 minutes ago, Nordlys said:

Do I have to present myself at Chaeng Wattana in person to file an extension or can I hire an agent to do so in my place?

I think immigration would insist you be present for that type of extension.

• Like 1

Strange timing to be asking such a question. Borders worldwide are closed.

Wait until they re-open and once they do, ALWAYS use your Thai passport for travel into/out of Thailand. Many countries have made it illegal to use a foreign passport to enter a country they are a citizen of. I find it most bizarre that Thailand hasn't.

18 minutes ago, drbeach said:

I find it most bizarre that Thailand hasn't.

It is actually in the nationality act but it is very hard for to enforce since it requires it to be done as a ministerial decision to do it for those that have Thai nationality from birth,

• Like 1

The “visa amnesty” that Richard Barrow is tweeting about tonight that might come forward... do you think it will be applicable for someone like me whose extension of stay is no longer extendable (renewable)?  Even a 30 days automatic extension is better than nothing if that will reduce the crowd size at Chaeng Watthana...  

9 hours ago, Nordlys said:

The “visa amnesty” that Richard Barrow is tweeting about tonight that might come forward... do you think it will be applicable for someone like me whose extension of stay is no longer extendable (renewable)?

I am sure when the final rules come out you would've needed to apply for a special 30 day day extension already to get the "automatic extension".

• Confused 1

• 1 year later...
On 4/2/2020 at 2:24 PM, blackcab said:

Please allow me to revive this thread.  

I went to the Immigration Bureau at Chaeng Wattana twice this year for different matters but also raised this issue and discussed with the officials there (PR section staffs).  They've all shown keen interest in my case and most of them told me it doesn't matter if my visa expired and I ended up overstaying as foreigner so long I can prove with my Thai national ID card that I'm Thai.  I'm not so sure if I can take my word for it and I'd rather leave a clean immigration record as a Japanese passport holder even if I can continue to stay legally as a Thai.  

BTW is there any name for that extension scheme?  that you say I can apply on the ground that I'm a Thai citizen?  No one at the Immigration Bureau suggested any such extension provision exists on both occasions I visited Chaeng Wattana.  I've since managed to get another 2 years extension of my Non-Imm B visa but it will expire next April and this time around it's won't be extendable as my employment contract will cease next year.  We're closing the company so there's no longer a company to sponsor my Non-Imm B.  How do you extend Non-Imm B visa when your employer ceases to exist?  

The other option I was suggested is to change my visa to marriage visa which I assume I can do without leaving the kingdom....  Showing minimum 400,000 Baht deposit in Thai bank account is not an issue but how do I go around the min 40,000 monthly income when I go out of work?  

I'm asking this as me and my wife were looking for a short, getaway destination for the sake of putting an end to this neverending visa extension loop once and for all and start living afresh as a Thai citizen by leaving with a Japanese passport and returning with Thai (which I got issued for the first since my teenage year last year).  We just got our int'l vaccine passport but unfortunately it looks increasingly like any hope for leaving Thailand without mandatory quarantine in Thailand if not in destination country too is a pipe dream now.  

And as some of you have suggested, they said they can't just give me an exit stamp on my Japanese passport at Chaeng Wattana just because I have a Thai citizenship.  

Edited by Nordlys

40 minutes ago, Nordlys said:

BTW is there any name for that extension scheme?  that you say I can apply on the ground that I'm a Thai citizen?  No one at the Immigration Bureau suggested any such extension provision exists on both occasions I visited Chaeng Wattana.

It is here in immigration order 327/2557. Many Thai's have gotten one due to entering with their foreign passport.

image.png.c3bead79b24d740eee45a16fd39d8b1a.png

• Like 1