Prayut orders halt to arrivals from overseas to curb virus spread

Jonathan Fairfield

1 hour ago, madmen said:

The screws continue to tighten 

I went down to the farm notice my horse had gone ,so shut the gate ,in January this problem had already started ,it was still welcome the Chinese. ,everybody will die or get better until we can all have a injection.  ,just like Polio. ,some old people can still remember  that 

10 minutes ago, davidmann said:

I went down to the farm notice my horse had gone ,so shut the gate ,in January this problem had already started ,it was still welcome the Chinese. ,everybody will die or get better until we can all have a injection.  ,just like Polio. ,some old people can still remember  that 

Mandatory vaccines? er...no. But thanks for reminding us what the agenda is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moe666 said:

The real problem is the people will not lock themselves up for 14 days and have to go out and visit all their friends and relatives spreading the virus

Some actually have to go to work and won't survive 2 weeks at home

1 hour ago, pdtokyo said:

Is the suggestion of barring Thai nationals a world-first?

Can't recall any other country doing that?

Any international lawyers care to comment?

Its only for 2 weeks for heavens sake. Some citizens from some countries are stuck abroad anyway.

1 hour ago, BigBadGeordie said:

Pretty sure there is a section in the constitution which enshrines the rights of all Thai citizens to enter/return to the Kingdom

Surely this act is illegal?

Stop assuming that Thai LAW is like western law, please remember what country you’re in. It’s not called a Third World country for nothing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moe666 said:

The real problem is the people will not lock themselves up for 14 days and have to go out and visit all their friends and relatives spreading the virus

Self isolation is the next step and unless their is compliance and serious policing it will mean nothing. Contact tracing is also a critical tool and will require a diligent, motivated and committed army of workers to trace down anyone known to have had contact with carriers and be sure they isolate themselves for 14 days. Not sure you will get a high enough level of participation within the population for this to be successful. I hope I’m wrong. Time will tell. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Unfortunately he seems to be correct this time.

We have three cases here on Samui. Two were returning Frenchmen arriving in March and the third is believed to be a doctor.

State of emergency trumps the constitution.

2 hours ago, BigBadGeordie said:

Pretty sure there is a section in the constitution which enshrines the rights of all Thai citizens to enter/return to the Kingdom

Surely this act is illegal?

When has that ever stopped them? Or any government?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, VBF said:

@jimn   There are only 100 reported cases a day

Do you honestly believe that number?

Especially as Thailand isn't testing many people at all!

Why not, no diffence to many countries not testing. Thailand is on a downward trend 147, 136, 127, 120 and now 104. I fully expect this trend to continue. Who is to say Thailand have by luck got this spot on. Early infections not noticed or reported in January due to 1,000's of Chinese in the country? Maybe Thailand now has a herd poulation. There is no sign at all of cases doubling every day. In any case even if the number of cases were wrong, there would still be many deaths. Before anyone says it, cases of neumonia would be seen to go through the roof, but neither has happened.

• Haha 2

Well, at first I thought it was a joke, like you're panicking over a flu epidemic; now everyone is running around like a chicken with its head cut off I'm taking it more seriously. I'll self-isolate until they work out a vaccine or herd immunity kicks in. Luckily, for me, it 's not so difficult - retired, no close neighbours, almost a year on my extension. The positive thing is that this is a big incentive to kick the smoking habit. The negative thing - I really miss my weekly swims. Anyway, the fiction of going home to the UK and throwing myself on the mercies of the NHS, should some potentially very expensive life threatening situation develop, has gone down the drainhole, it's pour the whisky down my throat darling£; which gets me first - the disease or the alcohol is a moot question. Ha!

Edited by nausea
Punctuation.

2 hours ago, madmen said:

The screws continue to tighten 

As has been happening in other countries.

In Australia non citizens have been banned for a couple of weeks anyone else arriving has been taken under supervision of the police/army/ border security to a hotel room that they cannot leave for 14 days 

The police and army have been patrolling parks etc and ordering people to leave

No more than two people together in a public area

State borders sealed

I have relatives in the U.K. over 70 they have to isolate for 12 weeks another friend 55 because she has asthma received a letter ordering her to isolate for 12 weeks

Look what is happening around the world

Thailand is a relatively free and open country

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, nausea said:

Well, at first I thought it was a joke, like you're panicking over a flu epidemic; now everyone is running around like a chicken with its head cut off I'm taking it more seriously. I'll self-isolate until they work out a vaccine or herd immunity kicks in. Luckily, for me, it 's not so difficult - retired, no close neighbours, almost a year on my extension. The positive thing is that this is a big incentive to kick the smoking habit. The negative thing - I really miss my weekly swims. Anyway, the fiction of going home to the UK and throwing myself on the mercies of the NHS, should some potentially very expensive life threatening situation develop, has gone down the drainhole, it's pour the whisky down my throat darling£; which gets me first - the disease or the alcohol is a moot question. Ha!

No headless chickens at this house

Don't panic Mr Mannering !!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, expat_4_life said:

Pretty bold now that arrivals are effectively down to zero.

Statistics of international arrivals at Suvarnabhumi:

28 March: 1,834

29 March: 1,795

30 March: 995

31 March: 1,126

The figures that you have provided above for international arrivals at BKK , with a few exceptions, will be Thais nationals returning home.

If you can recall, on the 25th March the Prime Minister announced on TV the first stage Emergency Decree, namely: 

"All foreigners will be banned from entering the Kingdom in order to combat the import of Covid-19. This decree will come into affect from midnight tonight (25th) and remain in force until the 30 April 2020.

The decree bans all foreigners from entering Thailand at all entry points, the exception being shippers, diplomats, drivers, pilots and others permitted by the Prime Minister".

Absolutely, while he let them in from China & Hong Kong  for how many weeks too long?

Close it down for 3 weeks Finish.

As to Thais returning home, I do not think you can stop them (nor you should)

but they should have to stay in an isolated camp situation for 14 days.

Just commander somewhere & do it Boss

Obviously, not closing the borders early was a huge mistake. Also, letting  Thai workers  from S Korea etc enter Thailand and disappear without any testing or isolation, what were they thinking ? Those decisions will cost Thailand dearly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wmlc said:

Nowhere is the article does it say that 100% of arrivals will be halted. Why does the headline not match the article. Confused.

Because the journalist also does not understand double speak. This whole global charade is compounding the fear of death and nature doing its gig ! 

Reducing the DNA / genetic code to to its own immune development. 

Global fearing mongering at its best. 

the sheer arrogance and fear of the human ego of what nature is and does !