Do You Avoid Silom/suk When With Your Gf

Furbie

do you see any thai couples coming there on their own?

Many thai couples are abound - what planet are you on??? :D

out of curiousity can you give me specific bars/restaurants where you see thai couples in the farang red light district. thanks.

Tony Roma(s), Big Dog(s), Sin, Titanium, HRC, Exchange, Dubliner - list is endless. :D However perhaps we are just lucky to see Thai couples in Bangkok no less??? :o

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many thai couples are abound - what planet are you on??? :D

out of curiousity can you give me specific bars/restaurants where you see thai couples in the farang red light district. thanks.

Tony Roma(s), Big Dog(s), Sin, Titanium, HRC, Exchange, Dubliner - list is endless. :D However perhaps we are just lucky to see Thai couples in Bangkok no less??? :o

OK, I have not been to any of those places.

If there is a large age difference, then you will always get snide comments or people thinking the worst.

especially from suk soi 1 to soi 22, apart from the selective upscale restaurants or clubs it really is the pits for the most part to take any loved one.

nowadays in bkk, every district has good restaurants, clubs, pubs, wine bars etc so they really is no need to take your missus to that area of suk or some areas of silom road and be harrassed by ignorant people.

What if you can't afford their fancy prices?

If there is a large age difference, then you will always get snide comments or people thinking the worst.

especially from suk soi 1 to soi 22, apart from the selective upscale restaurants or clubs it really is the pits for the most part to take any loved one.

nowadays in bkk, every district has good restaurants, clubs, pubs, wine bars etc so they really is no need to take your missus to that area of suk or some areas of silom road and be harrassed by ignorant people.

What if you can't afford their fancy prices?

huh? id imagine that prices are just as high in the tourist/expat areas. i dont really think calling silom a farang area is a fair. there are tons of thai people and thai restaurants even opposite patpong. i wonder what they think about those thai teenagers who hang around sala daeng bts with "Sexy DVD" signs. youd think that thai police could get rid of them or what?

one of the strange thing ive noticed about a lot of farang is that they have no reservations about parading around with prostitutes on monday but at the same time they are mad on friday when they take the girl from their office out and people think she is of a similar status as the girl from monday.

many of the guys who are now in long term relationships now with a good girl spent time in these areas with the not so good girls, so why are you so angry when they think your current girl is a working girl. maybe they just remember your face from last month.

(i do not mean this at any particular person here, but i have seen this type of hypocrisy from many many many farang in Thailand)

I try to avoid the lower Sukhumvit and Silom areas if at all possible.

Me too. Nothing worse than waiting to cross the road at the top of Suk soi 4 with your new friend only to see a couple of friends from the previous night waiting on the other side. :o

Tony Roma(s), Big Dog(s), Sin, Titanium, HRC, Exchange, Dubliner - list is endless.

Do many Thai couples go to these places? I admit I've seen a few in Tony Romas, and I was surprised they would still negotiate the freelance prostitutes, West African drug dealers and ladyboys outside to go there.

And as for Titanium, does anyone in their right mind ever go there, regardless if they are a Thai or foreigner?

Tony Roma's? Been a couple of times and I was surprised to see Thai couples.......Why?, cos' it is a very very overpriced TGIF - but not so "good" (I like TGIF!). certainly not a HISO restaurant. Last time I recall seeing that the lady Patholigist (?) with the funny hair was their. Maybe afterwards she heading to Thermae? :D:D ........ONLY for respectable reasons of course! (to meet some Japanese Tourists?).

When we walk down Sukhumvit (me 40, her 36) I am sure many folk DO think we are "Punter & Hooker"..........cos' I do look like a drunken sexpat (even when sober :D ) and she does have a "subtle hint" of Junky ho' about her............but given the amount of hours we have spent up and down lower Sukhumvit (seperately and together) this is perhaps not surprising :o...........I suspect that anywhere in Thailand we go / went that more than a few would be at least "curious" as to how we met. But for us, C'est la vie :D ............for others though I can understand that it would be annoying.

Funnily enough I don't recall ever having the negative experiance / comments from either Farang men or Farang women that others describe - possibly because the wife does have a "subtle hint" of.............."cut yer throat and sh#t down yer neck" about her :bah:

Edited by Jersey_UK

Maybe if you took a poll of the amount of blokes in Thailand who do infact have ex-bargirl wives then you'd understand the stereotype? :o

Or maybe it would prove the stereotype totally wrong! who knows.

flip side of the coin - if an englishman for instance brought a thai girl/woman back to england,he/she will be judged far more and talked about than in thailand.

its always gonna happen.even if the thai girl is of good position.people love to gossip and judge,i do it myself as do most people.

but the facts are,most westerners with a thai girl are a fair bit older than the girl(those who call them girlfriends anyway)this is why here in britain we refer to 'thats paid for',that just how it goes.where as i know lots of young english who think because they do it,and dont have to pay for it(because of the guys looks and young ages) then they are not as bad as the ones that pay for it.

in fact they all pay for it in one way or another with bg's as they pay for drinks,even if they never have to pay for sex etc.

Edited by Chiangmai Foxy

why do you care? i love thailand but it seems like everyone i know is obsessed with sex and prostitution. it seems to play such a small role in the lives of thai people but such a big role in the lives of farang. if i am with two other farang from work and another farang walks by with his young girl, then its about a 99% chance that one of them will comment about it, talk about it, debate it, etc. it gets dull after awhile.

one of the strange thing ive noticed about a lot of farang is that they have no reservations about parading around with prostitutes on monday but at the same time they are mad on friday when they take the girl from their office out and people think she is of a similar status as the girl from monday.

many of the guys who are now in long term relationships now with a good girl spent time in these areas with the not so good girls, so why are you so angry when they think your current girl is a working girl. maybe they just remember your face from last month.

(i do not mean this at any particular person here, but i have seen this type of hypocrisy from many many many farang in Thailand)

If you would have spent longer on Thaivisa you would have realised that the guys here only date or marry accountants or lawyers and then, only if they are realted to Generals, Princes etc...

Oh, and they always start the description with "my girl is not a bar girl, she worked at (insert accounting, lawyer, marketing firm - here) and is (inser Hi-So, related to a general, or in fact some sort of princess - here)".

Really when I meet people who when first meeting their wives or girlfriends feel the need to state their occupation, my first thought is "so, you met her in a gilry bar then".

Many thai couples are abound - what planet are you on??? :o

where is this red light district you speak of? I know of nana and cowboy and the odd bar in between, but red light district? I live on soi 11 and see thai couples all the time.

coppers, chili culture, tapas, charlie browns and rosabien are 3 restauraunts where i see thai couples often. Then there is bed supperclub. oh and the indian restauraunt. and the federal hotel coffee shop. and la piola, and limoncello, even the the german beer garden on occasion.

i think perhaps you should spend some time outside the bars where the rest of us in thailand live.

farang red light district. that is like saying downtown bangkok.

why do you care? i love thailand but it seems like everyone i know is obsessed with sex and prostitution. it seems to play such a small role in the lives of thai people but such a big role in the lives of farang. if i am with two other farang from work and another farang walks by with his young girl, then its about a 99% chance that one of them will comment about it, talk about it, debate it, etc. it gets dull after awhile.

Thai(s) are more obsessed with sex/prostitution - gek, mia nois, and not to mention biggest clients of play4pay are thai(s) (90%). Yes -its rather boring, if everyone minded there own business and kept their snide remarks to themselves perhaps thailand would be a better place. :o

The only time it came close to actually anoying my wife was once when checking into a hotel in Pratunam. We only had one bag between us and I can see how it could have looked, the day manager asked for a passport for check in and and my wife was quite happy to provide her Austrailian Passport, the change in attitude was noticable

I dont mind how most people veiw me but some of my extended Thai family belive that I am a walking ATM, I resent that - I am taller than a ATM

If you would have spent longer on Thaivisa you would have realised that the guys here only date or marry accountants or lawyers and then, only if they are realted to Generals, Princes etc...

Oh, and they always start the description with "my girl is not a bar girl, she worked at (insert accounting, lawyer, marketing firm - here) and is (inser Hi-So, related to a general, or in fact some sort of princess - here)".

Really when I meet people who when first meeting their wives or girlfriends feel the need to state their occupation, my first thought is "so, you met her in a gilry bar then".

It's a shame that most guys feel they have to quickly communicate facts to prove their partner is a decent girl, but it's pretty obvious why they have to. Look at how many young and older guys there are with girls so dodgy they'd look out of place in CM2, not to mention those girls who try a little too hard to look hi-so but end up looking like a Ratchada girl with slightly darker skin and a secretarial job mainly to pay the weekend's Qbar entrance.

I see no problem with guys mentioning the background or job of their partner to distinguish them from the majority, but an office job doesn't just give them the thumbs up, other factors come into it which the Thais especially will be more receptive to: looks being in the same league, girl's height and skin colour, attire of both, speech, body language, close ages.

Sometimes no matter what you do, some people will always assume a Thai/farang couple is dodgy (taxi drivers talking down to the girl and hi-so closed-minded folk for example). You have to make quite an effort not to be placed in that category, but I for one like to destroy their prejuduces. My wife, her colleagues and her family also care about reputation and being quickly judged. Contrary to some other posters, I find being longer in Bangkok makes me want to make more of an effort to dress better (instead of "giving up"), I believe that 80% of Thai girls WOULD date a decent foreigner if given the chance of meeting him in the right circumstances (as opposed to 80% wouldn't)...and yes, that even goes for the middle classes/white skinned/wealthy ones. Whether they're generally compatible with foreigners is another matter. I also choose to avoid Silom at night, Nana at any time and also English pubs with my partner. In UK I've never had any looks or comments that refer to my wife being "bought" or possibly being a "naughty" girl.

Edited by CarlBkk

It's a shame that most guys feel they have to quickly communicate facts to prove their partner is a decent girl, but it's pretty obvious why they have to. Look at how many young and older guys there are with girls so dodgy they'd look out of place in CM2, not to mention those girls who try a little too hard to look hi-so but end up looking like a Ratchada girl with slightly darker skin and a secretarial job mainly to pay the weekend's Qbar entrance.

I see no problem with guys mentioning the background or job of their partner to distinguish them from the majority, but an office job doesn't just give them the thumbs up, other factors come into it which the Thais especially will be more receptive to: looks being in the same league, girl's height and skin colour, attire of both, speech, body language, close ages.

Sometimes no matter what you do, some people will always assume a Thai/farang couple is dodgy (taxi drivers talking down to the girl and hi-so closed-minded folk for example). You have to make quite an effort not to be placed in that category, but I for one like to destroy their prejuduces. My wife, her colleagues and her family also care about reputation and being quickly judged. Contrary to some other posters, I find being longer in Bangkok makes me want to make more of an effort to dress better (instead of "giving up"), I believe that 80% of Thai girls WOULD date a decent foreigner if given the chance of meeting him in the right circumstances (as opposed to 80% wouldn't)...and yes, that even goes for the middle classes/white skinned/wealthy ones. Whether they're generally compatible with foreigners is another matter. I also choose to avoid Silom at night, Nana at any time and also English pubs with my partner. In UK I've never had any looks or comments that refer to my wife being "bought" or possibly being a "naughty" girl.[/b]

I got lots of daft comments & "jokes" along those lines the first few times I was in the UK but she wasn't with me. Once I had taken her to the UK and people had met her, those comments suddenly dried up, which kinda makes me think that this stuff is based on preconceptions at least as much as however your partner may look/act/dress etc etc

I got lots of daft comments & "jokes" along those lines the first few times I was in the UK but she wasn't with me. Once I had taken her to the UK and people had met her, those comments suddenly dried up, which kinda makes me think that this stuff is based on preconceptions at least as much as however your partner may look/act/dress etc etc

Absolutely.

where is this red light district you speak of? I know of nana and cowboy and the odd bar in between, but red light district? I live on soi 11 and see thai couples all the time.

coppers, chili culture, tapas, charlie browns and rosabien are 3 restauraunts where i see thai couples often. Then there is bed supperclub. oh and the indian restauraunt. and the federal hotel coffee shop. and la piola, and limoncello, even the the german beer garden on occasion.

i think perhaps you should spend some time outside the bars where the rest of us in thailand live.

here is the problem with talking to people on the internet. they act in a way that they would never act in real life. there is always some c.unt like ts trying to put words into your mouth or tell you that you should spend less times in the bars when they dont know a single thing about you, where you live etc.

here is the problem with talking to people on the internet. they act in a way that they would never act in real life. there is always some c.unt like ts trying to put words into your mouth or tell you that you should spend less times in the bars when they dont know a single thing about you, where you live etc.

no, i would happily tell you anything i said here to your face, and i wouldn't feel the need to wrongly label you as one of my favourite parts of the female anatomy.

i suffer fools much less lightly on a day to day basis than i do on TV.

perhaps we will see each other downtown or in this vast farang red-light district you speak of

My SO is so 'muay' looking, instead of getting upset about this kind of stereotyping, she gets upset because Thai people start talking to her in English rather than Thai!

But the GF previous to this one, was considerably darker skinned, and I definitely did avoid certain parts of BKK for exactly those reasons. To begin with I was of the opinion that everyone else could think whatever they liked, Im so wonderfully independent we can deal with it blah blah but after a while it really plays with your mind.

I like to play it up, and so does my wife..acting up the stereotype and then dropping the bomb on some presumptuous idiot if they strike up a conversation. My wife isn't even born and raised here and lets just say that our situation differs wildly from how we choose to appear :o God, I've got to get a new hobby.

Whether you go to the bars or not is your business, but I can assume from your post that you don't know where many of the good restaurants in town are – they are along Sukhuwit and Silom and down the sub-sois. Many have already been listed. So, if your knowledge of Suk and Silom is only about the bars, then it is a pretty easy assumption that is where you spend your time.

FYI, plenty of Western couples, Thai couples and mixed couples eat at these places. Suk Soi 11 has Limoncelo, Charlie Browns, and a few other high end places. Suk Soi 33 has several good Japanese places and two good Italian places (usually populated with families despite being smack in the middle of a red light street). Suk Soi 1 has a great Italian place. Suk Soi 8 has a great Indian place. Cabbages and Condoms and Crepes and Co are both off Suk. One of the three best steak houses in town is in the JW Mariot, Suk Soi 2. On Soi Convent (off Silom) there is Coyotes (the Mexican restaurant in case you did not know that), down Sala Daeng (off SIlom) is Zanoti, on Silom there is Pizza Maria, and all the new high-end places around there as well, including Japanese and Italian. Silom also has Mikes, which while not high end, has a completely mixed crowd. Oh, and what about Central Shopping Complex on Silom, does it meet with your approval, several places to eat inside.

Ahh, its good to live in BKK and enjoy the finer things....

I always avoid walking anywhere in Thailand with my Thai girlfriend as I always feel like everyone is looking at me thinking that lucky farang guy is pumping that thai girl she must be a sexy biatch, bet she does gr8 in bed and he has a big willy like on the internet :D

Really though, why care what the <deleted> anyone else thinks? <deleted> em! I think if you really need to start to begin worrying about which areas of bangkok you visit with ya woman, cos your scared of what people say or think, you need some assistance, possibly in the form of xanax or prozac taken orally. :D

Believe me, your not that special, it is all in your mind. :o

So, if your knowledge of Suk and Silom is only about the bars, then it is a pretty easy assumption that is where you spend your time.

only a c.unt would make such an assumption.

1. i dont eat in expensive restaurants. i just eat inside shopping malls and in local resterants and perfer to cook by myself.

2. my knowledge of red light districts is that it is bars, that is all i was aware of

so how from these two facts do you come to the conclusion that "i should spend less time going to bars"? what if i told you i live in bangkapi and havent been in either of these areas in two years?

it just seems to me like only a complete c.unt would come up with this of rationalization because on the internet people take out their life frustrations on others.

Edited by realmadrid25

Generally avoid the lower suk areas with my girl. Also, most Thais will size you and your girl up in a matter of seconds They tend to look at the way you are dressed, act and behave when you are together to determine what your class level is and indeed if you are with p4p girl. The thais can distinguish the difference, it's the falang who can't. Most of the time when people are staring at you,t hougt, is because they are jealous and want a piece of your action. So, stop worrying and enjoy your sweatheart. Screw everyone else.

Sometimes no matter what you do, some people will always assume a Thai/farang couple is dodgy (taxi drivers talking down to the girl and hi-so closed-minded folk for example). You have to make quite an effort not to be placed in that category, but I for one like to destroy their prejuduces. My wife, her colleagues and her family also care about reputation and being quickly judged. Contrary to some other posters, I find being longer in Bangkok makes me want to make more of an effort to dress better (instead of "giving up"), I believe that 80% of Thai girls WOULD date a decent foreigner if given the chance of meeting him in the right circumstances (as opposed to 80% wouldn't)...and yes, that even goes for the middle classes/white skinned/wealthy ones. Whether they're generally compatible with foreigners is another matter. I also choose to avoid Silom at night, Nana at any time and also English pubs with my partner. In UK I've never had any looks or comments that refer to my wife being "bought" or possibly being a "naughty" girl.[/b]

I'd agree that it goes a little bit wit the territory, problem beinbg that many people in the UK read papers like the Daily Mail, which are always good at putting in a few sensationalist stories about how Thai girls are bad. I remeber about 4 years ago, there was a usual crap article in the Mail about Thai girls as mail order brides and how they had come over to the UK and ripped old 60 year old Brian off for so much money. It was really a tedious piece of drivel, and funnily enough one of my employee's at the time then had the cheek to ask me if I had to support all of her family and did I pay them. Suffice to say, her employment didn't last much longer after that comment. Once Mrs Toad was in the UK, I can only say that the experience that I had was very positive, and she was made to feel very welcome in my local village and also the surrounding towns. Even now after being over here together for the last two years people are always asking my parents to send their regards. Maybe, I come from a smaller and more tranquil part of the UK, but I certainly have no time for those people who try to look down on people if they are with someone from a different background. If you are happy, then that is all that matters.