Prayut orders halt to arrivals from overseas to curb virus spread

Jonathan Fairfield

3 hours ago, BigBadGeordie said:

Pretty sure there is a section in the constitution which enshrines the rights of all Thai citizens to enter/return to the Kingdom

Surely this act is illegal?

So was unseating a democratically elected government. Again. Whether something is illegal or not has absolutely no relevance in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Quite frankly if every country closed their borders to flights from China in early Jan (of course Dec would have been better) then we would be nowhere close to the situation we are in now. WHO. "International travel is safe". Think they were still saying that in Feb. Called pandemic in March.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

As has been happening in other countries.

In Australia non citizens have been banned for a couple of weeks anyone else arriving has been taken under supervision of the police/army/ border security to a hotel room that they cannot leave for 14 days 

The police and army have been patrolling parks etc and ordering people to leave

No more than two people together in a public area

State borders sealed

I have relatives in the U.K. over 70 they have to isolate for 12 weeks another friend 55 because she has asthma received a letter ordering her to isolate for 12 weeks

Look what is happening around the world

Thailand is a relatively free and open country

have relatives in the U.K. over 70 they have to isolate for 12 weeks

I'm from the UK and my mother is 92 next month and as far as I know the rules regarding isolation are the same for her as anyone under 70.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, expat_4_life said:

Pretty bold now that arrivals are effectively down to zero.

Statistics of international arrivals at Suvarnabhumi:

28 March: 1,834

29 March: 1,795

30 March: 995

31 March: 1,126

What website do you get those figures from.

Cheers

3 hours ago, BigBadGeordie said:

Pretty sure there is a section in the constitution which enshrines the rights of all Thai citizens to enter/return to the Kingdom

Surely this act is illegal?

Im sure not if the PM has emergency powers.

One step at a time.  A week ago, there were many saying this would double daily. It has not done so anywhere. Just follow the rules for now and don't think you know more than the next person.

• Like 1

Oh I am so glad I left and sold my stuff when I still could. Will I return ?...... not likely. The Thai government is now again showing its true face. As long as Pinokkio stays in charge they will not see me again. 

Blocking foreigners and claiming they were/ are bringing in the virus is one thing...blocking your own nationals who want to come back home in a crisis like this because they can bring in the virus is just ridiculous. The time that blocking could have stopped it dear Pinokkio has long been gone.

During Chinese new year I did not hear P.M. Pinokkio about blocking bad foreigners from big brother China because of bringing in the virus. Oh no...then "Brownie" went especially to the airport to greet them. I pitty the Thai people having such a joker at the helm.

• Like 1

I have a Thai friend.  She went to Germany February 15th.  Her Germany boyfriend took her to Spain (Majorka)  about March 10th.  Locked down 2 days later.  Returned to Germany about March 21st.  Refused entry and returned to Spain.  Refused entry and returned to Germany where she was detained even though she still had a week of visa.  Next day deported to Thailand.  Flew on Lufthansa, 400 seats with 4 passengers.

So I guess if that happened now she would be on a perpetual loop, Thailand to Germany to Spain and back again and again.......

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

“Though the number of travelers from overseas has significantly declined, the prime minister believes more need to be done to stem overseas arrivals in order to further flatten the curve,”

Has anyone noticed any posts from TAT recently?

3 hours ago, moe666 said:

The real problem is the people will not lock themselves up for 14 days and have to go out and visit all their friends and relatives spreading the virus

Correct they can't be alone.

Yet for the past four nights a gathering of over 200 people has been taking place...sat close around tables together, no masks, sharing food...it's a funeral.....how many of those will be at their own funeral in a month or so....this cant is barking up the wrong tree

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VBF said:

You missed my point.  By NOT testing, they just don't know so any figures are meaningless.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not having a dig at Thailand - we have a similar situation in UK https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52122761

Yes I get your point I follow the UK news very closely, but I am in Thailand at the moment. I have mixed feelings about testing. The more you test the more you will find, I understand that. But unless you know 100% where the person testing positive has been, testing is pointless. Its only value is for people who are in isolation in case they have it, they can be released to work, ie key NHS people. There must be 1000's across the world who have had it but only mild symptoms and have got better. The serious ones would already be in the stats. There is an anti body test on the way which will show if you have had it or not. I am a great believer in the herd process, where you let people get in and build up a resistance in the community, which was the UK government stance originally before they bowed to media pressure. I think the likes of Norway, Sweden, and Denmark have got it right. Cutting back on tests because there is no point. In my opinion, the whole testing thing is a red herring which later will come out for what it is.

• Confused 1

Too bad they didn't lock down Lumpini stadium few weeks back, or Bangkok a few days ago when the 10's of thousands were fleeing back to their home provinces or home countries fearing a lock down. Too little too late in my opinion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WhyamIhere said:

Just a little too late...should have stopped the Chinese from coming here two months ago.

They did, why do you think they are still coming. China is coming out of it now, Europe is the problem

1 hour ago, nuckyt77 said:

Oh I am so glad I left and sold my stuff when I still could. Will I return ?...... not likely. The Thai government is now again showing its true face. As long as Pinokkio stays in charge they will not see me again. 

Blocking foreigners and claiming they were/ are bringing in the virus is one thing...blocking your own nationals who want to come back home in a crisis like this because they can bring in the virus is just ridiculous. The time that blocking could have stopped it dear Pinokkio has long been gone.

During Chinese new year I did not hear P.M. Pinokkio about blocking bad foreigners from big brother China because of bringing in the virus. Oh no...then "Brownie" went especially to the airport to greet them. I pitty the Thai people having such a joker at the helm.

So where are you living at the moment? I have a home in the UK and one here in Thailand. I can tell you 100% its better now in Thailand. I still can do almost everything I want to do exept go out for a drink and go to my gym.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pookondee said:

Not so long ago the idea of not letting citizens in from just 1 certain country would have been enough.

You can only shake your head and hope the best for the sane people in Thailand.

Thank you for your very kind consideration, shame about the rest ????

Remember when I said almost a month ago the best way to stop this virus is for everyone in the entire world to stay home for two weeks? 

OK, I was only wrong about "two weeks".

Could be two months.

Or two years. ????

Edited by SiSePuede419

57 minutes ago, jimn said:

I still can do almost everything I want to do exept go out for a drink and go to my gym.

Actually, I'm getting some maintenance done on my car today.

Bought some mouse traps and peanut butter at Walmart.

As soon as my favourite Chinese restaurant opens for lunch, picking up some Kung Pao Veggies and Tofu.

Probably will sit on a bench eating it, at least 6 feet away from others.

It doesn't matter where you are at right now. 

But I enjoy being in cool, dry CLEAN AIR sunshine climate, rather than LUNG DAMAGING AIR POLLUTION THAILAND right now.

Right. ????

Edited by SiSePuede419
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jimn said:

Yes I get your point I follow the UK news very closely, but I am in Thailand at the moment. I have mixed feelings about testing. The more you test the more you will find, I understand that. But unless you know 100% where the person testing positive has been, testing is pointless. Its only value is for people who are in isolation in case they have it, they can be released to work, ie key NHS people. There must be 1000's across the world who have had it but only mild symptoms and have got better. The serious ones would already be in the stats. There is an anti body test on the way which will show if you have had it or not. I am a great believer in the herd process, where you let people get in and build up a resistance in the community, which was the UK government stance originally before they bowed to media pressure. I think the likes of Norway, Sweden, and Denmark have got it right. Cutting back on tests because there is no point. In my opinion, the whole testing thing is a red herring which later will come out for what it is.

Fair enough, but your post #40  said "Why is it? There are only 100 cases a day, you are suggesting overkill."

That was what I responded to. If you think about it, taking your comments and mine about testing, basically, we're dammed if we do and dammed if we don't.

We won't know for several months or longer, whether the herd process will lead to a better or worse conclusion.

In that, we're all learning the hard way. ????

• Like 1